I’m just going to come out and say it - this is the year

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't know.  If Trent Dilfer can win a SB with a monster D, why can't Josh?

I think the league has changed a little too much and I don't think our D is at the same level as that Baltimore D. But who knows? I'll take a Bills Superbowl any day, even if YOU'RE playing QB.

Dilfer also didn't turn the ball over much and was a perfect game manager. They're just not gonna ask that of Allen, even if it may be beneficial in the short term. They're gonna let him sink or swim by taking chances. In the long run, that'll be good in the sense that we'll know if we have right guy or not.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/11/2019 at 1:47 AM, Wayne Arnold said:

This team has what it takes to win 13 games and make a serious run at the AFC Championship.

I’m no homer. Trust me. That said - it’s time we stop being afraid of believing in this team. This isn’t 2004 or 2008 or 2011. 

It’s also time we stop thinking that progress is linear and we aren’t ready yet. Three reasons why 12 wins should be the minimum expectation for this team:

1. The schedule is as easy as it’s going to ever be. Easiest schedule in the NFL going forward. You have to take advantage of that. 

2. The defense is dominant. Third year in this system, they have arrived. Edmunds is on the verge of becoming a perennial All-Pro. Best safety tandem in football. A shut-down corner. And DEPTH. There is no reason for this team to not impose their will on each of the 11 offenses they will face moving forward.

3. The offense is better than they have showed. They aren’t scoring enough points yet. They’re turning it over too much. But they’re moving the ball (12th in total offense). Allen is only going to get better. The brand new pieces should improve as the season goes along. We have seen this offense at its worst - and we have won 4 out of 5 (possibly 5 out of 5 if our QB hadn’t gotten concussed).

No excuses. 12 wins minimum. 

You're a homer, you're unrealistic in looking at this offense and STs unit and the schedule late in the year and saying this.

Some people love to spend the offseason kvetching and moaning. Expecting 12 wins minimum will be an excellent way to virtually guarantee that you have that chance and that everyone around you knows you're both irritating and nuts. 12 wins would be spectacular but is still highly unlikely. This season from minute one looked like we had an easy first half and a brutal second half, and that hasn't changed.

This is a young team, still coming together. If Allen had developed faster, this might not have been such a completely wacked out position. But he didn't and it is.

Expect improvement. We've seen it and it should continue, barring serious injuries.

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The 2000 Raven's D was probably a little better than ours right now.  We have a very good D, but still a good DE (and probably DT, Star has to do more than eat space) away from that equivalent.  Trent Dilfer was a more mature QB than Josh is at this point.  Dilfer was a game manager who did not make mistakes, Josh will never be that and makes too many dumb mistakes at this time in his career.

It would be nice to go to the SB this year, but I think it is probably too soon to expect that.

I basically stole your post, but it wasn't intentional!

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I basically stole your post, but it wasn't intentional!

All good!  Great minds think alike ?  Seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks we're still a little ways off on offense and defense; more so offense.  One aspect that isn't being discussed is special teams.  Is it me or does it seem like Danny Crossman is still the coordinator?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't know.  If Trent Dilfer can win a SB with a monster D, why can't Josh?

Was Dilfer a 2nd year man when he won that SB? Was he a gunslinger?

More, Dilfer's 2000 Ravens had the 2nd ranked STs unit in the league that year, according to DVOA. Think the Bills end up near there this year? They had everything except that passing offense absolutely maximized.

I think Josh can maybe do some real damage down the road, with luck and circumstance, assuming his development keeps going well over the next year or three (which is an awful lot to assume, but go with me for a minute). Just not yet.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:28 PM, Hebert19 said:

Issue is the league will not be this up for grabs next year.   We can beat the elite teams this year.   With even average play from allen we beat the Pat's 2 games ago and no one else really scares me...including the chiefs. 

No you dont. Pats where not losing that game no matter how bad there offense looked. 

You guys saying Dilfer was a game manager have short memories.  Trent Dilfer was extra horrendous that season.  136 yards per game, threw a int once per 20 passes attempted. They did everything in their power not have him throw That D only gave up 10 pts a game

10 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

You guys saying Dilfer was a game manager have short memories.  Trent Dilfer was extra horrendous that season.  136 yards per game, threw a int once per 20 passes attempted. They did everything in their power not have him throw That D only gave up 10 pts a game

:lol: Indeed.

But just like there are good gunslingers and bad gunslingers, there are good game managers (skilled in some things) and Trent Dilfer game managers (hand the ball of, Trent).

On 10/10/2019 at 12:52 PM, Another Fan said:

Gotta hope everybody still says healthy but agree with the OP.  Hopefully there not gonna be happy winning 9 games and sneaking into the playoffs 

well we can't win the division unless the patriots collapse. there might not be a difference between winning 9-10 games or winning 12 games. 

Been saying it for awhile, just win the damn division.  It can happen now! 

Without reading all the pages or comments it's all on Allen not turning the ball over. Daboll has to stop passing 75% of the time and take pressure of Allen so that can happen. The O-line run block great = use Gore and Devin more.....   The D is already ready for a SB victory IMO. We need a Offense that can pop 21-28pts a game every week against any opponent. 

Let's go!!!

• Like (+1) 1

the offense will get better  They have been moving the ball.  Need to some short field opportunities, get the turnovers down and maybe let hauscka kick  Is it me or does McDermott not trust the kicker   He sure has passed up quite a few field goals  In 2017 he was happy to trot out house money anytime we breached  the 45 yard line

8 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The 2000 Raven's D was probably a little better than ours right now.  We have a very good D, but still a good DE (and probably DT, Star has to do more than eat space) away from that equivalent.  Trent Dilfer was a more mature QB than Josh is at this point.  Dilfer was a game manager who did not make mistakes, Josh will never be that and makes too many dumb mistakes at this time in his career.

It would be nice to go to the SB this year, but I think it is probably too soon to expect that.

I think the point of the OP is that they don't have to be near some kind of peak as a team.............they have an easy schedule and a very good defense and the AFC(and NFL on the whole) is full of flawed teams...........the Bills could have a better team 2 seasons from now and get taken down by a tough schedule..........or a dominant team could emerge.

The point about improvement not being linear is basically lost on this board where many members haven't really followed the NFL itself closely since the 90's and still remember the days of teams having to earn their dues with multiple playoff trips to reach a SB.    Just two years ago the Eagles won the SB a season after having a losing record the season before.   The Rams were only 2 seasons removed from being terrible under Jeff Fisher when they made the SB under McVay.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/10/2019 at 12:47 PM, Wayne Arnold said:

This team has what it takes to win 13 games and make a serious run at the AFC Championship.

I’m no homer. Trust me. That said - it’s time we stop being afraid of believing in this team. This isn’t 2004 or 2008 or 2011. 

It’s also time we stop thinking that progress is linear and we aren’t ready yet. Three reasons why 12 wins should be the minimum expectation for this team:

1. The schedule is as easy as it’s going to ever be. Easiest schedule in the NFL going forward. You have to take advantage of that. 

2. The defense is dominant. Third year in this system, they have arrived. Edmunds is on the verge of becoming a perennial All-Pro. Best safety tandem in football. A shut-down corner. And DEPTH. There is no reason for this team to not impose their will on each of the 11 offenses they will face moving forward.

3. The offense is better than they have showed. They aren’t scoring enough points yet. They’re turning it over too much. But they’re moving the ball (12th in total offense). Allen is only going to get better. The brand new pieces should improve as the season goes along. We have seen this offense at its worst - and we have won 4 out of 5 (possibly 5 out of 5 if our QB hadn’t gotten concussed).

No excuses. 12 wins minimum. 

Might be 2 shutdown corners...Wallace is allowing virtually nothing on the other side either...

I can see us winning 10 or even 11 games along with getting to the 2nd round, but Allen still has a LONG way to go. The OL is still a work in progress as is the WR corps and the TE's. On D, we're solid, but CB and DE could use a boost.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, CLTbills said:

Yeah... if they can get the offense to 21-24 ppg, I don’t know how we possibly lose a game. 

Yes, I know we’re not going to go 15-1 but... the point is, we will absolutely b in every single game with a shot to win. 

There will be no blowouts against this squad.

I hope this is not famous last words.

• Like (+1) 1

We need Robert Foster back and our line/TEs/RB block better against the blitz. The magic that Josh had to open the field up last year has fizzled as of late now that Brown is being well covered. Foster is another home run guy that makes our WRs even more potent.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

our D gives up only 14  per game.  2nd lowest n AFC.  The Cheats score 32 points per game but only got 1/2 that against us. Don't sell ourselves short.

I also would not be so sure that Coach McDermott won t tell Daboll to protect the football more and take less chances.  O in Titans game looked more ball control oriented to me. And it's smart.

We're set up to make some serious noise this year.  We must take advantage.  Every year is different.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1