I’m just going to come out and say it - this is the year

So far this team hasn't shown a killer instinct to put teams away when they have the chance - every win, we've let inferior teams stick around and have a shot in the 4th quarter.  Hopefully that will change after the bye - but until we see the Defense AND Offense play a complete 4 quarter game, I have a hard time seeing this as a 13 win team.  I do think we're Wild Card team now - but we need a lot more polishing on the offensive side if we're going to make a serious run.

23 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Couple = two

Field goal = 3 points

2 x 3 = 6

Final score: 17-10 

10 + 6 = 16

17 > 16

Answer: YES

You do realize if they score a FG it kinda changes the rest of the game right? 

Or that they missed 4 FGs. 

I am impressed you can actually do math however. 

My point is we got quite lucky. 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Gotta hope everybody still says healthy but agree with the OP.  Hopefully there not gonna be happy winning 9 games and sneaking into the playoffs 

THIS!!

A few years ago Fred Jackson was on his way to winning league MVP (IMHO and according to most NFL pundits) until...................yup, he got hurt halfway through the season.

It's way too premature to make predictions.  However, if everything falls our way we "should' make the playoffs and at least host 1 game.  Sadly, we can't be the 1st or 2nd seed unless we win the division.   

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Are you kidding? Defense is giving up basically 10 points a game (if you take out a pick six and a blocked punt TD).

That is basically the definition of sustainable winning. 

It wasn't sustainable when we were getting fluky turnovers two years ago. We were getting good bounces but not playing well enough to beat a lot of teams. Now, we have the best defense in football. That's sustainable.

If you think the defense is going to hold every opponent to under 20 points your sadly mistaken

22 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They need to improve at finishing drives. Until I see more consistency there I'm going to be a little skeptical. 

We can finish drives, as we are third in red zone offense and we've done quite well when the field is short.  Our issue has been turnovers and sacks that push us out of field goal range.  These will both improve as Josh eliminates some of the mistakes that have hurt him in three of the first five games this season.  

image.thumb.png.7bf0fde21726a28b3ea9a49e29c3bda6.png

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

We can finish drives, as we are third in red zone offense and we've done quite well when the field is short.  Our issue has been turnovers and sacks that push us out of field goal range.  These will both improve as Josh eliminates some of the mistakes that have hurt him in three of the first five games this season.  

image.thumb.png.7bf0fde21726a28b3ea9a49e29c3bda6.png

I don't know if you're purposely being obtuse or if you just don't understand my point. We are 12th in the league in yards per game and we're 26th in points per game. That's because we aren't finishing drives.

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If you think the defense is going to hold every opponent to under 20 points your sadly mistaken

There aren't that many teams left on our schedule that are capable of scoring 20 points against a  regular defense.  I disagree with you.  Maybe not every single team, but we don't have to win every single game either.

I already had the feeling this team was special and talked about it through the offseason. I think we not only get to the playoffs, but win in the playoffs this year. I want to see how they come out of the bye week against Miami. I want to see a dominant performance in all facets given they've had rest and more than ample time to prepare. The only thing that makes me nervous is we either seem to play up to the level of the team we are facing or down to it in a sense. In the end, it's on Josh. If he limits his mistakes, because every QB is going to make them, and doesn't throw the bad interception or take the bad sack then this team has the chance to be standing on the podium in February. Look at the Ravens teams that won the SB, the Tampa team, the Steelers team that won in '06, they all won with defense and just enough offense. If Josh can not put us in bad situations, take what the defense gives him, and play smart football for the rest of the season then why not us?

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You do realize if they score a FG it kinda changes the rest of the game right? 

Or that they missed 4 FGs. 

I am impressed you can actually do math however. 

My point is we got quite lucky. 

Technically (semantics) 

they missed 3 FGs and had 1 blocked.   

The misses can be subject to the elements or wrongly guessing the elements.  a blocked FG shouldn't be a "miss"  

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Technically (semantics) 

they missed 3 FGs and had 1 blocked.   

The misses can be subject to the elements or wrongly guessing the elements.  a blocked FG shouldn't be a "miss"  

hey I appreciate an intelligent post. 

IF we stay relatively healthy, I agree with everything. If Tre’davious, Tremaine, Milano, Levi, JBrown, JA,  p&h, Jerry miss extended time and we could Fall down a tier.  Missing a combination of those players would be tough to overcome in the playoffs.  

Damn.  This thing is actually up in week 5 / 6 ??? 

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

the wild-card round  -   the third-seeded division winner hosts the sixth-seed wild card, and the fourth seed hosts the fifth

Currently it would be the Bills and Ravens 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Do we win the last game if dude can hit a couple FGs?

yes. even if he hit 3 fg's.

that makes it 16-14 Titans before Bills last drive is in winning field goal range. Housmoney then becomes Housemoney

(FYI: I know it does not work this way because if you go back and change one thing, everything after changes too, but fun to speculate)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't know if you're purposely being obtuse or if you just don't understand my point. We are 12th in the league in yards per game and we're 26th in points per game. That's because we aren't finishing drives.

I guess I was accidentally obtuse.  My point was that when we make it to the red zone, we finish drives better than most teams in the league, which I think is really positive.  The red zone is more challenging on offenses where everything is tighter, so I am encouraged by this stat.

I completely agree with you that we haven't generated the points that we should have with how well we've moved the ball this year.  I feel that our offense is better than our points per game would indicate.  Josh's hero ball tendancies have turned the ball over too much and resulted in 20-yard sacks when we were already in field goal range.  I think Josh will make fewer of these mistakes in the second half of the season.

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

I already had the feeling this team was special and talked about it through the offseason. I think we not only get to the playoffs, but win in the playoffs this year. I want to see how they come out of the bye week against Miami. I want to see a dominant performance in all facets given they've had rest and more than ample time to prepare. The only thing that makes me nervous is we either seem to play up to the level of the team we are facing or down to it in a sense. In the end, it's on Josh. If he limits his mistakes, because every QB is going to make them, and doesn't throw the bad interception or take the bad sack then this team has the chance to be standing on the podium in February. Look at the Ravens teams that won the SB, the Tampa team, the Steelers team that won in '06, they all won with defense and just enough offense. If Josh can not put us in bad situations, take what the defense gives him, and play smart football for the rest of the season then why not us?

My answer to why not us is that we have to find a way to beat the Patriots. And until we do it I am going to continue to doubt their ability to do it.

2 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

What team currently on our schedule do you think will score more than 20 on us?

The eagles might, if we see good wentz. I don't think we'll see good wentz. I'm sure the Lamont Jackson fan club will claim they will, but I'm not convinced. Dallas? Again, good Dak or bad Dak?

Edited by Joe in Winslow