I’m just going to come out and say it - this is the year

14 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Unless Allen improves and cuts down on the stupid INTs there’s no way they’ll get to 12/13 wins.  The way they are winning now is not sustainable long term.  Offense needs to find a way to score some more points.  

You aren't supposed to interject reality into this conversation.

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This team has what it takes to win 13 games and make a serious run at the AFC Championship.

I’m no homer. Trust me. That said - it’s time we stop being afraid of believing in this team. This isn’t 2004 or 2008 or 2011. 

It’s also time we stop thinking that progress is linear and we aren’t ready yet. Three reasons why 12 wins should be the minimum expectation for this team:

1. The schedule is as easy as it’s going to ever be. Easiest schedule in the NFL going forward. You have to take advantage of that. 

2. The defense is dominant. Third year in this system, they have arrived. Edmunds is on the verge of becoming a perennial All-Pro. Best safety tandem in football. A shut-down corner. And DEPTH. There is no reason for this team to not impose their will on each of the 11 offenses they will face moving forward.

3. The offense is better than they have showed. They aren’t scoring enough points yet. They’re turning it over too much. But they’re moving the ball (12th in total offense). Allen is only going to get better. The brand new pieces should improve as the season goes along. We have seen this offense at its worst - and we have won 4 out of 5 (possibly 5 out of 5 if our QB hadn’t gotten concussed).

No excuses. 12 wins minimum. 

The part about linear growth can't be overstated.  Many people on here seem to think we're 1 or 2 players away, or that we will be ready next year with one more year of growth, which will equal 2 more wins, etc.  That's not how it works.  Different positions generate different impacts on the team.

Case in point- Edmunds.  This may be a really good defense that might suffer, here and there, from offenses that can exploit potential weaknesses in the scheme.  But, it becomes an unstoppable defense that doesn't scheme away weaknesses if you have a complete player in the middle of the field.  Suddenly, as an opponent, you're forced to attack smaller spots, and the talent in the more specialized positions overcomes you.  That's not linear growth of the defense.  That single player's growth both improves the middle of the field and magnifies the talent of ten other players.

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Unless Allen improves and cuts down on the stupid INTs there’s no way they’ll get to 12/13 wins.  The way they are winning now is not sustainable long term.  Offense needs to find a way to score some more points.  

This is where I’m at basically. Allen has to cut down on his turnovers and the run game has to improve. I’m not talking about Allen running, I’m talking about Gore/Singletary. I think Singletary’s absence is really hurting the offense. Gore can’t do it alone. If this happens then I really think they can be a 11 win team.

Edited by Speedy Beebe
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bring it said:

You could be right! I don’t know about winning the division but hosting a wild card game is a definite possibility

Top seed in all playoff games gets home field. The only way the Bills host a playoff game as a wildcard is if the Bills were seeded 5th and make it to the AFC championship game and the 6th seed also makes it to the AFC championship game. 

12 minutes ago, Bring it said:

You could be right! I don’t know about winning the division but hosting a wild card game is a definite possibility! With a great defense, which travels well usually. We could conceivably get to the AFC championship! What a great way to stick it to the Pats but to beat them to advance to the Super Bowl!! 

One can dream can’t I?

How are we going to host a wild-card game if we don't win the division? :)

37 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This team has what it takes to win 13 games and make a serious run at the AFC Championship.

I’m no homer. Trust me. That said - it’s time we stop being afraid of believing in this team. This isn’t 2004 or 2008 or 2011. 

It’s also time we stop thinking that progress is linear and we aren’t ready yet. Three reasons why 12 wins should be the minimum expectation for this team:

1. The schedule is as easy as it’s going to ever be. Easiest schedule in the NFL going forward. You have to take advantage of that. 

2. The defense is dominant. Third year in this system, they have arrived. Edmunds is on the verge of becoming a perennial All-Pro. Best safety tandem in football. A shut-down corner. And DEPTH. There is no reason for this team to not impose their will on each of the 11 offenses they will face moving forward.

3. The offense is better than they have showed. They aren’t scoring enough points yet. They’re turning it over too much. But they’re moving the ball (12th in total offense). Allen is only going to get better. The brand new pieces should improve as the season goes along. We have seen this offense at its worst - and we have won 4 out of 5 (possibly 5 out of 5 if our QB hadn’t gotten concussed).

Looking at next year's schedule, basing it on how good teams are this year (yes it can all change,) it's going to be BRUTAL, with 4 road trips west. So I agree this is the year to make hay. We still haven't seen this full offense yet. Singletary will be back soon, maybe Kroft (not holding my breath.) Does Beane roll the dice and trades a high pick for that last piece of the puzzle? The "Process" says no, but the McBeanes have to see what we all see.

Just now, nedboy7 said:

Do we win the last game if dude can hit a couple FGs?

Yes because we were in FG range at the end.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills are sitting comfortably at 4-1, in order for me to consider and debate us winning 10 games and making the playoffs, I wanted too see us start out 6-2. 

Different staff, different ownership, but still the same city, same football team.  I’ve seen them collapse before, we’ve seen them collapse before.  Let’s not count our eggs before they hatch.  Let me get to 6-2 in our first 8 before I start to seriously consider this team as a playoff contender, let alone a 13-3 AFC Championship team.  4-1 hasn’t won anything yet.  It’s nothing more than a hot start affording the team a little wiggle room.  

EDIT:  I will admit though, I am trying my hardest to hold back a smile and grin as I type this.  Even with the above being said, they certainly have given us some reason to believe and be optimistic to this point. 

Edited by elijah

The Bills offense needs to put up at least 21 pts a game to be taken seriously. Last year I think 21 teams averaged over 21 pts a game.

Right now I think I saw 18? If the Bills could average close to 25, it may be a AFC push, but under 20? We will lose games we shouldn’t.

48 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Got to be honest, I see 12-13 wins.  Defense is too damn good not to.

• Like (+1) 1