What are your Favorite football cliches

Don Otreply

On 10/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, DCbillsfan said:

It's a game of inches

Inches:  Any Given Sunday (Al Pacino's Inch By Inch speech)

[ With some Bills associated names which I think fit ]

I don't know what to say really.
Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives all comes down to today.
Either we heal [Jason Croom] as a team or we are going to crumble. [Tyler Kroft]

Inch by inch, play by play till we're finished. [Lorenzo Alexander]
We are in hell right now, gentlemen believe me and we can stay here and get the ***** kicked out of us or we can fight our way back into the light. [Duke Williams]
We can climb out of hell one inch at a time. [Ty Nsekhe]

Now I can't do it for you I'm too old.
I look around and I see these young faces [Tremaine Edmunds] and I think I mean I made every wrong choice a middle-age man could make. [Rex]
I uh.... I pissed away all my money believe it or not.
I chased off anyone who has ever loved me.
And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know when you get old in life things get taken from you, that's, that's part of life.
But you only learn that when you start losing stuff.
You find out that life is just a game of inches. [Corey Bojorquez]
So is football because in game, life or football, the margin for error is so small, I mean one half-step too late or too early you don't quite make it.
One half-second too slow or too fast and you don't quite catch it. [Zay]
The inches we need are everywhere around us. [Patrick DiMarco]
They are in every break of the game, every minute, every second. {Matt Milano]

On this team, we fight for that inch. [Jordan Phillips]
On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. [Jerry Hughes]
We CLAW with our finger nails for that inch. [Frank Gore]
Cause we know when we add up all those inches that's going to make the ***** difference between WINNING and LOSING.  [Micah Hyde]

Between LIVING and DYING. [John Brown]

I'll tell you this in any fight it is the guy who is willing to die who is going to win that inch. [Cole Beasley]
And I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch because that is what LIVING is. [Jordan Poyer]
The six inches is in front of your face. [Mitch Morse]

Now I can't make you do it. [Coach McD]
You gotta look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes, now I think you are going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. [Lee Smith]
You are going to see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows when it comes down to it, you are gonna do the same thing for him.  [Josh Allen]

That's a team, gentlemen and either we heal now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.
That's football guys.
That's all it is.
Now, whattaya gonna do?

2 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

BOOOOO....you beat me to it ?

Beat me too but I think I topped just a word.

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I might be wrong but I always thought Bermans take was an homage to Cosell.

Well, that's a distinct possibility I hadn't considered.  I mean somebody HAD to say that before either of them, but not in that way. I didn't realize it was Cosell---but that makes some sense coming from Berman.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:07 PM, WhoTom said:

A couple of announcer cliches:

"They're gonna call that every time."

"Let's see what the coach dials up for this play."

they have to have 100% replay proof to overturn the call on the field

whatever... they do what they freaking want on a replay no matter how obvious it is

DO NOT REPLY to adolescent screen names lamely veiled as clever encouragement not to reply. It’s a timeless football adage that still applies today. I think it was Papa Bear Halas who 1st uttered the phrase, but it may have been George Preston Marshall..?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, knipajejo said:

Three yards and a cloud of dust 

There was a show on late Sunday night, 11:30PM if I remember correctly, after the games in the early 70's called "The Point After."  It featured ex-Bills, Harry Jacobs, Paul Maguire and Mike Stratton discussing the Bills game of the day.  The Bills really sucked at the time, so there wasn't much positive to be said.  To roughly quote Maquire on one show, " when we played it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust, now it's a half yard and a cloud of excuses."  Paul later went on to be a network broadcaster.   Turns out that show was the highlight of a couple of seasons.

As a side note, if you watched the forward lateral game, Paul Maguire was one of the network announcers for the game.

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

There was a show on late Sunday night, 11:30PM if I remember correctly, after the games in the early 70's called "The Point After."  It featured ex-Bills, Harry Jacobs, Paul Maguire and Mike Stratton discussing the Bills game of the day.  The Bills really sucked at the time, so there wasn't much positive to be said.  To roughly quote Maquire on one show, " when we played it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust, now it's a half yard and a cloud of excuses."  Paul later went on to be a network broadcaster.   Turns out that show was the highlight of a couple of seasons.

As a side note, if you watched the forward lateral game, Paul Maguire was one of the network announcers for the game.

There's a man in town named Paul McGuire---and he is from Buffalo. He's one of my clients. First time I met him I expected to meet THE Paul McGuire. He says he gets that all the time.