First trip to Buffalo!

1 hour ago, otagoyellow said:

If you're seeking wings, definitely hit up The Nine-Eleven Tavern if you get the chance. The owner has been making the wings personally for more than 35 years and they're phenomenal. Anchor Bar can be hit or miss in terms of quality, but the atmosphere is worth a trip. The original Duffs on Sheridan is also a sure bet. 

I have to 2nd this.

I'd recommend avoiding the Anchor Bar. Duff's, 9-11, and many other dive bars have better/more consistent wings (Byrd House in OP actually has great traditional Buffalo wings).

Mammosers and Bar Bill are also great but aren't what I consider traditional. If you're downtown, go to Gabriel's Gate.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

The Holy Trinity + 1:

Ted’s Hot Dogs:  hot sauce and onion

Bocce’s:  Double cheese and pepperoni

Beef on weck at Anderson’s or Charley the Butcher

Wings:  Anchor Bar or Duff’s (refer Duff’s myself)

Do them all!

I'm embarrassed to ask this as I have been away from WNY for many years, but what's the plus one?  Hot dogs, pizza, weck or wings?  Seems more like a quartet v. a Trinity +1....

Edited by chaccof

2 minutes ago, chaccof said:

I'm embarrassed to ask this as I haven't lived in Buffalo in many many years, but 

I'm embarrassed to ask this as I have been away from WNY for many years, but what's the plus one?  Hot dogs, pizza, weck or wings?  Seems more like a quartet v. a Trinity +1....

Yeah more a quartet.  If you gel a gun to my head the three would be beef on weck, wings and Ted’s.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The Holy Trinity + 1:

Ted’s Hot Dogs:  hot sauce and onion

Bocce’s:  Double cheese and pepperoni

Beef on weck at Anderson’s or Charley the Butcher

Wings:  Anchor Bar or Duff’s (refer Duff’s myself)

Do them all!

def. go to Duffs over anchor bar 100 times out of 10

• Like (+1) 1

It's odd to me that there are Bill's fa s who have never seen a game in Buffalo.  How doesNJ one become a Bills fan without being from Buffalo?  I mean, I know how, but it seems odd.  

So good for you!  If you've enjoyed being a Bills fan without going to a game, you're REALLY going to enjoy this.  Jave a great time. 

And if you want the real experience, you have to get your beef on wreck at Schwabl's.

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get why folks are recommending Duff's and other places over the Anchor Bar.

But why do people go to Independence Hall in Philly?  Because it's the most beautiful building in the city?  Or because it's where history was made?    

seeing a building and eating a food are incredibly different experiences, and not even comparable 

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

@plenzmd1 Great document for first timers.

As for the mud lot, I have parked there a bunch of times. It is convenient for anyone needing to head east on southwestern as you can get out very quickly. It also has the benefit of being close to the stadium seeing it is right in front of the main lots. Definitely a big party lot and the crowd tends to be younger than some of the other places I have parked.

Major con that you can add to your document that I have found is that when you leave you are literally driving over piles of garbage. Not sure how it compares to your description of the ECC lot but the last couple of times I parked in that lot there honestly was no way to avoid driving over piles and piles of trash to reach an exit. Might not matter to most but for me all I could picture was accidentally going over a beer bottle and puncturing a tire which would make my 2+ hour drive home even longer. I try not to park there anymore.

Kettles is a decent lot and there is another small one right next to it that is a good location as well though it is all grass so can also be muddy depending on the weather. Less expensive and a little less crowded with a not a bad walk to the stadium. There isn't as much of a "party" scene over there so it could be too tame for some or perfect for someone looking for a slightly more low key tailgating experience.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

@plenzmd1 Great document for first timers.

As for the mud lot, I have parked there a bunch of times. It is convenient for anyone needing to head east on southwestern as you can get out very quickly. It also has the benefit of being close to the stadium seeing it is right in front of the main lots. Definitely a big party lot and the crowd tends to be younger than some of the other places I have parked.

Major con that you can add to your document that I have found is that when you leave you are literally driving over piles of garbage. Not sure how it compares to your description of the ECC lot but the last couple of times I parked in that lot there honestly was no way to avoid driving over piles and piles of trash to reach an exit. Might not matter to most but for me all I could picture was accidentally going over a beer bottle and puncturing a tire which would make my 2+ hour drive home even longer. I try not to park there anymore.

Kettles is a decent lot and there is another small one right next to it that is a good location as well though it is all grass so can also be muddy depending on the weather. Less expensive and a little less crowded with a not a bad walk to the stadium. There isn't as much of a "party" scene over there so it could be too tame for some or perfect for someone looking for a slightly more low key tailgating experience.

Thanks for this, will add to the doc!

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thanks for this, will add to the doc!

Edit: Just realized you were talking about a different mud lot, off of 20A. I always thought of the mud lot as the one off of Southwestern right next to the main entrance to the Bills lot off of Southwestern. That one gets real muddy too and on some days when it is real bad they only allow SUVs to park there.

Edited by Metal Man
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Edit: Just realized you were talking about a different mud lot, off of 20A. I always thought of the mud lot as the one off of Southwestern right next to the main entrance to the Bills lot off of Southwestern. That one gets real muddy too and on some days when it is real bad they only allow SUVs to park there.

thats the grass lot brah (which yes, anytime theres rain or snow it turns into mud)

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

thats the grass lot brah (which yes, anytime theres rain or snow it turns into mud)

I guess some of the vernacular was lost on me.

For 20 some years me and my family/friends have always come to the stadium from the east down Sothwestern so always parked on that side of the stadium. Internally we always called that lot the mud lot and everything on the south side of the stadium was kind a mystery to me.

I didn't realize my possible mistake until I looked on google maps and saw that they actually have the lot off of 20a marked as the mud lot.

Sad state when google knows more about my home stadium than me. :oops:

6 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

I guess some of the vernacular was lost on me.

For 20 some years me and my family/friends have always come to the stadium from the east down Sothwestern so always parked on that side of the stadium. Internally we always called that lot the mud lot and everything on the south side of the stadium was kind a mystery to me.

I didn't realize my possible mistake until I looked on google maps and saw that they actually have the lot off of 20a marked as the mud lot.

Sad state when google knows more about my home stadium than me. :oops:

I was just giving you a hard time mostly...and yea I have, and always will park on the same side of the stadium you have. I just go into the official Bills lot, Lot 5 for life baby! Thats why I know about the Grass lot (mud lot to you)

13 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

"No purses, bags (small clear bag accepted), tobacco, lighters, or e-cigs allowed in!"

That's odd, I always see tons of purses being let in.

They are usually pretty strict on that, purses being purses..not the really small ones that hold like a wallet and tissue.

.having said that at the Pats game there was a dude smoking right at the top of the stairs that lead down to the lower bowl from the gates...i was like "dude better put that out they will eject you in a heartbeat for smoking"...so obviously he got his stuff in

Edited by plenzmd1

59 minutes ago, yall said:

I have to 2nd this.

I'd recommend avoiding the Anchor Bar. Duff's, 9-11, and many other dive bars have better/more consistent wings (Byrd House in OP actually has great traditional Buffalo wings).

Mammosers and Bar Bill are also great but aren't what I consider traditional. If you're downtown, go to Gabriel's Gate.

I know we're turning this into a wing discussion and I apologize, but...

I used to love Bar Bill, but lately (as in the last time I was there a year ago), it seems like the wings are both small and overcooked. I've definitely heard great things about Gabriel's Gate. 

For what it's worth, I recently enjoyed a bucket of wings with family at Striker's in West Seneca and both the wings, sauce and blue cheese were excellent. 

• Like (+1) 1