Dave Chappelle pops up in Houston for Suprise One Night Appearance

On 10/10/2019 at 3:15 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

One of my worst experiences at a comedy show was with one of my all time favorites, George Carlin.  I paid a fortune to take a girlfriend to a sold out show in Rochester.  

While it was cool to see him, and we still laughed our asses off, every single joke he did was recycled.  Then again, this was back in 2001 or 2002, so I don’t know if he was even writing any new material.

Saw GC at Harrah’s in Atlantic City in ‘93. We were seniors in college & one guy was from AC. “Everybody give me 5 bucks.” They put us at a table right up front like in “Goodfellas”. George came out, walked right up to our table, “How you fellas doing tonight? Thanks for coming out.”

Most of his material was new. He did the baseball vs. football bit & closed with 50 ways to say, ahem, self-love. My favorite was “shaking hands with the unemployed”.

We used to go to comedy clubs in Philly quite a bit, especially before we turned 21. No one checked IDs & the 2 drink minimum was no problem. Lots of guys you’ve never heard of we’re grinding it out. Being Philly, some idiot would try to heckle and get destroyed. That was fun.

Not sure if anybody has heard of John Caparulo, but he's my brother's absolute favorite comedian. My brother still lives back in Buffalo. He happened to be in Houston on his birthday a few years back. I went to the show to get my brother an autograph, and got one better. He called my brother and wished him a happy birthday and it was the best gift my brother ever got.

43 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Not sure if anybody has heard of John Caparulo, but he's my brother's absolute favorite comedian. My brother still lives back in Buffalo. He happened to be in Houston on his birthday a few years back. I went to the show to get my brother an autograph, and got one better. He called my brother and wished him a happy birthday and it was the best gift my brother ever got.

I like JC.  He's different. 

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Awesome!  I must have caught him at a bad time.  Carlin is one of my all time favorites.  

I, too, saw George Carlin and was not impressed.  This was the early 90s.  Got a free ticket, so I went with my buddies.  It was good ... then there was a "heckler," on whom Carlin spent WAY too much time.  It was painfully obvious that the entire thing was staged.  That's when I got up, went to the bar and waited for the show to end.

I know he was a legend and I absolutely think he was a fantastic comedian.  I just didn't enjoy seeing him live that night.

It's funny, if a comedian comes out and doesnt do anything new it's considered bad, if a band comes out and plays mostly new stuff it's usually bad and the audience want them to play the old stuff....

I guess there are some comedians who have to do "the Hits or what they are known for" when they perform bit even then, people still want that same bit performed with newer material.

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's funny, if a comedian comes out and doesnt do anything new it's considered bad, if a band comes out and plays mostly new stuff it's usually bad and the audience want them to play the old stuff....

I guess there are some comedians who have to do "the Hits or what they are known for" when they perform bit even then, people still want that same bit performed with newer material.

Because they're two different experiences. When people go to see a band that they know, they want to be able to sing along. Of course this varies by genre. A jazz, blues, etc concert, you go in usually not knowing what to expect. But a rock/pop/country concert, that's generally the case. 

Comedy depends on the element of surprise. It's why it's very rare for a comedy sequel movie to do well. It's not that it stops being funny, but you don't laugh at the joke as much, if at all, when you've already heard it. 

Although I've heard Ron White can almost never leave without telling the Tater Salad story.

25 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Because they're two different experiences. When people go to see a band that they know, they want to be able to sing along. Of course this varies by genre. A jazz, blues, etc concert, you go in usually not knowing what to expect. But a rock/pop/country concert, that's generally the case. 

Comedy depends on the element of surprise. It's why it's very rare for a comedy sequel movie to do well. It's not that it stops being funny, but you don't laugh at the joke as much, if at all, when you've already heard it. 

Although I've heard Ron White can almost never leave without telling the Tater Salad story.

I've seen him twice since he got big.   Didn't tell it either time.