Dave Chappelle pops up in Houston for Suprise One Night Appearance

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/10-08-19-dave-chapelle-houston-house-of-blues-october-8-tickets-showtimes-sticks-and-stones/

Show sold out in three minutes. My co-worker got some, I didn't. But his wife bailed so he sold me the other ticket. Sat second row, in a bar of less than 300 people. Made his Netflix special look like Sesame Street. People were offering $500 a ticket to people in line, face value $100. Turns out he's doing another show tonight, and rumor has it tomorrow.

Said he did it with such little notice because of all the controversy he's been causing and didn't want to give time for people to organize a full protest.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Likely testing or new material for another Netflix special. Any good jokes?

It was hilarious. Touched on a lot of topics he did in his Sticks and Stones special, but all completely different jokes, just as funny.

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

If he’s doing multiple nights keep an eye out for a juke joint concert at some point. Bar none, hands down, by a wide margin the coolest event I’ve been to. 

Yeah. The night before he showed up to a bar that has a comedy open mic on Monday nights and did a set. But due to the small size of the crowd, it felt like it was one of those.

22 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It was hilarious. Touched on a lot of topics he did in his Sticks and Stones special, but all completely different jokes, just as funny.

Yeah. The night before he showed up to a bar that has a comedy open mic on Monday nights and did a set. But due to the small size of the crowd, it felt like it was one of those.

whoa, a comedian who comes up with something new?

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

whoa, a comedian who comes up with something new?

One of my worst experiences at a comedy show was with one of my all time favorites, George Carlin.  I paid a fortune to take a girlfriend to a sold out show in Rochester.  

While it was cool to see him, and we still laughed our asses off, every single joke he did was recycled.  Then again, this was back in 2001 or 2002, so I don’t know if he was even writing any new material.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

One of my worst experiences at a comedy show was with one of my all time favorites, George Carlin.  I paid a fortune to take a girlfriend to a sold out show in Rochester.  

While it was cool to see him, and we still laughed our asses off, every single joke he did was recycled.  Then again, this was back in 2001 or 2002, so I don’t know if he was even writing any new material.

i'm not even a 5% fan, but sorta respect if others on here think he's the wisest man who ever lived

he seemed to recycle the same stuff to me from.... 1975 to his death...

your mileage may vary

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i'm not even a 5% fan, but sorta respect if others on here think he's the wisest man who ever lived

he seemed to recycle the same stuff to me from.... 1975 to his death...

your mileage may vary

I don’t know man, as I was born in ‘79.  He did have a couple good HBO specials in the early-mid 2000’s though.  Well, IMO.

14 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don’t know man, as I was born in ‘79.  He did have a couple good HBO specials in the early-mid 2000’s though.  Well, IMO.

I go back to him telling the most patently obvious drug jokes on network TV, and people thinking this was genius stuff...

it's hard to keep it going in comedy, run out of original stuff well before a pop group runs out of licks and lyrics

Edited by row_33

I finally watched Sticks and Stones last night....pretty good, not quite as earth shaking as some made it out to be.  Nothing more risque than what Chris Rock and everyone else was doing 15 years ago.   The world just has infinitely more pussies now.

I did really like the epilogue, especially his story about The Punchline in SF as his favorite club.  A guy who works for me moonlights as a comedian and I've seen him at that club.

• Like (+1) 2

I saw Rodney Dangerfield  a few years before he died (probably 2000). The jokes were probably older than me.  Still was rolling on the floor.  He went at least 40 minutes without even a break for a drink of water.  

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It's funny to me how 'controversial' Chappelle is now. Back when he was doing his show his stuff was way more on the edge, just packaged for television so it was presentable.

Still one of my top 5 standup guys tho. 

He's been going after topics that we're not supposed to make fun of anymore. In the show I saw he:

• Compared Gretta Thurnburg to a Kangaroo in a BLM t-shirt. Cute, makes some good points, but shouldn't be the basis of reasoning for changing legislation.
  • Said the gay rights movement isn't comparable to the black civil rights movement because "you never saw MLK on a parade float in booty shorts."
  • Compared transgender-ism to blackface
  • Said the Me Too movenment, while a good idea, needs to pick their battles and not pick every little thing a celebrity does to try and bring them to the ground and save it for real cases of rape and sexual assault
  • Pointed out that if all of these mass shootings were performed by people of Middle-Eastern decent, they'd be locked up in camps, but because they're white, it's just considered a mental health crisis.
  • Ended by saying free speech is the most important right we have, and that's why it's the first amendment. But the second amendment is there in case they try to take the first one away.

He's not a puppet for either side of the political spectrum which makes him attack-able from both sides.  

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

He's been going after topics that we're not supposed to make fun of anymore. In the show I saw he:

• Compared Gretta Thurnburg to a Kangaroo in a BLM t-shirt. Cute, makes some good points, but shouldn't be the basis of reasoning for changing legislation.
  • Said the gay rights movement isn't comparable to the black civil rights movement because "you never saw MLK on a parade float in booty shorts."
  • Compared transgender-ism to blackface
  • Said the Me Too movenment, while a good idea, needs to pick their battles and not pick every little thing a celebrity does to try and bring them to the ground and save it for real cases of rape and sexual assault
  • Pointed out that if all of these mass shootings were performed by people of Middle-Eastern decent, they'd be locked up in camps, but because they're white, it's just considered a mental health crisis.
  • Ended by saying free speech is the most important right we have, and that's why it's the first amendment. But the second amendment is there in case they try to take the first one away.

He's not a puppet for either side of the political spectrum which makes him attack-able from both sides.  

? yeah he’s glad to hear he still has his unique point of view. As far as the ‘political’ aspect of his comedy...I dunno, I don’t go to entertainers for my policy takes. If they’re funny I’ll listen.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

? yeah he’s glad to hear he still has his unique point of view. As far as the ‘political’ aspect of his comedy...I dunno, I don’t go to entertainers for my policy takes. If they’re funny I’ll listen.

Bill Maher and Dennis Miller for example, both are very funny. But there are times where it seems getting their viewpoint across is more important to them than actually making a funny joke. That's what I like about Dave. I don't agree with everything he says, but he's funny about it either way. He realizes he has the talent to use his humor to make politial/social points, but doesn't forget that 1) He's still a comedian, 2) If the joke isn't funny, it's just ineffective. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/10/2019 at 2:15 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I saw him on his last tour.  Everything he did was new.  He was the definition of legend.