Was the Music City Miracle lateral legal? No bias, please answer honestly

I don't care. It's long gone, and bad calls are part of the game. Let the refs call it like they see it on the field, for better or worse. For the good of the game, I would much rather have questionable calls than instant replay, which ruins the experience in my opinion. 

Edited by skibum
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Back at the time of the game, a physics professor (I believe) at UB wrote a piece which I think appeared in the Buffalo News.

He analyzed everything there was to analyze and concluded the lateral was a forward pass.

I'm sure you can find it if you wander around on Google.

At this point it ultimately comes down to a simple question 

do you believe the refs should hold their flags unless it’s an egregious violation and “let em play” or do you think the flag comes out on anything borderline

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's obvious.  Forward.  He throws it on the line and the ball is caught in front of the line.

End of story.  The ball went forward, gained yardage.  Slow it down and look at it. Pretty obvious.  I just watched it again.  Ball gains yardage.

It would have been overturned today in HD and the incredible amount of cameras today. The ball was released on 25 and caught ahead of 25. Pretty obvious.

Wychek's foot was on the 25. The ball was not released anywhere near the 25. Where the ball was released is the important part.

The only logical reason that people can think it was a forwards pass is if they simply don't know what the rule is.

• Like (+1) 3

Actually, it wasn't clearly one or the other, which is why it's a controversy.  People are seeing what they want to see.  Where Wycheck and Dyson's body parts were don't matter.  I think the still photo evidence is actually pretty solid.  I don't understand the argument that it isn't.  One of those calls that comes down to the officials judgement.  Either way this was called, I don't think there's enough evidence to reverse the call on the field.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

What's your agenda, exactly?  We beat your sorry Titan team this year, when it counts.

I'm sorry, when have I ever said anything indicating I was a Titans fan?  Thanks for further proving you are delusional.

I won't apologize for observing objective reality. 

Are there any similarities between that team and this team? I think I remember a few ugly wins that year. 13 - 10 type games. Both great defenses. Both 4-1 starts. Cowart was a monster back then. 98 team was 11th in yards gained and #1 in yards against. I think this year they are currently 12th and 3rd, respectively. That 98 team was good, but more of a veteran core I think. This years team has a younger foundation and is being built for the haul. 

On 10/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Watch the video.  Still photos, especially ones spliced together, don't work. A still from anywhere along that axis will tell any story you want.

:20-:23

On 10/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

Correct.  The still photo is not at all clear and is misleading.  The video shows that it clearly was a forward pass.

22 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Stills are ALWAYS MISLEADING. Go anywhere along that axis and it will show anything you want.  Don't even attempt to win an argument by splicing two stills together = FakeNews!®

You have to watch it in real time.  He clearly throws it foward.

Well... At least they got it right last weekend with Marriota's illegal forward pass.  20 years too late!

Except when the ONLY RELEVANT THINGS are where the release point of the throw, and the catch point are.  The ball can get caught in a twister and go zipping up and down and around the field, it doesn't matter.  The ball can be blatantly thrown forward 20 yards into the air, but if a gust of wind blows it back to the line of where it is thrown, that's all that matters.

Still photos are actually perfect for capturing those points as they eliminate the confusing "optical illusions" of the throw.  It's literally the opposite of misleading.  The video itself is what is misleading.  But then again, true homers don't care for facts so any I present to you will face willful ignorance. 

*edit*

I also object to "A still from anywhere along that axis will tell any story you want", because any story you could tell from ANY OTHER STILLS WOULD BE IRRELEVANT.  Seriously, I don't know how many times you have to be told that you can't just ignore the rules of a lateral for it to sink in.  You're doing exactly what you object to about the stills.  You are choosing to tell your own flawed story based on the rest of the "stills" that only incorrectly appear to show the ball going forward based on flawed and easily fooled human perceptions. 

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Back at the time of the game, a physics professor (I believe) at UB wrote a piece which I think appeared in the Buffalo News.

He analyzed everything there was to analyze and concluded the lateral was a forward pass.

I'm sure you can find it if you wander around on Google.

All that proves is professors can be ignorant of football rules as well.  That's the argument from authority fallacy.  "Your facts mean nothing because fancy man with a title disagrees with you".

Also anyone with an agenda can twist numbers and data to come to any conclusion they want.  That's university statistics 101.

Edited by 1ManRaid

Never knew this story...apparently in the offseason after this occurred they sent officials to every team to review rule changes and updates and one of the first clips they showed was this play and said it was an example of how they were good because they got the call right...Phillips said he and the other coaches were fuming and then they kicked them out of the facility.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/04/wade-phillips-kicked-officiating-crew-out-of-bills-facility-over-music-city-miracle/amp/

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Wychek's foot was on the 25. The ball was not released anywhere near the 25. Where the ball was released is the important part.

The only logical reason that people can think it was a forwards pass is if they simply don't know what the rule is.

Adam Schefter has said he had the best view of the play than anyone else from up in his spot in the press box at the game directly above where it happened and he said he immediately thought it was a forward pass and that nothing he has seen since then has changed his mind.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Never knew this story...apparently in the offseason after this occurred they sent officials to every team to review rule changes and updates and one of the first clips they showed was this play and said it was an example of how they were good because they got the call right...Phillips said he and the other coaches were fuming and then they kicked them out of the facility.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/04/wade-phillips-kicked-officiating-crew-out-of-bills-facility-over-music-city-miracle/amp/

An irrational and emotional response to a subject they had biases about.  Just like most on this forum.

39 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

An irrational and emotional response to a subject they had biases about.  Just like most on this forum.

Nah just the truth.

Or are you one of these numnuts who believes all of these blatant pass interference non calls that get reviewed and not overturned aren't really PI?

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Adam Schefter has said he had the best view of the play than anyone else from up in his spot in the press box at the game directly above where it happened and he said he immediately thought it was a forward pass and that nothing he has seen since then has changed his mind.

Then he probably doesn't know the rule or just doesn't know what he saw. I doubt his view was any better than the one video that someone else posted where it's pretty much perfectly angled.

The Ball is thrown right over top the 25 yard line, and is caught on the 25 yard line. So unless it went forward, and wind blew it backwards, it was the most perpendicular of lateral passes. It may have been an inch forward, or an inch backwards. There is no indisputable evidence to over turn the call, so the Titan win. The Bills beat themselves on that play.

The NFL was desperate to turn Nashville into an NFL town after it left Houston. The Titans team, while solid, received many favorable calls as the NFL was trying to establish a new fan base. It was 100% a forward lateral and we were a victim for the NFL influencing a game to fit their narrative and what they felt was good for business.