Was the Music City Miracle lateral legal? No bias, please answer honestly

Worst day of my life. Without too many details: jumped by 3 dudes the night before, smelling salt involved, bloody still at game, section 132 hated me, when Bills took the lead I let them have it big-time, after the forward pass, I couldn't "get away" (400 vs 1). Went to doc in Cincy. Concussion, 2 broken teeth, many scrapes and bruises. The topper is, had just started a new job. What I do for this team...

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I think it was pretty clearly a legal lateral. Looks like it travels at least a foot or two backwards. I've never really understood (apart from the emotions involved) why people actually believed it was a forward pass.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think it was pretty clearly a legal lateral. Looks like it travels at least a foot or two backwards. I've never really understood (apart from the emotions involved) why people actually believed it was a forward pass.

No way 1-2 FEET back.  Maybe 1-2 inches.  Maybe

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It was clearly a forward pass.

• Like (+1) 2

Didn’t read this thread.  But I will just flat out say it:

It was NOT an illegal forward pass and was a valid TD.  

Was it close, yes it was.  But it’s been categorically proven it was not forward.  At worst it was a judgement call as it was so on the line.  

People need to let this go.  We were not likely going to win another game anyway, we weren’t that good.  People hold on to this like it was a Kelly led team in his prime.

Why does anyone even still care about this game so much?  We weren’t close to the best team in the AFC, not to mention in the midst of a QB controversy between two not very good QBs.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

It did move up 5 yards since then 

but I swear kickers have like 10 yards more range these days too

There is no question that there are more kickers that can kick the ball long.    And though there has suddenly became a lot of suspect kicking situations field goal % had been rising during the past couple decades.    50 yards used to be a very long kick...........now it's a disappointment if missed.   

It's obvious.  Forward.  He throws it on the line and the ball is caught in front of the line.

End of story.  The ball went forward, gained yardage.  Slow it down and look at it. Pretty obvious.  I just watched it again.  Ball gains yardage.

It would have been overturned today in HD and the incredible amount of cameras today. The ball was released on 25 and caught ahead of 25. Pretty obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

I still recall seeing it live in a sports bar. At least 60% were rooting against the Bills. They were jeering and laughing their butts off but I wasn't even mad, so sure that I was it was a forward pass. To say I was in shock the refs said it was a lateral and then did not reverse the call would be an understatement. Now I was ready to fight the whole damn bar LOL

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is exactly right.  Analysts and pundits say don't pay attention to where the player is, pay attention to where the ball is.  Well, the ball was behind the line when Wycheck threw it, and in front of the line when Dyson caught it.  It was absolutely illegal and the call should have been overruled.

I'm not sure how you can say to pay attention to where the ball is and still say it was illegal.  Doesn't look like the ball was thrown from behind the line to me, he's reaching forward and throwing sidearm.

lateral2.gif

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's obvious.  Forward.  He throws it on the line and the ball is caught in front of the line.

End of story.  The ball went forward, gained yardage.  Slow it down and look at it. Pretty obvious.  I just watched it again.  Ball gains yardage.

It would have been overturned today in HD and the incredible amount of cameras today. The ball was released on 25 and caught ahead of 25. Pretty obvious.

Look at the picture I made and show me where the ball "gained yardage".

5 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

It is a forward pass no matter how you look at it. The refs were afraid because of the home crowd. As much of a soap opera as that 99 Bills team was it may have been the best Defense in the league that year. We win that game, we make the Superbowl. Zero question.

IT's the bye week.....

"No matter how you look at it" = I can't see crap with these homer glasses on.

4 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Wychek released the ball was no farther than the 25 and Dyson caught the ball on the 26.  

3 hours ago, ricojes said:

let go of it on the 25, caught it closer to the 26.

No.

That sure as hell doesn't look like "on the 26" to me.

lateral2.gif

It was as close to a straight line as the naked eye could see.  If they threw the flag they wouldn't have been able to overturn it.  Maybe our Special Teams should've stayed in their lanes.

It's a shame too because I felt going into that game those were the two best teams in the AFC that year.  That was our best defensive unit in the post super bowl era.

Blaming that loss on that play is as bad as Saints fans blaming the loss to the Rams on no pass interference. So many blown opportunities to put the game away that it shouldn’t have come down to a judgement call.

btw, I think it was ever so slightly backwards. It took years for me to come to that realization and acceptance.

No it was an illegal forward pass.  Every replay they show clearly shows thrower behind the major line and the pass is caught ahead of the line.  Plus the ball is at the line when released and caught ahead of line but had the damn special teams stayed in lanes we wouldn’t be having this discussion. 

Edited by Xwnyer