Was the Music City Miracle lateral legal? No bias, please answer honestly

19 minutes ago, BillsM@fia said:

It was legal (barely). Looking how the play unfolded, it certainly appeared to have been a forward pass.  

When Wycheck threw it to Mason, Mason was too far ahead.  Mason had to come back and retrieve the ball.  The optics of the play certainly give the illusion of a forward pass and in most instances, I think the refs would have thrown a flag...it would be too close to overturn.

Regardless, the Bills mistakes were compounding and it eventually caught up to them.  We should have started Flutie.  We chose to kick the go ahead field go with like 16 seconds and I believe it was only 2nd or 3rd down.  And as mentioned, there is no excuse for the special teams not covering the kick off properly.  I recently watched a video of the play and Jeff Fisher was literally moving his arm in a throwing motion to the special teams unit beforehand..

THANK YOU.  

Although I disagree that in most instances a flag would have been thrown.  At least nowadays, they would talk about it and pick up a flag if one was thrown and let it go to review.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

First the annual Could Bama .... thread.  Now this.

Whatchya drinkin'?

Somebody is in desperate need of attention, but working strictly from the oldie but moldy menu. 

42 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Frank Wycheck was directly between the 24-25 yard line when he released the ball.

Kevin Dyson catches the ball on approximately the 26 yard line.

Do the math and you tell me.

This is exactly right.  Analysts and pundits say don't pay attention to where the player is, pay attention to where the ball is.  Well, the ball was behind the line when Wycheck threw it, and in front of the line when Dyson caught it.  It was absolutely illegal and the call should have been overruled.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Still seems like it was illegal, but only just barely.  No excuse for the Bills' ST not to cover that.

How stupid were our Special Teams players for not holding their lanes.  The slowest 2 players picked up and had the ball (our entire team runs toward them) when they weren't going to out run anyone and then no one covers the real speed returner.  We deserve to loose!

BTW, my honest (eyesight) opinion is was a slightly forward pass but I think they did computer rendering and it came back as a parallel pass so it may have actually been legal.  

Never repeat that disaster!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No.

I  doubt it as well, but the Titans came close, and they wouldn't have even been there had it not been for a fluke play with seconds left in the game.

One thing that we know for certain is Rob Johnson wouldn't have won it...unless he was on the bench like in the Buccaneers Super Bowl win.