Was the Music City Miracle lateral legal? No bias, please answer honestly

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Frank Wycheck was directly between the 24-25 yard line when he released the ball.

Kevin Dyson catches the ball on approximately the 26 yard line.

Do the math and you tell me.

It is the ball the matters, not the position of the person. When you watch the ball it is super close. But I don't get why an official didn't call it because it APPEARS to be a forward lateral because of that very issue.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

It is the ball the matters, not the position of the person. When you watch the ball it is super close. But I don't get why an official didn't call it because it APPEARS to be a forward lateral because of that very issue.

Because the official would of been killed by time he got back to his Nashville hotel.

It was forward.  Slightly.  Lateral or not that was some boneheaded clock management.

You are in FG range.  The clock is stopped at 20 seconds.  Price just made a great play to get you a first down.  You have no timeouts.  What do you do?

Run, Spike, Kick.

Game over.

Even if the Titans don't get a TD, they had time to get a play or two and then kick a long FG.  And we had a poor coverage unit all season long.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

It was legal (barely). Looking how the play unfolded, it certainly appeared to have been a forward pass.  

When Wycheck threw it to Mason, Mason was too far ahead.  Mason had to come back and retrieve the ball.  The optics of the play certainly give the illusion of a forward pass and in most instances, I think the refs would have thrown a flag...it would be too close to overturn.

Regardless, the Bills mistakes were compounding and it eventually caught up to them.  We should have started Flutie.  We chose to kick the go ahead field go with like 16 seconds and I believe it was only 2nd or 3rd down.  And as mentioned, there is no excuse for the special teams not covering the kick off properly.  I recently watched a video of the play and Jeff Fisher was literally moving his arm in a throwing motion to the special teams unit beforehand..

Edited by BillsM@fia
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

It was forward.  Slightly.  Lateral or not that was some boneheaded clock management.

You are in FG range.  The clock is stopped at 20 seconds.  Price just made a great play to get you a first down.  You have no timeouts.  What do you do?

Run, Spike, Kick.

Game over.

Even if the Titans don't get a TD, they had time to get a play or two and then kick a long FG.  And we had a poor coverage unit all season long.

Could of kicked out of bounds and had titans get ball at 40

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Frank Wycheck was directly between the 24-25 yard line when he released the ball.

Kevin Dyson catches the ball on approximately the 26 yard line.

Do the math and you tell me.

Clearly you don't know the rules of the lateral.  ALL THAT MATTERS is where the ball is when it leaves the thrower's hand and where the ball is when the receiver catches it.  Thrower threw the ball sort of side armed leaning forward, putting him behind the ball, receiver reached far back, putting him ahead of the ball.  Again, ALL THAT MATTERS is the location of the ball, not the physical location of the players.

Ball actually came BACK slightly, legal lateral.  People need to drop this BS of "real Bills fans call it an illegal forward pass" nonsense, and talking about how it was SO OBVIOUS.  No, not it wasn't. 

• Like (+1) 1