Could Alabama Crimson Tide beat the Miami Dolphins?

BrycePaup4ever

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

There was a long thread on this issue last year, and the majority of the posts saying Alabama would get killed are like this one by Buffalo716: No real evidence offered (other than misinformation), just blanket statements with nothing to back them up. 

Fact:  All 22 starters on Alabama this year will have a shot in the NFL, and perhaps 15-18 will make NFL rosters.  Of those, most will be drafted and there are probably 6-8 who will be first round picks, although not all in 2020.  On the 90-man roster, I'd guess that there are 40 or more who will have a very good shot at playing pro football.  Unlike NFL teams, Alabama is not limited to one first round pick per year; each recruiting class has probably 4 to 6 future first or second round picks.  Clemson and Ohio State aren't far behind.   

Eh.  Not quite that many.

According to Ourlads.com, Alabama currently has 61 active NFL players.  That traces back to 2009. 

So roughly 6 per season - counting both starters and backups.

The most draft picks a college has EVER had in one class is only 12 players.

That is spread across 7 rounds and roughly 250 picks.  

It would be generous to say half of the current 22 starters on Alabama will eventually become long-term NFL players.

That doesn't mean Pro-Bowlers or even starters.  But guys worthy of being on a roster longer than a couple seasons.

Miami on the other hand probably has 10 players who wouldn't make most NFL rosters and has a number of guys on their team who probably would not start for Alabama.  Robert Foster, for example, was the Bills' best receiver last year and he was a backup at Alabama the previous year. 

The Dolphins are bad.  But there is no way half of their starters couldn't make the ROSTER of another NFL team.  Absolutely no way.

Robert Foster was immediately dropped to the #4-5 receiver on the team, after some legitimate talent was brought to the team.

We are talking about an UDFA who hasn't caught a pass this season.  He's not really a good example of anything.

I think it would be a competitive game and there's a good chance Alabama would win.    

Not a chance.

Even a powerhouse university like Alabama is only going to produce 6-7 NFL players per year.  

Maybe half of those guys are going to become NFL starters.  Only a couple will become high-level impact players.

Here is the complete list of Alabama's draft picks, throughout all of NFL history.

Just try assembling a remotely competitive NFL depth chart with any 2-3 consecutive seasons.  You can't do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_players_in_the_NFL_draft

Not to mention, EVERY SINGLE PLAYER on the Alabama roster is less than a rookie.

They are undersized and inexperienced.  They have not adapted to professional game speed.  They have not learned a professional playbook.

You don't have any veteran players to help them learn the ropes.  They haven't even seen an NFL practice field.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s a straw man argument.  Most Alabama  starters are at least 21 years old.  The ones who aren’t are truly exceptional.

No, still a HUGE difference between (a few) 21 year olds and a 25-32 year old. Nice try, though. People like to throw out cool terms like that. 

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

This is true. Saban has an easier time keeping players in line because if they don't listen to him they will lose HUGE money. Saban can toss a player off the team, any player, and not get fired. If he WAS fired, he would have another offer in 10 seconds.

Other parts of being a college coach are difficult nonetheless. I heard a Bama player say he was the best at his high school, if not his  entire state, and when he got to Alabama, so was everyone else.

In any event, I think that the phish would beat the Tide. Pros are too tough and experienced for college teams.

....good call Bill....and the offer(s) would easily top the $8 mil/yr he gets now.......

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Checking names out doesn't mean much without seeing them play. I know they had some studs on that team - Portis, Wayne, Reed etc... 

17 NFL first round picks

38 drafted players (19 of 22 starters)

Sean Taylor was a backup...to Ed Reed

Antrel Rolle, Willis McGahee, Vince Wilfork, Kellen Winslow, Frank Gore...all BACKUPS

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

17 NFL first round picks

38 drafted players (19 of 22 starters)

Sean Taylor was a backup...to Ed Reed

Antrel Rolle, Willis McGahee, Vince Wilfork, Kellen Winslow, Frank Gore...all BACKUPS

Their qb won’t have gotten the job done though 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The draft is too much of a crapshoot. Every player is talented despite the narrative..  all a player needs to do is get into the right scheme and coaching

UNFORTUNATELY the draft doesn't work like that. And most players are not put into the ideal situation to succeed

Bama may have 10 players drafted as starter's, but I CAN GUARENTEE that they don't all pan out that way

Alabama gave up 31 to ole Miss

Fitz would score 50. He is a 14 year vet who is absolutely better than Tua RN... Who I scouted at the US army all American bowl and was one of my favorite QB prospects of ALL TIME and still is

Fitz wouldn't lose the game , it's that simple

Not just Fitz. No way the Dolphins offensive line would be challenged by Bamas defense. It would be men against boys. They would be outmatched at running back as well. It would be ugly fast. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So you’re saying a guy one or two years out of high school is ready for the NFL game?

That’s the thing, I think Alabama is FAR more talented, I just don’t think they are ready. In time, certainly! 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good call Bill....and the offer(s) would easily top the $8 mil/yr he gets now.......

Absolutely, because he is the GOAT, and not even Bryant comes close. Saban has the same number of titles in half the time. Texas offered him 10 mil per year several years ago and told him that he could fill in the number of years. His wife wouldn't let him sign with them. Terry Saban is in charge of that household. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

No, still a HUGE difference between (a few) 21 year olds and a 25-32 year old. Nice try, though. People like to throw out cool terms like that. 

You refuted nothing that I said.  Please don’t act like you did.

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So you’re saying a guy one or two years out of high school is ready for the NFL game?

Not many.  But some, yes.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

You refuted nothing that I said.  Please don’t act like you did.

I don’t like to get into reading comprehension issues, so I’ll be out after this. I said they were a lot of 19 year olds, you said they were 21. I said there is still a huge difference between a 21 year old and 25-32 year old men. I did absolutely refute your silly little point, you just don’t like it. Have a nice night. 

Just now, Augie said:

I don’t like to get into reading comprehension issues, so I’ll be out after this. I said they were a lot of 19 year olds, you said they were 21. I said there is still a huge difference between a 21 year old and 25-32 year old men. I did absolutely refute your silly little point, you just don’t like it. Have a nice night. 

Well, I’ll agree that you’ve got reading comprehension issues.

34 minutes ago, mannc said:

Look, I doubt that Alabama would beat even a below average NFL team, but I think there is near zero chance that they would be physically overmatched and blown out like many here suggest.  I don't know when you played in the ACC, but teams like Alabama and Clemson didn't really exist 10 or 15 years ago.  They are literally stacked with NFL talent.  Almost every starter will play in the NFL in the next year or two.  They aren't going to be embarrassed by a team like the Dolphins.    

The bolded is very true, but I really do not think that the Tide could beat a pro team. Both of their starting ILBs are out for the season and freshmen are in there. A 5 star and a 4 star but they are just kids. 

Pros would be just too tough for them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think you think the NFL game is purely physical.  You’re not taking into consideration the complexity differences or the mental aspect.

College football players are only allowed 20 hours of practice a week by NCAA rules.  They have smaller playbooks and spend less time preparing because of their limited time.

NFL players can have more complex schemes because they have that much more time...this is there full time job.

If you really believe that a college team could beat an NFL team then you don’t believe there’s any adjustment period between college to the pros.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.