Have You Ever Been Fired From a Job?

Halloween Land

I was told late on a Thursday the industry probably wasn't right for me and it wasn't working here and to come back Monday and tell them why they should keep me. I told them I quit 

I had felt for a long time that I needed to get out of there, so it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it still sucked

Ended up getting a job in the same industry and wrote 2 new programs for company that accounts for 80% of our revenue. So uh yeah my old boss can suck it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, I am the egg man said:

I knew of a guy who got fired and lost his apartment and his girlfriend all in one day.

John Winger.

I lost my job, car and girlfriend on the same day. Was day after thanksgiving. Car died just after midnight. Spent most of the night trying to fix it then waiting for tow truck. Slept for maybe an hour then took bus to work. I got there an hour and a half early and did a bunch of extra stuff to help the boss out before clocking in. I was walking to my desk to punch in my boss was sitting at my desk with all my stuff packed up. Went to HR and they’re eliminating my position. Started walking home and got a phone call from my girlfriends number, I picked up and there’s a guy on the other end saying I don’t have a girlfriend.  

Was a good day... 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I lost my job, car and girlfriend on the same day. Was day after thanksgiving. Car died just after midnight. Spent most of the night trying to fix it then waiting for tow truck. Slept for maybe an hour then took bus to work. I got there an hour and a half early and did a bunch of extra stuff to help the boss out before clocking in. I was walking to my desk to punch in my boss was sitting at my desk with all my stuff packed up. Went to HR and they’re eliminating my position. Started walking home and got a phone call from my girlfriends number, I picked up and there’s a guy on the other end saying I don’t have a girlfriend.  

Was a good day... 

Having gone through a "crappy everything at once in life" situation, I'd rather ball it up in one lump vs. spread it out.

• Like (+1) 4

Fired?   Nevah.  I'm too good.

Laid off due to downsizing  3 times more than I needed to happen.  

none would have been IDEAL.   but hey ...  

In 2015  I went back at the place I was RIF'd from in 2013 .  $15G more per year.  

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

c'mon, get real here...

when i'm interviewing an applicant i always ask about the time they got fired from a job

everyone has been fired if they have a spine and haven't worked just for family their whole life

so make it an interesting situation and lessons learned

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

everyone has been fired if they have a spine and haven't worked just for family their whole life

I have a spine.

I've never worked for family.

I've never been fired.

In fairness, I've done things that could have gotten me fired - even got caught a couple of times - but the boss never pulled the trigger. One of those times was when I was openly critical of an assistant manager, and not particularly diplomatic about it. She told me to punch out and leave for the day, and then she reported the incident to the head manager. He and I had a talk, he realized I was justified in my criticism, he spoke to the assistant manager, and everything was good after that.

Not all bosses will fire you for having a spine. Some actually appreciate it - they see it as a sign of a good work ethic.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Was a good day... 

Moral of the story: never do extra work for free.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Was a good day... 

Moral of the story: even the worst day is followed by better times. Keep moving forward, it’s all you can do. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope

Don’t worry, there’s always next week!  

?

It’’s amazing how the world has changed. In my parents day you might spend 50+ years at one job. Now? They come and go, as do the actual industries. Did you work at a newspaper, steel factory or slide rule manufacturer? Things change so fast now it’s hard to keep up. Adapt and survive, or embrace it and thrive. 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Don’t worry, there’s always next week!  

?

It’’s amazing how the world has changed. In my parents day you might spend 50+ years at one job. Now? They come and go, as do the actual industries. Did you work at a newspaper, steel factory or slide rule manufacturer? Things change so fast now it’s hard to keep up. Adapt and survive, or embrace it and thrive. 

Depends... Where people put their priorities 

I am 51 and got almost 30 years in with one employer.  If I don't go early... In many ways, I guess... I will probably have over 40.  20 short years will get me close to 50 years @ this Club Fed.

We are even playing with a short bench. One of our +60 year operators chose to get deployed again to Afghanistan... With Trans-Atlantic Division for another 12 to 18 months.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Depends... Where people put their priorities 

I am 51 and got almost 30 years in with one employer.  If I don't go early... In many ways, I guess... I will probably have over 40.  20 short years will get me close to 50 years @ this Club Fed.

We are even playing with a short bench. One of our +60 year operators chose to get deployed again to Afghanistan... With Trans-Atlantic Division for another 12 to 18 months.

Clearly there are still some long time positions and employees, but it’s now what it used to be.. And there will always be openings for the “Carp Whisperers”.  I turned 60 today, and can’t IMAGINE heading to Afghanistan! I feel lucky to have arrived home safely (damaged, but intact) after a trip to Nashville! 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Clearly there are still some long time positions and employees, but it’s now what it used to be.. And there will always be openings for the “Carp Whisperers”.  I turned 60 today, and can’t IMAGINE heading to Afghanistan! I feel lucky to have arrived home safely (damaged, but intact) after a trip to Nashville! 

We are civilians.  They come back fatter than when they left.  LoL... 

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We are civilians.  They come back fatter than when they left.  LoL... 

Not sure if I follow, but I know I came back from Nashville fatter, and hats off to anyone spending time defending us against what is wrong with the world. 

Just now, Augie said:

Not sure if I follow, but I know I came back from Nashville fatter, and hats off to anyone spending time defending us against what is wrong with the world. 

As a Civilian deployed.  You'd make it over there +60.  EZ-PZ... Especially on base. That's where I was going with it... And 2-3 times pay... Other bennys... Like coming back with unlimited vacation leave (you can only carry 240 hours a year normally or lose anything over 240 at end of year if not used). They are screaming for bodies!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Speaking of getting fired, no pun intended... What would you do to save the company's $150,000 rig?

https://abc7.com/amp/video-shows-trash-truck-that-ignited-deadly-calimesa-fire/5612626/

You know, not dumping it and the rig goes up... Still starts a wild fire.  Follow protocol... 

Shouldn't there be fire suppression on the vehicle?

Should this belong in the "did you ever utilize a fire extinguisher" thread?

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Depends... Where people put their priorities ...

:lol:

is that what we're calling ***** nowadays?

sorry, this line just struck me as funny as hell...

Edited by Foxx