Have You Ever Been Fired From a Job?

Halloween Land

2x yep, both times at the hand of a confused woman.  

HFC Bank  worked 8-5 mon/tues/thurs/fri and. 12-9 on weds.    Manager was off on maternity leave my first few months there. She returns and fires me for showing up at 12 on a weds as she was “looking for me” since 8 am.  That was fun explaining to HR.  She was too mad to let it go even though she was wrong.   

Geico — fired for asking a guy for his social security number (which is a mandatory question) for underwriting purposes and he got all pissy.  

Eventually faced off with managers manager who confused the unemployment judge as to why I was fired for asking a company mandated question 

I’ve only been fired from a job once, and it was a paper route I had back in middle school.  I had the route for over two years and did fine, but I had just turned 14 so I could get my work permit.  Had a job washing dishes at a restaurant locked down, so the last week of my paper route I threw all the bundles of newspapers in the woods behind my house ?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

Did you try the subs? Yummy!

Several times. I thought the bread was awful, and that’s hard to overcome. I think Jersey Mikes is a thousand times better, but if I keep hearing good reports I’ll give them another shot. It’s SUPER convenient and I’d like another option like that. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Ever been convicted of a felony?

I will see you and raise YOU a:

"...Proceeded through, and I finally came to see the very last man. I walked in,
Sat down, after a whole big thing there. I walked up, and I said, "what do
You want?" He said, "kid, we only got one question, have you ever been
Arrested?"
And I proceeded to tell him the story of Alice's Restaurant Massacree with
Full orchestration and five-part harmony and stuff like that, and other phenomenon
He stopped me right there and said, "kid, have you ever been to court?" And
I proceeded to tell him the story of the twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy
Pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one
He stopped me right there and said, "kid, I want you to go over and sit down
On that bench that says 'Group W'"...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Several times. I thought the bread was awful, and that’s hard to overcome. I think Jersey Mikes is a thousand times better, but if I keep hearing good reports I’ll give them another shot. It’s SUPER convenient and I’d like another option like that. 

I moved away a year ago, but if you get the right person making them, it makes a difference. There was one employee who would just load the sub with extras. 

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The old saying that no one on their deathbed wishes they'd spent more time at work.

I probably will.

I was "fired" from a startup in 2002.  The CEO had it in for me (according to others), and the company tried to get me to quit by making my life a living hell.  After I wrote them a letter explaining "constructive dismissal is illegal" they gave me six months' severance to leave.

Two weeks later they laid off half the company with a week's severance.  They were pretty serious dipshits.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’ve only been fired from a job once, and it was a paper route I had back in middle school.  I had the route for over two years and did fine, but I had just turned 14 so I could get my work permit.  Had a job washing dishes at a restaurant locked down, so the last week of my paper route I threw all the bundles of newspapers in the woods behind my house ?

The Courier Express closed the following week.  IT WAS YOU!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Zaso Art Designs said:

Have you ever been fired from a job before and if so, how come?

As for me, I have never been fired before so far. 

Yes.

Apparently corporate offices get all pissy and ***** when you drive company vehicles into too many things.

31 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Yes.

Apparently corporate offices get all pissy and ***** when you drive company vehicles into too many things.

Hey, they can be funny that way! Not sure what to tell you......  

?

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hey, they can be funny that way! Not sure what to tell you......  

?

My bosses were actually pissed that they were ordered by the corporate office to fire me. I made their numbers look good.

Once, but do your high school years count?

Mid-80's, working at a fast food restaurant, something to do w/ a King...burnt orange uniform years. Great place to work. There was me, the only other high school guy and several girls from the local Catholic high school. There was a manager, who kept trying to get the girls to go to the hotel next door w/ him. He always used the line, "I have a Twister game in my car." It was annoyingly disgusting. I started dating one of the girls. I showed up on an off day to pick up my GF after her shift. She told me he tried to get her to go next door to the hotel. I lost it. We had it out (yelling/shouting) right there in the restaurant. He kicked me out. I walked out, immediately drove into the drive thru and when they asked for my order...I yelled, so and so was a pedophile. I guess loud enough for the back end to hear, and possibly the customers that were eating over the speaker. As I pulled around, I was told I was fired.

It actually worked out great. A manager that I respected, was fired too a week before me, moved to another BK across town. He got me a job there, where I met my future wife.  33 years later, we're still together. The other girl I had been dating was just looking to get knocked up. I escaped that one!! She did end up being a high school / teenage mom by her next BF. Someone was looking out for me there....

• Like (+1) 1

Yes.  In the situation, I actually should have been fired about 4 years earlier in the role I was in, but the entity would have cratered so the board overlooked it.  Eventually, I was insubordinate to a board member in a board finance committee meeting and then negotiated a severance with the chairman.  We were working on a contract extension at the time that I really didn't want.  Not one of the prouder times for me.

10 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Once, but do your high school years count?

Mid-80's, working at a fast food restaurant, something to do w/ a King...burnt orange uniform years. Great place to work. There was me, the only other high school guy and several girls from the local Catholic high school. There was a manager, who kept trying to get the girls to go to the hotel next door w/ him. He always used the line, "I have a Twister game in my car." It was annoyingly disgusting. I started dating one of the girls. I showed up on an off day to pick up my GF after her shift. She told me he tried to get her to go next door to the hotel. I lost it. We had it out (yelling/shouting) right there in the restaurant. He kicked me out. I walked out, immediately drove into the drive thru and when they asked for my order...I yelled, so and so was a pedophile. I guess loud enough for the back end to hear, and possibly the customers that were eating over the speaker. As I pulled around, I was told I was fired.

It actually worked out great. A manager that I respected, was fired too a week before me, moved to another BK across town. He got me a job there, where I met my future wife.  33 years later, we're still together. The other girl I had been dating was just looking to get knocked up. I escaped that one!! She did end up being a high school / teenage mom by her next BF. Someone was looking out for me there....

Did you name your first born Whopper?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I worked in radio. A typical career includes about a dozen firings.

I worked in radio as well. 3 yrs, the turnover is crazy. all about numbers. it still was one of the best experiences/jobs I ever had.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973