Have You Ever Been Fired From a Job?

Halloween Land

9 minutes ago, teef said:

thanks foxx.  we do what we can.  it ended up being the best thing to happen for me.   i bought my own practice months later, and two weeks ago we moved into our new building.  i own the land, the building, and everyone inside works for me.  i even created a space for my lab guy who pays me rent.  i'm now totally autonomous and i'm never going back.  i've been very, very lucky.

and now you give the hygienist a little extra to rub up on @Mike in Horseheads elbow?!?!?!  That the kind of practice you're running now?  You're a regular Tim Whatley.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, teef said:

only once, but i was an an adult in my professional phase of life.

i was working a very swanky practice in the area was we were growing faster than we thought.  I was in line for a partnership, and things were moving forward...until the practice appraisal came back.  to make a very long story short, the owner did not think the appraisal was enough for his practice, and increased the amount considerably, (6 figures considerably).  we started to have "discussions" about that number, and it got uncomfortable.  the owner had a very nice lifestyle, and was getting himself into debt...especially with the IRS.  the consultant who appraised the practice actually called me one night and told me i'd be paying his debt, and not to do it.  this is unusual because they're supposed to be an impartial party.  

it was the wednesday before thanksgiving, and i got a call from the owner.  i was done.  he didn't like how our discussions were going, so they were over and i was out of a job.  i went from being inches away from a partner to having nothing.  on top of that, i didn't want to tell anyone because my brother and his wife were announcing they were pregnant with the first grandchild in our family, and i didn't want to take away from it.  it's been the only time in my life that i've been in a deep depression.  

You know what one piece of advice I've truly taken to heart?

The old saying that no one on their deathbed wishes they'd spent more time at work.

I will never let a job emotionally ruin me, though getting laid off the first time was a REAL challenge, going from 6 figures to not was not fun.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 1

I was technically laid off from one job as management didn’t actually have anything on me in terms of write ups.  I got told one day we can’t afford to keep you here any longer.  Still I think they dismissed me because I wasn’t of the powers that be ilk and didn’t get along the best with them.  Some of that was my fault.  In the long run the whole experience was positive though.  

Though to this day at work I’m always afraid it might be my last 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been in a banking position where an entire layer of management was eliminated. That sucked! I know the big accounting firms will also lay off young CPA’s right after tax or audit season because they aren’t going to have work for months. Great! Work 75 hour weeks for months, then get to the end and be let go. That also sucks!

We had an employee who was stealing. I knew it, but couldn’t prove it. We let her go, and she found a job with one of our largest clients. You want to say something, but......

Not fired.  Laid off from 2 construction projects, but that is expected as the project winds down.  Laid off from a steel mill when the CEO ran home to Georgia with the funds.  As for resigning, I immensely enjoyed watching 54 years total millwright seniority walk out the door of a previous employer to go on one of the construction projects mentioned above.  I was a week shy of 18 years, and two other millwrights were over the 18 year mark.

26 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I was technically laid off from one job as management didn’t actually have anything on me in terms of write ups.  I got told one day we can’t afford to keep you here any longer.  Still I think they dismissed me because I wasn’t of the powers that be ilk and didn’t get along the best with them.  Some of that was my fault.  In the long run the whole experience was positive though.  

I feel the same way. Doing perfectly fine...but what if! ha!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes.

The place where I was fired from is probably going to get a laugh....Applebees.

You do kind of look like Mike Judge........

Image result for pieces of flair gif

And yes, I've been fired, once. Only got 8 months on that job. But it led me back to my old company, and my current one, and the people I've met and the reason I'm where I'm at now personally. Had I been successful there, who knows how my life would have turned out........not as good as it did.

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, teef said:

thanks foxx.  we do what we can.  it ended up being the best thing to happen for me.   i bought my own practice months later, and two weeks ago we moved into our new building.  i own the land, the building, and everyone inside works for me.  i even created a space for my lab guy who pays me rent.  i'm now totally autonomous and i'm never going back.  i've been very, very lucky.

obviously, good deeds have their own rewards.

self employment isn't for everyone. it can be a lot of extra work but it can be very rewarding for those who are good at it. you have to wear many hats. you can be the secretary, janitor, worker bee, estimator, bookkeeper and HR all rolled into one.

myself, i have been self employed since '92. being i am very good at what i do, i have been very blessed. with my profession though, construction is a young mans game. having worked quite hard my entire adult life, i think i am ready to kick it back a bit. i enjoy what i do so i am not going to retire just yet but having to wear less hats would be welcome. after this coming year, i will probably look to go to work for someone else. it will be nice at the end of the day to leave the job there and not take it home with me. but... who am i kidding, i am so ingrained in my ways that i will probably still do the work in my sleep.  ah well.

:beer:

to bring it back around to the thread topic...

yeah, we were fired from Burger King back in the day... it was on purpose though, we didn't care. there were some shenanigans going on that weren't right.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

You’re Kramer!  And this employment is the time he just started showing up at that office gig!

Kramer: “I don’t really even work here!”

Boss:  “That’s what makes it so difficult.”

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve been through many lay-off cycles as my company downsized and consolidated. Lay-off dates were usually announced a couple weeks in advance.  Each time I would go to work after many sleepless nights and nervously await the summons to the manager’s office.  I was never summoned.  I survived 40 years. 

My daughter worked for a company that had a lay-off after she had been there for just a few months. Since she was newly hired, she was safe from the lay-off. She witnessed middle aged family breadwinners getting laid-off unexpectedly.  She said to heck with this and changed her career.  That was about three years ago, and she’s much happier now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

only once, but i was an an adult in my professional phase of life.

i was working a very swanky practice in the area was we were growing faster than we thought.  I was in line for a partnership, and things were moving forward...until the practice appraisal came back.  to make a very long story short, the owner did not think the appraisal was enough for his practice, and increased the amount considerably, (6 figures considerably).  we started to have "discussions" about that number, and it got uncomfortable.  the owner had a very nice lifestyle, and was getting himself into debt...especially with the IRS.  the consultant who appraised the practice actually called me one night and told me i'd be paying his debt, and not to do it.  this is unusual because they're supposed to be an impartial party.  

it was the wednesday before thanksgiving, and i got a call from the owner.  i was done.  he didn't like how our discussions were going, so they were over and i was out of a job.  i went from being inches away from a partner to having nothing.  on top of that, i didn't want to tell anyone because my brother and his wife were announcing they were pregnant with the first grandchild in our family, and i didn't want to take away from it.  it's been the only time in my life that i've been in a deep depression.  

This is one of the most important lessons in life! Don’t get too high, or too low. The next thing will happen, and more often than you would think, despite all the fretting, the next thing is even better. The fear of the unknown is hard to turn into the excitement for what’s next, but that is often how it turns out! 

Worked Nuclear construction for many years so getting layed off went with the territory.

Getting actually fired takes me back to a young teenager washing dishes at my mothers restraunt. ( 13 years old )

Awww come on maw, I was just taking a quick break. ( shooting pool or playing pinball ) 

Holy poop, hell yea been fired..and more than once..in order

1) Dishwasher Chinese place in the falls..good fire..i was smoking weed out back and making owners kid do the dishes

2) Place i met my wife..not technically a firing, an understanding the relationship was not "approved"..one of us had to go...i went. Difefrent time in the mid 90's

3) Laid off from 2 startups..not sure if you call a firing, but i wlll.. they kept some folks, but the majority let go, i was in the majority

Edited by plenzmd1