Have You Ever Been Fired From a Job?

Halloween Land

oh yeah, my tendency to space-cadet resulted in dismissals from construction and other summer jobs i didn't want in the first place

was very ill a decade ago and doctors wouldn't sign off on anything, so i was fired from an office job with cause

signed back a few months later with the same folk for a lot more $$$ 

• Like (+1) 2

Never fired.

Laid off in a RIF , but then called back in 2 weeks as

my replacement could not perform the work I did, even though

I spent two weeks training him.  And yes, I trained him the correct way to do the tasks

Fired twice.

First place was as a CAD engineer at a metal stamping place. They burned through junior engineers like crazy. No biggie. I learned a ton but didn’t really care for it. I was probably going to leave in a few months anyway. They fired all the guys I liked.

Second one was as a Product Manager. I was really good at it but the stress was unbelievable. I had to give a “vapor-ware” presentation to a National magazine reviewer (Software that doesn’t exist and probably never will). I didn’t get along with my boss. She would’ve been a good client-end PM, but had no business leading people that knew more than she did. Heck, when she was on maternity leave another PM ran the shop & everything went smoothly. He’s the president of the company now. Anyway, I wasn’t technically fired. I transferred to another department.

I don’t really worry about it.

It was "recommended" that I go some where else and save the world. I was a social worker and I had a number of ethical battles with upper management. So I did. I like what I do now.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

First real corporate gig my boss was a real piece of work.  There was always someone in her doghouse and that person was on borrowed time.  Never thought it could happen to me since everything I did was magic for my first 18 months.  Eventually there was no one left to blame and I was on deck.

Anything I did was second guessed.  All decisions were subject to a review in hindsight about why I didn't do the opposite.  The micro-managing was unbearable.  She made me print out draft emails before sending, then she would edit in front of me.  Typically this meant tearing it up and starting fresh.  

Just to make sure I wasn't nuts I took her "edits" re-wrote the email verbatim in her words and gave it back to her as "my draft".  She asked if I wrote the message and I confirmed it was my writing with some of her input.  Shredded.  She didn't recognize her own writing.  It basically confirmed that anything I did was going to be wrong.  

Not long after, I got dismissed.  From what I heard, they chased their tails for a while, replaced me with 2 or 3 people, and after destroying the department she got "promoted" out of the way and put in charge of a sales team or some such crap. 

At my next stop I met a woman who had previously worked for the same company.   When I asked her why she left she said "Because [person] is a total [see you next Tuesday]".

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I knew of a guy who got fired and lost his apartment and his girlfriend all in one day.

John Winger.

Ya know, one day Tito Puente is going to be dead and you're gonna say "Oh, I've been listening to his work for years!"

only once, but i was an an adult in my professional phase of life.

i was working a very swanky practice in the area was we were growing faster than we thought.  I was in line for a partnership, and things were moving forward...until the practice appraisal came back.  to make a very long story short, the owner did not think the appraisal was enough for his practice, and increased the amount considerably, (6 figures considerably).  we started to have "discussions" about that number, and it got uncomfortable.  the owner had a very nice lifestyle, and was getting himself into debt...especially with the IRS.  the consultant who appraised the practice actually called me one night and told me i'd be paying his debt, and not to do it.  this is unusual because they're supposed to be an impartial party.  

it was the wednesday before thanksgiving, and i got a call from the owner.  i was done.  he didn't like how our discussions were going, so they were over and i was out of a job.  i went from being inches away from a partner to having nothing.  on top of that, i didn't want to tell anyone because my brother and his wife were announcing they were pregnant with the first grandchild in our family, and i didn't want to take away from it.  it's been the only time in my life that i've been in a deep depression.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

only once, but i was an an adult in my professional phase of life.

i was working a very swanky practice in the area was we were growing faster than we thought.  I was in line for a partnership, and things were moving forward...until the practice appraisal came back.  to make a very long story short, the owner did not think the appraisal was enough for his practice, and increased the amount considerably, (6 figures considerably).  we started to have "discussions" about that number, and it got uncomfortable.  the owner had a very nice lifestyle, and was getting himself into debt...especially with the IRS.  the consultant who appraised the practice actually called me one night and told me i'd be paying his debt, and not to do it.  this is unusual because they're supposed to be an impartial party.  

it was the wednesday before thanksgiving, and i got a call from the owner.  i was done.  he didn't like how our discussions were going, so they were over and i was out of a job.  i went from being inches away from a partner to having nothing.  on top of that, i didn't want to tell anyone because my brother and his wife were announcing they were pregnant with the first grandchild in our family, and i didn't want to take away from it.  it's been the only time in my life that i've been in a deep depression.  

you're a good man, Teef.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Foxx said:

you're a good man, Teef.

thanks foxx.  we do what we can.  it ended up being the best thing to happen for me.   i bought my own practice months later, and two weeks ago we moved into our new building.  i own the land, the building, and everyone inside works for me.  i even created a space for my lab guy who pays me rent.  i'm now totally autonomous and i'm never going back.  i've been very, very lucky.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1