Have you ever used a fire extinguisher?

Another Fan

I’ve been trained at work for the proper protocol for using them, the PASS method.  

Never took one out to practice though.  I guess rather fortunately though I’ve never needed to use one in real life for an emergency.  

Sure there’s stories here 

One of my workplaces had a large cylindrical mill that would grind down iron chunks.  The drive and driven gear was lubricated with a sticky oil, and occasional cutting in the area with a grinder or cutting torch could ignite the oil.  A few 20# ABC extinguishers were used there over the years.  Certainly not in any urgent operation.

Yes I have. I managed to not clean out the firebox in my grill at my previous house, which was located in the backyard under the eave/overhang of the garage roof. Damn near torched the siding off! Luckily I always kept two full-sized ones in the house and boy those work effectively on localized fires.

I volunteered for the Community Emergency Response Team at work, which included CPR, first aid, triage, search and rescue, and fire extinguisher training (among other things). Our training included a hands-on component, so we went out to an empty parking lot (with firefighters there), started fires, and took turns putting them out. It was one of the more fun activities as part of that team.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Does 'in a dorm hallway while drunk in college' count?

They said: "PASS Method" NOT: " Passed Out Method."

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Skateboard propulsion?

"Powerlining"... Powerline for coho salmon in Chicago.  It's legal.  Think: "Power trot line."

Notice how he shoots the trot line out.  Perfectly legal in llinois for coho on L.Michigan:

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Powerlining"... Powerline for coho salmon in Chicago.  It's legal.  Think: "Power trot line."

Notice how he shoots the trot line out.  Perfectly legal in llinois for coho on L.Michigan:

"Nice cast."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jerk said:

When I was in the Army I had to pick up the expired extinguishers with a few guys. We sprayed the new guy down like a car wash, ya dig?

That's what we do with the old ones.  Kinda.  We build a fire, then practice putting it out with the old extinguishers.

Actually harder than you think.  Only have so much charge.  Gotta sweep the base.  I'd imagine in a panic situation... Time flies and charge is less than you think.

Good to practice.

Now... At work... If 6400 tons of ammonium nitrate starts to look like its going up on a couple barges... I am evacuating the crew and my co-worker and heading for the hills... We are probably goners with the +30 city blocks anyway.  We have fire pumps... Yeah, good luck with that!

Just to put that into context.  Texas City explosion in 1947 was one of the largest non-nuclear blasts when 2,200 tons of ammonium nitrate was lit. Yeah... Fire pump and water will really help!

• Like (+1) 1

Dude pulled one out and opened it up on the subway in Toronto a week ago, the far end of my car was in panic and people rushed to get off the train ASAP.

i joined the rest who quickly moved between cars until the next station and left for an ad hoc dinner before getting back in the subway