Bills elite defense: Here's why 4-1 Buffalo has been so hard to score on in 2019

4 hours ago, NewEra5159 said:

I see Edmunds improving every week...He is not getting the huge sacks or pick 6 plays but very goo he’ll get the attention of the NFL

I feel like the interceptions and pick 6 plays are coming for him.  He has been so close to picking one off in every game so far this year.  Feel like its only a matter of time.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Smith struggled quite a bit against Green Bay last week. He has a tendency to run himself out of plays and get wiped out rather easily by OL. Check out @CharlesRobinson on Twitter, he had some breakdowns and video clips posted. Essentially, Smith is a big reason why Aaron Green ran all over them. I realize this article is more about coverage than run defense but I just thought Robinson had some interesting observations. He didn't trash the guy, when Smith gets his first step going in the right direction he's usually quick enough to elude blocks and make the tackle or get in the lane. He's kind of all-or-nothin' in that sense.

He is a quality linebacker. He didn't have a great game against Green Bay but that is not indicative of the player. 

Unpopular take here I'm sure but the biggest reason for the jump for Edmund's is Ed Oliver>Kyle.  

Love Kyle but he was not good against run late in his career.   We continuously got run up the middle against and he quite often jumped the gun and ended up opening a huge hole.  Ed does his job.   Eats blocks and makes the linebackers job easier.   Hughes is also doing a great job of setting the edge which also allows the LBs to make plays.  

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

Good coaches put good players in a position to succeed.  Beane has gotten the players McD and Frazier want.  Talk about complementary football -- it's wonderful to see it all working.

A couple years ago we could have drafted Mahomes, and didn't do it.  The payoff is White, Allen, and Edmunds.  As good as Mahomes is, he would have struggled with the talent here the past two years.  And he wouldn't have had the luxury of watching Smith his entire rookie year, learning the game without the pressure to carry the team. Mahomes is a great player in a great situation.  I think Edmunds is the same.

By the way, Frazier and McD are the unWrecks.  Ryan came in, tossed out a very excellent defense, and tried to run his version with players who weren't suited.  This more than anything is why I hate that man.  

The one thing we don't get a lot of in this D is sacks, that is until we played the Titans.  The system is designed to put pressure on all parts of the opposing O, not just attacking the QB.  Getting a lot of sacks means leaving holes elsewhere.  The Bills D hates holes more than it loves sacks.

Any one would take Mahomes over those three in a heartbeat. He would have been a star even on this team.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I will fully concede Roquan Smith and LVE are superior to Edmunds in terms of being old school, run-stopping-first linebackers.

As far as in TODAY'S NFL, though? I'll take Edmunds all day long. Give me a guy with his height, wingspan, speed, and twitch all day long over the old school bruisers. And yes, I know Roquan and LVE are not STRICTLY old school bruisers. I realize they have speed themselves and a bit of coverage skill. But in terms of their ability to dominate the middle of the field and completely change the quarterback's thought processes? Edmunds, Edmunds, Edmunds.

It's not a coincidence that the Bills vaulted to the top of the NFL's pass defense rankings once they swapped out Preston Brown for Tremainue Edmunds. And on top of everything I just mentioned, he's getting better against the run each and every week. He may never be that big hit, highlight reel tackle, "enforcer" type, but he seems to have the skillset to be one of the greatest coverage middle linebackers to ever play the game. Not too bad for a guy who just gained the right to drink alcohol legally last year.

I think he is becoming that (see the Pats game where he stuffed the runner on at least two occasions that I recall). Also: as he is still VERY young his body will, more than likely, continue to ‘fill out’. 

?% agree with you...for the most part. ? 

9 hours ago, brianthomas said:

great write up on the Bills D. I wasn't aware of how many different stat lines we're in the top part of the league in.

And best part about it, our defense is still coming together & learning & getting better, working as 1 cohesive unit.

They're gonna be dominant for years to come.

It's pretty exciting!

The Jazz factor for getting noticed is INT and Sacks.  When they come, the Bills defense will be called Elite by ESPN, CBS,  FOX, NFL  broadcasts. 

It doesn't matter though.  This team is about WINNING

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Any one would take Mahomes over those three in a heartbeat. He would have been a star even on this team.

We would never know and never be able to find out ?

52 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Jazz factor for getting noticed is INT and Sacks.  When they come, the Bills defense will be called Elite by ESPN, CBS,  FOX, NFL  broadcasts. 

It doesn't matter though.  This team is about WINNING

We would never know and never be able to find out ?

We do know and it's hard to hide that denial.

Edited by Boca BIlls