Bills elite defense: Here's why 4-1 Buffalo has been so hard to score on in 2019

Is scary to think what Edmunds can become. Watching that kid in coverage, looks so effortless. McDermott and Edmunds are an ideal match.

As far as Milano, I mean, could you ask for anything more out of a late round pick? If the kid stays healthy, hes going to be a cornerstone for a decade plus.

• Like (+1) 1

great write up on the Bills D. I wasn't aware of how many different stat lines we're in the top part of the league in.

And best part about it, our defense is still coming together & learning & getting better, working as 1 cohesive unit.

They're gonna be dominant for years to come.

It's pretty exciting!

The title of article - combined with the focus on Milano & Edwards - implies the two LBs are THE reason the Bills D excels.   Obviously the real situation is more complicated.  The Bills have talent at all three levels: DL, LB, and secondary.  

And one thing I really enjoy is listening to opposing coaches talking about how fundamentally strong this D is and how it doesn't make mistakes.  McD, Frazier and the entire defensive coaching staff are doing a nice job.  

Thanks for sharing, 17.  I thought it was an interesting article.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I still have LVE and Smith ahead but with the huge progress Edmunds has made year 1 to year 2 the gap is closing each week. Edmunds ceiling is and always was higher than LVE. And he is getting closer to that ceiling all the time. 

Smith struggled quite a bit against Green Bay last week. He has a tendency to run himself out of plays and get wiped out rather easily by OL. Check out @CharlesRobinson on Twitter, he had some breakdowns and video clips posted. Essentially, Smith is a big reason why Aaron Green ran all over them. I realize this article is more about coverage than run defense but I just thought Robinson had some interesting observations. He didn't trash the guy, when Smith gets his first step going in the right direction he's usually quick enough to elude blocks and make the tackle or get in the lane. He's kind of all-or-nothin' in that sense.

Edited by blacklabel

At some point the turnovers will start piling up. We've had a lot of tipped balls and almost all of them have fallen to the ground. Sooner or later those will start getting intercepted.

Misleading. These stats help but its a team effort. Our secondary is also lights out. Even the weakest, Levi Wallace is shutting down WR's and making plays. It's a team effort and the Defense plays as one with everyone knowing their assignment and working together. Does having great coverage LB's help? Absolutely, but I think this D is predicated on the sum of its parts rather than individual stats.

• Like (+1) 2

Good coaches put good players in a position to succeed.  Beane has gotten the players McD and Frazier want.  Talk about complementary football -- it's wonderful to see it all working.

A couple years ago we could have drafted Mahomes, and didn't do it.  The payoff is White, Allen, and Edmunds.  As good as Mahomes is, he would have struggled with the talent here the past two years.  And he wouldn't have had the luxury of watching Smith his entire rookie year, learning the game without the pressure to carry the team. Mahomes is a great player in a great situation.  I think Edmunds is the same.

By the way, Frazier and McD are the unWrecks.  Ryan came in, tossed out a very excellent defense, and tried to run his version with players who weren't suited.  This more than anything is why I hate that man.  

The one thing we don't get a lot of in this D is sacks, that is until we played the Titans.  The system is designed to put pressure on all parts of the opposing O, not just attacking the QB.  Getting a lot of sacks means leaving holes elsewhere.  The Bills D hates holes more than it loves sacks.

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

I love Milano and he’s great out there.  But his coverage stats aren’t as good as as Edmunds.  Facing same number of targets, Milano is giving up  more yards and a comp rate of of 68% compared to Edmunds at 52.6% which is second on the team only narrowly behind Levi Wallace at 52.3%.  Also they are the only two on the team under 53%.  

This post is not meant to diminish Milano, he’s been great and I love him and think him and Edmunds are one the best duos in the league right now and still getting better.  

Intent here is to showcase how excellent Edmunds has been in pass coverage, he’s going to be special for a long time in this league IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

I will fully concede Roquan Smith and LVE are superior to Edmunds in terms of being old school, run-stopping-first linebackers.

As far as in TODAY'S NFL, though? I'll take Edmunds all day long. Give me a guy with his height, wingspan, speed, and twitch all day long over the old school bruisers. And yes, I know Roquan and LVE are not STRICTLY old school bruisers. I realize they have speed themselves and a bit of coverage skill. But in terms of their ability to dominate the middle of the field and completely change the quarterback's thought processes? Edmunds, Edmunds, Edmunds.

It's not a coincidence that the Bills vaulted to the top of the NFL's pass defense rankings once they swapped out Preston Brown for Tremainue Edmunds. And on top of everything I just mentioned, he's getting better against the run each and every week. He may never be that big hit, highlight reel tackle, "enforcer" type, but he seems to have the skillset to be one of the greatest coverage middle linebackers to ever play the game. Not too bad for a guy who just gained the right to drink alcohol legally last year.

• Like (+1) 1