Do you guys still talk to your childhood friends?

Not high school friends...like neighborhood childhood friends from elementary school. 

Since my dad was military, I moved a lot as a kid.  Minnesota is where I spent most of my time and I don't talk to any of those guys.  It was kind of like Stand by Me...the friendship basically ended after they went on the middle school.  Mine wasn't exactly like that, my family moved to Georgia when I became a teen.  So physical distance was the reason I lost in touch.

A lot of my high school friends here in Atlanta, never left the area and have lived here since birth.  These guys still hangout and having been hanging out since kindergarten.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Just one, and that's because our families are close. (His mom and my mom were best friends, and their family had kids about the same ages as my siblings and myself.) I see him occasionally at family events, but if our families weren't close, I'd probably never hang out with him. He's a decent guy, but we grew apart in high school and don't have much in common anymore.

I have a few college friends that I still see on a somewhat annual basis, but that's about as far back as I go.

Funny story. About 15-20 years ago I went to a baseball game and got routed to a parking lot that I had never been too. As I'm walking to the stadium I see a cop directing traffic and ask him how I can exit after the game. The guy just stares at me through dark sunglasses and I'm thinking to myself what a d!ck. Then he lifts up his shades and it's my best friend growing up. Probably hadn't seen him in 20+ years and haven't seen or spoken to him since.

i have a few from each stage of my life that i keep in touch.  the two guys from grade school and high school,  a handful of guys from college, and a handful of guys from grad school.  i see the grade/high school guys the most due to location, but we try to keep in touch.

My best friend today, JD, has been my best friend since kindergarten. We are both currently 62 years old. His younger brother (who was born while JD and I were in kindergarten) was also among my best friends until he passed away when he was only 47.  I also have many friends I met in grade school, high school, college.

Keeping friendships for that long, especially when you all move to various parts of the country, takes work---time, effort, etc. Good friends are too valuable to not work to keep, IMO.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1

I had a childhood friend get in touch with me about 10 years ago.  I hadn’t seen the guy in about 40 years. We made small talk, which was nice, but then he started to ask questions about insider investing information relating to my work. The end. 

58 minutes ago, teef said:

i have a few from each stage of my life that i keep in touch.  the two guys from grade school and high school,  a handful of guys from college, and a handful of guys from grad school.  i see the grade/high school guys the most due to location, but we try to keep in touch.

What about prison?  Do you talk to any former bunk buddy inmate?

• Haha (+1) 2

If I had any left, I would probably talk to them.

My best friend in first grade drowned while we were swimming.  

Then my best friend in third grade hit his head real bad when we were riding bikes.  He died, too. 

My best friend in 4th grade somehow suffocated at my house when he slept over.

Starting in 5th grade, I had a lot of trouble making friends.

Wanna hang out?

• Haha (+1) 2

Nope.

My brother, however... he's still friends with a good 10-15 guys he grew up with, some of those friendships going back to second grade! (about 45 years)

Hmmm now that I think about it, I see those guys (my brother's growing-up friends) a lot, too. Hubby is hunting buddies with two of them, and Hubby and I are friends with one of the couples in my brother's crowd and frequently go out to dinner with them, etc. I was never friends with any of these people growing up, but I have known them for 45+ years. 

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If I had any left, I would probably talk to them.

My best friend in first grade drowned while we were swimming.  

Then my best friend in third grade hit his head real bad when we were riding bikes.  He died, too. 

My best friend in 4th grade somehow suffocated at my house when he slept over.

Starting in 5th grade, I had a lot of trouble making friends.

Wanna hang out?

A lot of people have a bad habit of winding up dead around you.

(got that from a Dirty Harry movie)

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What about prison?  Do you talk to any former bunk buddy inmate?

my wife is too antsy about the aryan brotherhood thing makes my wife antsy.  it was a different time in my life.

Yes, we have a decent sized group of friends that have been together going back to 2nd grade for some of us. Picked up others in Middle and High school. We're all early 40s now.

It's a blessing, and a curse.

Great to have a "chosen family" which often has all the perks of family with less of the drawbacks.

The biggest issue I've found is that it makes it tough to grow and change because these people expect you to be the same ol person you always have been. And it's easy to get stuck in old (bad) habits when it's so comfortable.

Yeah, even though I'm a world away and 30 years removed, I still stay in touch with my NY friends.

In fact there are core friends from all of the places I've lived that I still keep in touch with.

Just last week I received an email from one of my workmates from Xerox (1989!) that wants to come down to NZ for a visit.

35 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes, we have a decent sized group of friends that have been together going back to 2nd grade for some of us. Picked up others in Middle and High school. We're all early 40s now.

It's a blessing, and a curse.

Great to have a "chosen family" which often has all the perks of family with less of the drawbacks.

The biggest issue I've found is that it makes it tough to grow and change because these people expect you to be the same ol person you always have been. And it's easy to get stuck in old (bad) habits when it's so comfortable.

Is that why you still huff gas?