Deangelo Hall says Tre has been a top 3 corner...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001063730/article/patriots-stephon-gilmore-heads-list-of-top-five-nfl-cornerbacks

Good stuff coming from a high level CB in his day. I would argue we have 2 corners that could be considered top 10 this year as Wallace has been playing awesome as well! Exciting times!

Tre'Davious White

CB

Bills

There has been a youth movement at the cornerback position, and White has been at the center of it since coming into the league in 2017. He is thriving under Sean McDermott in Buffalo as a more athletic version of Josh Norman, who had his best seasons with McDermott in Carolina. The Bills don't play a ton of man-to-man; rather, the defense works collectively to succeed in zone coverages. A form of zone McDermott uses is quarters/palms, which is a form of trap coverage. In simple terms, the cornerback reads the route of WR2 while keeping WR1 in his vision. If WR2 breaks out, the cornerback defends him and the safety takes WR1. Defenders must have a high football IQ to succeed in this defense, and White has all the necessary tools and then some, having forced three turnovers so far this season, including a game-sealing interception in Week 3

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Lattimore remains in my top 5. The last two weeks he has been back to his best after a slow start to the season. He totally shut down Mike Evans on Sunday. It was hugely impressive. 

I called Lattimore, White, Humphrey potentially an all time corner class at draft time and so far, so good. 

Darius Slay and Jalen Ramsey are both still elite but have been hurt and Casey Hayward of the Chargers is another who is consistently excellent and underrated. 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Lattimore remains in my top 5. The last two weeks he has been back to his best after a slow start to the season. He totally shut down Mike Evans on Sunday. It was hugely impressive. 

I called Lattimore, White, Humphrey potentially an all time corner class at draft time and so far, so good. 

Darius Slay and Jalen Ramsey are both still elite but have been hurt and Casey Hayward of the Chargers is another who is consistently excellent and underrated. 

where would you put tre?

Always hated Hall. He was the first domino to fall in the sequence of events that cost the Bills Ben Roethlisberger in the 04 draft. Shortly after he was picked, HOU got nervous that they wouldn’t get their CB with the Bills pick and cancelled their trade with the Bills. Ugh ! 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

IMO, Deangelo Hall, knows more about the intricacies of gambling and missing than almost anyone in the history of football.

CB is a risky position, good thing they are off the screen 1.2 seconds after the ball is snapped

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001063730/article/patriots-stephon-gilmore-heads-list-of-top-five-nfl-cornerbacks

Good stuff coming from a high level CB in his day. I would argue we have 2 corners that could be considered top 10 this year as Wallace has been playing awesome as well! Exciting times!

Tre'Davious White

CB

Bills

There has been a youth movement at the cornerback position, and White has been at the center of it since coming into the league in 2017. He is thriving under Sean McDermott in Buffalo as a more athletic version of Josh Norman, who had his best seasons with McDermott in Carolina. The Bills don't play a ton of man-to-man; rather, the defense works collectively to succeed in zone coverages. A form of zone McDermott uses is quarters/palms, which is a form of trap coverage. In simple terms, the cornerback reads the route of WR2 while keeping WR1 in his vision. If WR2 breaks out, the cornerback defends him and the safety takes WR1. Defenders must have a high football IQ to succeed in this defense, and White has all the necessary tools and then some, having forced three turnovers so far this season, including a game-sealing interception in Week 3

And yet, it's a scheme where CBs are not generally going to get a lot of INTs, which like it or not, is how the position is generally measured.    It requires CBs to keep everything in front of them and isn't big on freelancing or jumping routes.   

Not taking away anything from 'Tre but he's unlikely to ever have big individual stats in the collectively-focused scheme the Bills play...

Edited by Lurker