Bills Wire suggests Daboll a candidate for the Redskins opening.

I don't see what would be impressive about Daboll to the point where another team would want him as a head coach. Josh and the offense is still a work in progress and it isn't like the scheme is so unique and innovative either (It is a quality or at least decent offensive scheme but it isn't reinventing the wheel.) But then again I thought the same thing about Lynn and he got hired by the Chargers. So who knows, but I just think Daboll's head coaching aspirations will have to wait until after the 2020 season as I don't think the offense explodes in the second half of the season. But in 2020 adding a weapon or two to the skill position tree could have the offense and Josh position to be a top 10 unit. 

On 10/9/2019 at 9:39 AM, Lurker said:

Uh huh.

They're currently 12th in offense and should be top 10 after the Fins game...

By what metric?  They are 25th in points at 18 ppg.  19th in passing yards.  The rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage.  Tied for 3rd in giveaways as well..  This isn't a good unit.

Edited by HeHateMe

On 10/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, billsfan89 said:

I don't see what would be impressive about Daboll to the point where another team would want him as a head coach.

What was impressive about Zac Taylor, Brian Flores, or Matt LeFleur? Taylor and Flores werent even Coordinators.

It isnt so much that Daboll has an amazing resume, more that there is a big lack of new coaching options in the NFL.

Teams are desperate, and there is a big push to bring in "Offensive Minds". He gets considered simply for being next in line.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What was impressive about Zac Taylor, Brian Flores, or Matt LeFleur? Taylor and Flores werent even Coordinators.

It isnt so much that Daboll has an amazing resume, more that there is a big lack of new coaching options in the NFL.

Teams are desperate, and there is a big push to bring in "Offensive Minds". He gets considered simply for being next in line.

Sooooo....Rick Dennison the next HC of the Falcons?

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sooooo....Rick Dennison the next HC of the Falcons?

LOL, maybe if HC stands for Head Custodian.

But I could see Blank bringing in Daboll, or even more likely Frazier. Especially after we make the playoffs this year.

edit: for that matter, if they clean house and fire Dimitroff as well (which is likely), I could see him bringing in Brian Gaine as GM, who would have a direct link to either of our Coordinators.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

On 10/9/2019 at 8:09 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Outside of Pettine...when have we lost a coordinator to a HC job?  Marchibroda?

I'm sure if our defense continues, Leslie Frazier will get some consideration too.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/09/could-buffalo-bills-brian-daboll-be-redskins-next-coach/

Heh and it worked so well for Pettine to take a HC job, any HC job.

If Daboll's smart, he'll do a Brian Schottenheimer "Thanks, I'm good here!"

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

By what metric?  They are 25th in points at 18 ppg.  19th in passing yards.  The rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage.  Tied for 3rd in giveaways as well..  This isn't a good unit.

Well, you know, when I've focused on PPG I've always gotten pushback from folks who assert that yards per game is the official stat.  And by that YPG metric, according to Pro Football Reference, we're currently 10th after the Titans game.

But the metric that really matters is highlighted in yellow below.  However few or many points your D gives up, O gotta score more - and we have, 4 out of 5 times.

I don't quite follow your point about "the rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage".  It's almost as though you feel rushing yardage is somehow a less legitimate contribution to offensive production, but that would be silly - you can't mean that, can you?

I would say this is a unit with a lot of promise - a unit that has consistently moved the ball but has shot itself in the foot with turnovers.  If we can rein that in, we can go places.

image.thumb.png.2663b08949bb7390b02b9675e0e42782.png

On 10/10/2019 at 7:26 PM, SirAndrew said:

I get that, but unpredictability is the only area I actually see. I don’t think Daboll really has maximized the offense’s strengths, or masked deficiencies. He hasn’t called this offense consistent with the fact that we have an elite defense with a young QB. The run game and high percentage short passing games are crucial with an elite defense. I see too much of an emphasis on establishing the passing game at times when the running game needs to be used.

Josh Allen is not ready to consistently take over games at this point in his career. Our offense needs to be a team effort, and sometimes it feels like our play calling is placing too much on Allen’s shoulders imo. Daboll began the season by having Allen throw on 17 consecutive plays against the Jets. That’s absolutely absurd for any team that doesn’t have Brees, Brady, or Mahomes. Eventually incorporating Singletary helped us crawl back into that game. 

To be fair, at your 2nd point, we don't know how much Allen audibled into pass plays. Many of those 17 started with the Bills in a formation that looked like it was going to run only to split our fullback out wide.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, you know, when I've focused on PPG I've always gotten pushback from folks who assert that yards per game is the official stat.  And by that YPG metric, according to Pro Football Reference, we're currently 10th after the Titans game.

But the metric that really matters is highlighted in yellow below.  However few or many points your D gives up, O gotta score more - and we have, 4 out of 5 times.

I don't quite follow your point about "the rushing yardage has helped the offense total yardage".  It's almost as though you feel rushing yardage is somehow a less legitimate contribution to offensive production, but that would be silly - you can't mean that, can you?

I would say this is a unit with a lot of promise - a unit that has consistently moved the ball but has shot itself in the foot with turnovers.  If we can rein that in, we can go places.

Well the Redskins D gives up 28 ppg, so maybe Daboll is exactly where he belongs for now....

Edited by Mr. WEO

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't necessarily mean to crap on the rushing stats but we've had good run games in the past and still have had a pretty bad offense for several years. 

If it was flipped and the passing was top 10, I would be way more encouraged.

Yardage is nice and all but if you don't put up points and/or turn the ball over, that kind of kills your unit.