#2 Points Allowed

ganesh

Currently,  we are the #2 against points allowed team.   Opponents have scored 70 points against us.  The Patriots have allowed only 39.   

If the Punts blocked for TD and the many INTs that were returned for TD or TD scored off the turnover, we will be in the same category as the Patriots...

This defense is for REAL

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Many ints returned for Td's? I drink pretty hard during the games, but I dont recall one int the Bills have thrown returned for a td let alone many. But agree otherwise. This d is legit.

*disregard top part I see what you mean now.

Edited by Bferra13
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Many ints returned for Td's? I drink pretty hard during the games, but I dont recall one int the Bills have thrown returned for a td let alone many. But agree otherwise. This d is legit.

Forgot bout the pick 6 in the opener?

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

It happened in the Jets game--first touchdown of the game was a pick six off the hands of Cole Beasley.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Currently,  we are the #2 against points allowed team.   Opponents have scored 70 points against us.  The Patriots have allowed only 39.   

If the Punts blocked for TD and the many INTs that were returned for TD or TD scored off the turnover, we will be in the same category as the Patriots...

This defense is for REAL

Again, points allowed is NOT a stat which isolates the defense.

It's probably 30% offense and special teams.

If Gore fumbles the opponent recovers on the Bills one and the defense holds and the opponent kicks an FG, "Points Allowed" says the defense allowed 3 points, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. If Allen throws a pick six, "Points Allowed" says the defense allowed seven points, which again could not be further from the truth. As you pointed out, the punt blocked for TD and the INTs that gave good field position were major factors in a lot of points that the Buffalo Bills have allowed.

Is this defense for real? Yeah, absolutely. But Points Allowed is more of a team stat. Yards Allowed is the stat which best isolates defensive performance. According to yards allowed (and any stat after five games is going to suffer from not enough data and schedule bias) we're 3rd best.

Yeah, we're damn good on defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Now if only we could score 40/game like the Pats*!  I’m patient, and I like most of what I’m seeing. These close games are just hard on my heart! 

‘Yeah, we’re 4-1, BUT... ‘

Never happy, are ya? smh..?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just watched herds hierarchy. As a general rule I’m not a huge fan but I like him today. ??

anyhow we came in has his #9 team and he goes on to say the bills have the best defense in football and his foundation was everything they’ve done to this point and the fact they shut down the 3rd scoring team in the NFL lead by Brady. 

IMO, when the bills and pats played, I thought we had the better unit that day given their circumstances. 

Nice to hear it from a known media member.... even if happen to me a moron. HAHA! 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Now if only we could score 40/game like the Pats*!  I’m patient, and I like most of what I’m seeing. These close games are just hard on my heart! 

Maybe if our schedule was as soft as the Patriots?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Well it is.... we get Miami twice and Washington too. Those are games that if this team is for real it doesn't just win but dominates. 

Yes, true. I just meant that they have had their cream puffs up front. Let's see how we do against Miami and Washington. But knowing McDermott, I doubt we run up the score on those bad teams.

24 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Just watched herds hierarchy. As a general rule I’m not a huge fan but I like him today. ??

anyhow we came in has his #9 team and he goes on to say the bills have the best defense in football and have proved it with the numbers and the fact they shut down the 3rd scoring team in the NFL. 

IMO, when the bills and pats played, I thought we had the better unit that day given their circumstances. 

Nice to hear it from a known media member.... even if happen to me a moron. HAHA! 

I watch the Herd Hierarchy on youtube every week. He actually dropped us two spots. We were at #7 last week. I think that is more to do with other teams he wanted to move up though (San Fran have shot up and Seattle) rather than moving the Bills down. I think he still has the Rams above us. That is one I would question. They have no run game and their defense is really not performing at all. Marcus Peters gets exposed more than your local neighbourhood flasher. 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes, true. I just meant that they have had their cream puffs up front. Let's see how we do against Miami and Washington. But knowing McDermott, I doubt we run up the score on those bad teams.

It is less about running up the score and more about beating them by a minimum of two touchdowns. The sort of games where as a fan by the start of the 4th Qrtr you are thinking "unless something strange happens here this game is done". 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

This defense is for REAL

The other thing in the comparison of the Patriots and Bills, neither team has faced many offensive juggernauts. The Bills faced a good offense in the Patriots, but not vice versa.  The Patriots, like the Bills, have an easy schedule this season, but I think their unreal defensive stats will come back to reality over the course of the season as they face some better offensive teams.