What hacks do you do?

You know hacks like those cool little things storing grocery plastic bags in an empty Lysol container or cut PVC pipes to use as lawn/gardening tool holders.

I use tin foil balls instead of dryer sheets.  I take aluminum foil, roll it into a ball the size of a baseball (two of them) and throw them in the dryer.  I never get static anymore.

Sorry, maybe off topic a bit, but we went to Hilton Head this summer and Publix there has gotten rid of the plastic grocery bags. They have gone to paper or your reusable. Now I have to buy their poop bags for my dog!!!  THAT is my hack, grocery bags for poop bags! What kind of Lysol container do you stick them in? We just shove a bunch of bags into one bag under the kitchen sink, then a working supply in chest by the front door. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry, maybe off topic a bit, but we went to Hilton Head this summer and Publix there has gotten rid of the plastic grocery bags. They have gone to paper or your reusable. Now I have to buy their poop bags for my dog!!!  THAT is my hack, grocery bags for poop bags! What kind of Lysol container do you stick them in? We just shove a bunch of bags into one bag under the kitchen sink, then a working supply in chest by the front door. 

we used those same paper bags from that publix as the table cloth for our low country boil. Realized we didn’t have any newspaper in the house, and saw that we still had a big pile of em! A pair of scissors and couple pieces of tape and we were ??

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sorry, maybe off topic a bit, but we went to Hilton Head this summer and Publix there has gotten rid of the plastic grocery bags. They have gone to paper or your reusable. Now I have to buy their poop bags for my dog!!!  THAT is my hack, grocery bags for poop bags! 

You might need to use the search function, but I read somewhere that it's possible for poop to be transported via a paper-based packaging option.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

You might need to use the search function, but I read somewhere that it's possible for poop to be transported via a paper-based packaging option.

Ever try to grab some dog crap using a paper bag as a “glove”? Personally, I’d stick to the plastic / turn inside out method. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

we used those same paper bags from that publix as the table cloth for our low country boil. Realized we didn’t have any newspaper in the house, and saw that we still had a big pile of em! A pair of scissors and couple pieces of tape and we were ??

Because I’m apparently incapable of staying on track, we did a Sunny Anderson lowcountry boil on a baking sheet in the oven. Look into that if that’s your thing. Don’t leach all the flavor out into water you throw away. It was a hit. 

4 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Ever try to grab some dog crap using a paper bag as a “glove”? Personally, I’d stick to the plastic / turn inside out method. 

So would I.

But at  least one TBD poster claimed success with paper even though it had nothing to do with a dog.

• Like (+1) 1

About 8 years ago... I hacked my garage door operator (GDO) to make it "Bluetooth enabled."

Can open GDO with my phone.  Never need to buy a remote again if I don't want to.

It's secure (and someone can't break into a car parked in driveway and open door w/visor remote) because I used a basic hands free headset and soldered in a transistor to recognize the connecting/disconnecting of the Bluetooth audio as the momentary door switch (ie: acts like a doorbell). The hands free unit is a: Samsung 1100.  Only way to pair it is in the garage and on a ladder. The 1100 stays on charge 100% plugged into mains with AC charge adapter

I mounted a old smartphone on WiFi... I can remote in... Use the camera and open the door from anywhere.

Cost: <$25.00

Still kicking after almost a decade.

CC:

@BringBackFergy (I am working on the lock & dam version.  (I) Got the naming rights to: "Lockman 2000®."  Put those pesky safety/OSHA people ( @mead107 )always want at least two boots on the ground, on site at all times!)

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You know hacks like those cool little things storing grocery plastic bags in an empty Lysol container or cut PVC pipes to use as lawn/gardening tool holders.

I use tin foil balls instead of dryer sheets.  I take aluminum foil, roll it into a ball the size of a baseball (two of them) and throw them in the dryer.  I never get static anymore.

I take handfuls of restaurant napkins home with me.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Two questions, if you don't mind.

Who's chest do you keep by the front door?

What can you tell us about food processors?

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

What is your favorite sticky sweet thing to eat?  Cinnamon buns are awfully tough to beat.

I like a blueberry muffin.  I don't like cinnamon in general...thus not a fan in Cinnamon buns.  

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Hans and Franz need to have a word with you, and your ‘girly mahn’ foo foo beverage.  ?

Coffee is so much better when it's tan colored and tastes like a hot Wendy's vanilla frosty.

• Haha (+1) 1

Sorry that I derailed this thread.

Here's a real one that I really like.

As everyone knows the "outer" crust on a pizza is the absolute best part.  I, personally always eat it before I worry about the inner crust, sauce, cheese and toppings.  There's one life hack...eat the outer crust first.  If you're getting full and can't finish the entire slice always eat the outer crust and leave the lesser inner crust etc. behind. (that's hack 2)

Finally, I have isolated and perfected the outside crust (hack three).  I call them breadsticks.  PM me if you want the recipe.

In conclusion, you can also add dipping sauces (cheese, marinara, garlic butter etc.) to make the perfect outer crust AKA breadstick even better. (this is hack d)