Report that Bills inquired about Eli Manning?

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

One (Barkley) is young enough to start so that’s worth a 2

The other (Manning) is old enough to guide, that’s worth a 5. 

Ok I hear your rationale.

I guess you can dream that Barkley is worth a 2.  

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He has a no-trade clause and I’ve never read that he any sort of burning desire to be a “mentor.”  If you are Eli why would you leave NY?  The only way I see that happening is the chance to start for a team.  That’s not happening in Buffalo.  

He’s already a back to Daniel Jones, why would he want to leave to be a backup to Josh Allen in Buffalo?  

Also the Bills signed Barkley to a multi-year extension before FA for a reason.  They like him as a #2 to Allen. 

This report was fake news from a “reporter” with no credibility.   There’s not a snowballs chance hell that the Bills will trade for Eli and I highly doubt they even called NYG.   

We gave him the contract before Eli was benched.

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

You guys need to look at it from Beane’s perspective...it’s a business. 
1) We have $88 million in cap space

2) We have three or four 5th round picks in the next two years

3) We have a backup QB who has demonstrated some success, team player, smart, athletic (Preseason and Jets game last year). 

As a business decision, would you not acquire Eli (if he approved) for his base salary and two 5th round picks (one in 2020 and one in 2021)? In exchange some team gives us a second or third rounder for Barkley? This is a QB driven league and Barkley is better than the QB in Pittsburgh, Possibly SD and NO. 

Glad Beane is thinking all the time. I’d love to have Eli in the QB room. 

You had me right up until you said "in exchange some team gives us a second or third for Barkley". That would never happen in a million years. I'm guessing a low fourth round pick would be the very apex of expectations for Barkley with a more realistic spot being a fifth or sixth rounder. Your other points are well taken though. I can very easily see this being Beane's train of thought.

I think this makes sense.  If you take the bills Homer glasses off, Allen is struggling.  He is missing opportunities and making mistakes.  The only reason any of our games have been close, including NE, is because of big misses and turnovers. 

Our Defense is good enough to win a Superbowl.  Our O is good enough to win a Superbowl, with a high level QB.  

Eli his whole career has been either scalding hot or icy cold.  If you got him on a hot streak Bills could go 18-1.  Plus Allen is one hit away from being out for the year.  

For as highly as we Bills fans view Barkley, as much for some to say we could get a 2nd for him. Multiple NFL publications online consistently rate Barkley & the Bills backup situation as one of the worst in the league. So while we might place him in high standing, the NFL pundits surely don't seem to view him in that regard.

Just a few sources: https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/5-worst-qb-situations-in-the-nfl-heading-into-the-2019-season-01djzqqd49t7

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841804-ranking-every-nfl-teams-backup-qb-situation#slide1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/09/25/nfl-backup-qb-rankings-teams-jets-cowboys-giants/2360551001/

I could post more lol

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

If Eli still wants to play -as a mentor, I’d love it. I have far more faith in him than Barkley if we lose Josh for an extended period of time. Our Defense is Championship quality and will be for a few more years. Eli could be the next Earl Morrall.

If you don’t know who he is, yer a snot-nosed punk.

Earl Morrall! Now we are going back just a little!

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

probably 22 "million" reasons why it would not happen..........

Eli will need Archies's permission for such a move. Lol!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah, it’s less about the legitimacy of the tweet, more about Phil the dill -or whatever his new handle from being previously banned is. There is an absolute endless line of great QBs with remarkable and HOF careers who end their career on other teams. Van Brocklin, Unitas, Namath, Montana, Moon, Cunningham, Gabriel to name a few off the top of my head. Hell, if Dill the pill were even 8 years old, he’d know Eli’s own brother was kicked to the curb from the team he won a Super Bowl with, only to win another one with another club. That’s what I’m targeting.

There’s no correlation.  Namath, Unitas, Moon, Cunningham, Montana all left their team to START on another team.  They left to become a STARTER....not to be backup.  

THEY LEFT BECAUSE THEIR PREVIOUS TEAM SENT THEM PACKING. I’m doing you a favor, though I don’t know why, and deleting the rest of your weak post. C#81

11 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

You guys need to look at it from Beane’s perspective...it’s a business. 
1) We have $88 million in cap space

2) We have three or four 5th round picks in the next two years

3) We have a backup QB who has demonstrated some success, team player, smart, athletic (Preseason and Jets game last year). 

As a business decision, would you not acquire Eli (if he approved) for his base salary and two 5th round picks (one in 2020 and one in 2021)? In exchange some team gives us a second or third rounder for Barkley? This is a QB driven league and Barkley is better than the QB in Pittsburgh, Possibly SD and NO. 

Glad Beane is thinking all the time. I’d love to have Eli in the QB room. 

If anyone offers you a second round pick for Matt Barkley you dont even let him pack a bag and throw him out the door

And I like Barkley alot 

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I wouldn’t mind a hall of famer whispering sweet nothings into Josh’s ear on the sideline. Added benefit is that it’s unlikely to cause much of a QB controversy cause Eli Manning is the only QB more hated than Josh Allen in the media the past couple years.

Honest question though (and I don’t personally know the answer)... if you had them both sitting on the bench, both up to speed on the playbook/getting the same reps each week, who would you send in when Allen went down with concussion against Pats- Barkley or Manning?

Its not even a question, Eli, if the price was right.

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

I can't get a grip on this love for Barkley.  A 2nd for Barkley is insanity.

Nor I.  He's a mid tier backup at best, and he played ONE good game for us. Otherwise he's been pretty craptacular  his whole career.

9 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Is it hard to see? If Josh gets any kind of season ending injury, Eli is superior to Barkley in every way, you want to know what it costs to try to save a season where you should be playoff bound and potentially more.  You don't want to pay him for less than that, so its just kicking the tires in case something happens. 

Totally agree, this was a "what do we do if Allen is out long term" exercise.  Makes sense,  plan for what you can plan.