RG tapping center to start play? (Timing of snap)

While watching the All-22 I noticed when JA lined up in shotgun that the RG would check the line for set, and would tap the center just before the snap.

You can see some good examples of this in the 1st and 3rd quarters of the all-22 footage because the camera is to the Bills back in those quarters. For example< watch the Bills' first offensive series starting around the 4 minute mark of the all-22 footage.

The RG signaling the center that the line is set isn't that unusual; what interested me was the timing of the snap did not seem to vary after the tap for the entire game.

I'll have to watch this and see if they're trying to set the opponent's d-line up at some point by delaying the snap to pull an encroachment/Offside. I assume this was their version of the silent snap to combat crowd noise (not that crowd noise was a problem this week.) It was a little concerning that the entire game, probably 70% in shotgun, the timing was tap, half-second delay, snap. If I were a left side d-line/LB I'd key off that at least once.

Edited by timekills17

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

That’s how they tell the center to snap when it’s too loud. It’s happened for years. 

Yes - I wrote that in my OP.

That wasn't the question I posed; it was reference the lack of changing the timing the entire game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

That’s how they tell the center to snap when it’s too loud. It’s happened for years. 

Maybe (probably?) unrelated, but at the game I didn’t realize Morse was hurt until late. When did he get hurt? I missed it. I’m glad he was an ankle instead of another concussion guy! 

1 minute ago, timekills17 said:

Yes - I wrote that in my OP.

That wasn't the question I posed; it was reference the lack of changing the timing the entire game.

As TroutDog said it has been going on forever and I hear you. You’d think some D lineman would have caught on by now but.....

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, iinii said:

As TroutDog said it has been going on forever and I hear you. You’d think some D lineman would have caught on by now but.....

I suppose its a bit of "I know you know" game going on. The defense won't use it until its critical, but they know the offense knows its a critical play, and the offense might decide to try and fool them by changing it on that play...

But heck, I'd try jumping on the tap at least once. It would force the offense to get out of rhythm.

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe (probably?) unrelated, but at the game I didn’t realize Morse was hurt until late. When did he get hurt? I missed it. I’m glad he was an ankle instead of another concussion guy! 

Midway through first half 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Don’t be too happy...ankles (especially high ankle sprains) can keep a guy out longer than concussions in many cases.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Don’t be too happy...ankles (especially high ankle sprains) can keep a guy out longer than concussions in many cases.

True, a high ankle sprain can go a LOOOONG time, but another concussion would make me question his career. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

True, a high ankle sprain can go a LOOOONG time, but another concussion would make me question his career. 

Good point...

Also the broadcast has a good vantage point to see it, but I doubt all the defensive linemen can see it. One or two of them can for sure, but the guys on the edge probably don't.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

He was out with about 7 minutes left in 2nd quarter

• Thank you (+1) 1