Joe B. All-22 from Titans game: Dawkins and Hughes shine

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

But I thought Dawkins sucks? 

Dawkins doesn't suck, he's just inconsistent.  A good game here, a bad game there.  That is why he is an average LT at this point, though I hope that changes and he can become an above average LT.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Jerry Hughes is an awesome buffalo Bill. 

Has been from day 1.

is now. 

That is all. 

I did not understand the trade when it happened and disliked it when they resigned him for real money-Jerry has made me happy I was not GM for those two decisions.

Really thought the talk of moving him to guard was hogwash. Dawkins had a down year playing with a bunch of scrubs on the line. The entire offense had a down year. I knew he'd get back to form and be a good tackle. Excited for him.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Dawkins doesn't suck, he's just inconsistent.  A good game here, a bad game there.  That is why he is an average LT at this point, though I hope that changes and he can become an above average LT.

I was being more facetious, I agree with that assessment of his play. I think he turns in more good than bad games but not by a margin wide enough. He is still fairly young so I think it is possible he showcases improvement.

There are several on this board I would trust to break down A22 before Joe B. 

This article from last week had Spain as one of the top linemen in the NFL through the first 4 weeks-- check out the other names with him on the list.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-offensive-leaders-in-total-points-earned-through-week-4/

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure

21 minutes ago, CSBill said:

The Spain grade surprises me. Didn't the Bills keep going his way on the last drive on Sunday? I'm not sure I take much stock in that low grade.

That series he actually had one of his worst plays of the game on the 1st play where he just missed an assignment with a delayed run blitzer. It has actually been something that has popped up on film against Spain both in the run and pass he seems to struggle with the delayed blitz. He is a big man and when you let him get moving with momentum off the snap he can dominate physically. The adjustment teams have made against him is give him nobody to block and engage with early in the down. Make him stop his feet and then attack him because he doesn't find it easy to get his feet moving again in those scenarios. 

That said the sequence that followed that play was a good run by Yeldon between C and RG where Feliciano and Long did a nice job creating a lane and then two good runs to the left by Gore on which Spain had big blocks. The first he and Dawkins ran a kind of offensive line stunt where Dawkins drove inside onto the linebacker and Spain hooked outside and totally walled off the edge rusher. The second play was a bit of a misdirection where they pulled the linemen to the right, and Spain came across and bashed his guy, and then Gore's job was just to be patient and then slip out down the left side. Really nice play call and well executed by the whole line. 

Should say again having watched the all22 while sitting by the pool and sipping a beer this morning.... Brian Daboll called a hell of a game on Sunday. Against a good defense he did a really nice job of mixing it up and in the big moments his play calling was excellent. 

I thought Daboll had a bad week last week but this was a significant rebound. Didn't love the second attempted QB sneak and I know the penultimate drive was a bit of a damp squib (though more on execution than play calling) but he did a nice job. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

That's weird. I heard Dawkins & Hughes suck this year.

?

Is this what’s going to happen every game?  Dawkins and Hughes never sucked but it’s also silly to not point out if they have bad games (and it’s good to point out when they have good ones).

what makes you a good player, especially at positions like LT and QB, is just being insanely consistent. I think Dawkins is far from sucking but he certainly isn’t consistent.  

10 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Does Joe B. know what he's doing? Nothing implied about his grades. Asking for a friend.

Dude, he’s in the “sports media” and he knows better than the coaches!

i actually think he’s ok but it’s important to know they don’t have the play call or the player’s assignment on the play.  When there is a blown coverage for example, a corner can look terrible but in reality, they were expecting a S to be over the top.  Media people don’t have access to that information. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd eventually like to see an OL of: Dawkins-Feliciano/Spain-Morse-Ford-Bates.

I was just talking about this yesterday with a couple of fellow Bills fans. I think our best 5, and probably most consistent OL, would be Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Bates. One wanted to argue as to why I had Spain on the bench? I told him it's pretty simple, because Feliciano is the better all around OL'man. I think Ford would shine at RG as well. Spain can serve as solid depth in case anything happens to either of the other OG's in the starting lineup. Despite their struggles against the Pats, this OL is CLEARLY two steps above what we put on the field last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

I was just talking about this yesterday with a couple of fellow Bills fans. I think our best 5, and probably most consistent OL, would be Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Bates. One wanted to argue as to why I had Spain on the bench? I told him it's pretty simple, because Feliciano is the better all around OL'man. I think Ford would shine at RG as well. Spain can serve as solid depth in case anything happens to either of the other OG's in the starting lineup. Despite their struggles against the Pats, this OL is CLEARLY two steps above what we put on the field last year. 

I think Spain has been our most consistent guy through 5 games. Others have had excellent games here and there but he has been the most consistent. There is no argument for starting Cody Ford over him at this point. 

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Spain has been our most consistent guy through 5 games. Others have had excellent games here and there but he has been the most consistent. There is no argument for starting Cody Ford over him at this point. 

I'm not saying he's been bad by any means. He has been a quality signing. He and Feliciano probably grade out about even imo. I would start Feliciano over him on the left side because of the mean streak Mongo brings to the line without there being really a drop off. Now, I haven't keyed in on Spain as much. I do know that he has has been solid though. Either way Mongo, or Spain, or whomever it is we have been putting on the field have been upgrades over the tragedy that was the OL last year. 

Edited by H2o