Woa These Guys Have us 6th in Power Rankings!

Scott7975

15 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Meh.... I dont think we are that good - yet.

I don't think of it as we are "that good."  It's just that so much of the league is poor right now and our defense IS "that good."  If our offense catches up to this defense then we are going to be winning some trophies.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills were to play 10-games against teams on a neutral field... I think I'd only rank the following teams as winning at least 6 of these games: 

NE, KC, Saints, Seattle, 

I think the following teams we'd go 5-5

Bears, 49ers

Now the fun part is in the NFL, you just need to win ONE game that you're playing that week.

Edited by Jobot

25 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

kind of a slap in the face really. you would hope that a 6th place spot would mean you're a top 6 team. thing is, there are really more not so good teams then good in 2019. if anything, maybe they'll coast in to the playoffs and use it for momentum going in to 2020?

edit: this is after week 5. obviously subject to change.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

32 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The rest of the league has a lot of mediocre and poor teams. Not all that hard to be top ten right now.

I think this is largely a function of a lot of top tier QBs going down with injury. That, and low levels teams feeling that tanking and stacking draft picks by trading away their only good players is a good idea. I’m really hoping that the NFL doesn’t turn into the NBA in that regard...

Edited by Sig1Hunter
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

31 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The rest of the league has a lot of mediocre and poor teams. Not all that hard to be top ten right now.

24 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't think of it as we are "that good."  It's just that so much of the league is poor right now and our defense IS "that good."  If our offense catches up to this defense then we are going to be winning some trophies.

18 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

kind of a slap in the face really. you would hope that a 6th place spot would mean you're a top 6 team. thing is, there are really more not so good teams then good in 2019. if anything, maybe they'll coast in to the playoffs and use it for momentum going in to 2020?

edit: this is after week 5. obviously subject to change.

I think this team is a top 6 team. Certainly they are on the defensive side of the ball. On the offensive side, they have moved the ball against everyone they have played, including two really good defenses in NE and TENN. What they need to eliminate are the mistakes (turnovers and penalties). If they can do that, then they absolutely can play with any team in the league. They had a shot at beating NE with their worst offensive performance of the year. The offense has a a lot of new pices to it and it will only get better.

• Like (+1) 4

Like was said above, if our O starts to fire on all cylinders we will be really good, right now the O is a V-8 running on 4 cylinders. The D on the other hand is kicking azs!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Jobot said:

If the Bills were to play 10-games against teams on a neutral field... I think I'd only rank the following teams as winning at least 6 of these games: 

NE, KC, Saints, Seattle, 

I think the following teams we'd go 5-5

Bears, 49ers

Now the fun part is in the NFL, you just need to win ONE game that you're playing that week.

I'd give a 60/40 edge to the Texans and Cowboys too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think this team is a top 6 team. Certainly they are on the defensive side of the ball. On the offensive side, they have moved the ball against everyone they have played, including two really good defenses in NE and TENN. What they need to eliminate are the mistakes (turnovers and penalties). If they can do that, then they absolutely can play with any team in the league. They had a shot at beating NE with their worst offensive performance of the year. The offense has a a lot of new pices to it and it will only get better.

I am not denigrating the Bills. They absolutely have a top 3 defense, arguably the best in the league. Doesn't change the generally poor level of play throughout the league. It takes less to be top ten in a year like this one is my rough sense of it. If the offense improves over the course of the year, given Allen's youth and the large number of new players, and avoiding significant injuries, there's an outside chance we could actually make a Super Bowl run, as crazy at that may sound.

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Like was said above, if our O starts to fire on all cylinders we will be really good, right now the O is a V-8 running on 4 cylinders. The D on the other hand is kicking azs!

Go Bills!!!

^^^^This fella said it more briefly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

then we should expect them to move up. I just pointed out that the league doesn't have many powerhouse teams under the top 10 right now, nfl.com ranks the bills 10th. still early yet to really have a good idea what teams see the postseason? they're sitting pretty decent at 4-1 and no doubt the defense is elite, or damn near anyway. JA still has work to do and he showed a few positive steps in the right direction last week. so 2019 he and the offense should get better as the weeks move on. 

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

A number of lists have at least four 3-2 teams ahead of us in their rankings.  They just can't stomach putting the lowly Bills ahead of the "sexy" hyped up teams.  They'll acknowledge the elite D but not adjust their ranking for it because all they care about is who can put up 30+ points a game.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I am not denigrating the Bills. They absolutely have a top 3 defense, arguably the best in the league. Doesn't change the generally poor level of play throughout the league. It takes less to be top ten in a year like this one is my rough sense of it. If the offense improves over the course of the year, given Allen's youth and the large number of new players, and avoiding significant injuries, there's an outside chance we could actually make a Super Bowl run, as crazy at that may sound.

^^^^This fella said it more briefly.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the state of the play in the league this year and you are right, if the offense improves over the course of the year, there is a real shot to go deep into the playoffs because the league is so week. I also believe if the offense can eliminate the critical mistakes (turnovers, penalties and drops that kill scoring chances, etc), then this team would be a legitimate top 10 team in any year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-week-6-power-rankings-great-teams-are-rare-entities-in-the-modern-nfl/ss-AAIrjVN?ocid=spartandhp#image=30

I got this link from an MSN home page.  It showed a picture of the Bills with a caption "The Bills have moved up how far?" or something along those lines.

Josh Allen is developing nicely as more than a running quarterback, and this has become an ideal team for its city -- a tough, wily bunch with the ability to outpunch just about anybody. 

:thumbsup:

I posted a 6 and 7 in the Reviewing the Bills and the State of the AFC - Week Five thread this AM.