Milano Roughing the Passer

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The "encroachment" call in the red zone made me a bit more furious to be honest.

I actually think the refs got that one right. The two guys on the end of the Titans’ line were able to shift since I don’t think they went into a 3-point stance, and they were shifting in the formation, which caused the bills player to jump Offside. I think that’s why they called encroachment. 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Calling this a foul on the defender doesn't protect anyone. That's the problem.

This isn't going to prevent blitzing. 

It should not prevent blitzing - why would they want to prevent blitzing?

They want the defenders attacking, but under control.  You had guys like JP Losman, Carson Palmer, and most famously Tom Brady get taken out by defenders that ended up hitting the QB low around the knees.  They wanted to lessen that chance - so they started making it illegal to hit a QB in the pocket down low and put a lot of guidance around that.

It seems to have helped as knee injuries to the QB are less frequent- especially in the pocket.

I think that penalizing the defender seems to have helped, but in the end sometimes things happen and guys get hurt, but working to have them hit in the body increases the protection.

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I do not see momentum anywhere in the rule.  As a matter of fact the reason to blitz like that is to defeat the blocker, make sure he can't become a receiver and continue on to the QB.  That's how it will happen if Lewis tries to block him higher.  Instead he cuts him and turns him into a flying, tumbling missile.  Unavoidable contact due to a block, say I.

I understand, but the NFL seems to disagree as they called it a penalty and it gets called like that the majority of times a QB is hit low.

You can say you do not agree, but if it is called a penalty the majority of the times it happens - then the obvious guidance behind the rules must be the NFL deems that a penalty.

There are a lot of penalties I do not agree with or think are ticky-Tac, but if they get called most of the time - then what I think is unimportant because the league has decided to call it that way - until they change it up with new guidance.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Where was the penalty on the player that cut Milano at the knees and launched him into the air? 

It is legal to cut block him at this time.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I have no issue if you want to ban the low hits, but that is not currently the rule.  

You see defensive players get upended like that in every couple of games - they are still responsible for their momentum.  

Whether it helps or not is up for debate because it happens infrequently and without that getting called would it happen more?  Would defensive players launch themselves more frequently and with more abandon if they were not penalized if the blocker touched them?

We won’t know - only that currently it seems to be illegal and is a very infrequent issue.

The point I was making is that the way the rule is enforced in this particular situation does not lessen the chance of low hits on the QB. Since the RB's cut block is what caused the low hits, the refs calling a penalty on Milano is meaningless. 

They should update the rule to lessen the chance of low hits on the QB. Take out cut blocks behind the LOS and it lessens the chance of low hits on the QB.

Debating one way or the other on the current enforcement is not as interesting as proposing solutions.

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The point I was making is that the way the rule is enforced in this particular situation does not lessen the chance of low hits on the QB. Since the RB's cut block is what caused the low hits, the refs calling a penalty on Milano is meaningless. 

They should update the rule to lessen the chance of low hits on the QB. Take out cut blocks behind the LOS and it lessens the chance of low hits on the QB.

Debating one way or the other on the current enforcement is not as interesting as proposing solutions.

Bolded isn't going to happen. It's a totally legal and singularly effective block if executed correctly. What you could look at (if your intent was eliminating Milano's particular scenario, and personally I didn't have much of a problem with either the play or the call tbh, just bad luck) is make it illegal for RB/FB to perform the block as they're the ones usually picking up LBs or DBs on blitz who would be flying into the QB low if they get blocked low. 

Can't take cut blocks away from olinemen as it's often used to access quick throwing lanes, screens etc...important part of their arsenal.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I don’t disagree with that - I would love to see the cut block eliminated just about everywhere for safety, but it has real uses.

The only other thing that I would say is maybe after the penalty- Milano attacks that blitz differently.  Maybe instead of the full tilt attack - that opened him up to the hit.  He rushes a bit more under control to jump or better avoid the RB - lessening the chance he ends up flying through the air and landing there.  

In this case it was a double whammy - he took a nasty tumble and got flagged.  If it was just the hit, but he got to hit the QB with no penalty - then the players are more likely to dive that way opening themselves, the QBs, and the blockers up to more potential big hits and injury.

I feel bad for Milano because I was obvious that he was just the victim of the circumstance and the play was not dirty in any way, but I can also understand still calling it a foul to protect the player.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Bolded isn't going to happen. It's a totally legal and singularly effective block if executed correctly. What you could look at (if your intent was eliminating Milano's particular scenario, and personally I didn't have much of a problem with either the play or the call tbh, just bad luck) is make it illegal for RB/FB to perform the block as they're the ones usually picking up LBs or DBs on blitz who would be flying into the QB low if they get blocked low. 

Can't take cut blocks away from olinemen as it's often used to access quick throwing lanes, screens etc...important part of their arsenal.

Behind the LOS.

So OL cut blocks at and ahead of the LOS would be fine. 

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How far behind? This is Solder freeing up the throwing lane to Amendola a couple yards behind LOS-

LinearPositiveAquaticleech-size_restrict

That's what I'm envisioning as a typical legal at-the-LOS cut block. All cut blocks on a run play or a QB scrambling outside the pocket would be fine, too.

Pretty much anything outside the pocket. But the more specific they can make these rules, the better.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

That's what I'm envisioning as a typical legal at-the-LOS cut block. All cut blocks on a run play or a QB scrambling outside the pocket would be fine, too.

Pretty much anything outside the pocket. But the more specific they can make these rules, the better.

So only allow them to cut block outside the tackles, at LOS (or within a yard or two?) I kind of like that idea re: player safety and injury risk tbh

The issue wrt the Milano play is no LB coming through the line is ever going to deliberately leave his feet to avoid the cut block by the RB...there's too much injury risk trying to dodge around or jump over a guy blocking you low when you're surrounded by linemen engaged and all your momentum is forward into the backfield. 100% of the time you're looking to keep your base and blow up the RB if he blocks you straight up or if he goes low you just let your momentum carry you through the pile. The onus can't be on the LB to try to avoid flying into the QB if he gets chopped imo

13 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

So for whatever reason, I haven't seen this discussed.  I found this to be one of the wildest roughing the passer penalties I have ever seen.  

My question is this: Is there an intent element to these penalties?  If not, should there be?  

I mean, imagine for a moment an offensive lineman throws his guy into the quarterbacks knees.  Would the rusher still get a penalty? I feel like this is essentially what happened to Milano.  I understand accidents--such as your free hand striking a quarterbacks head--but this was more than an accident, Milano did a complete flip. This was completely unavoidable on his part.    

Refs have too many rules to follow and are suffering from over reactionism.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The "encroachment" call in the red zone made me a bit more furious to be honest.

Was that the one where TWO Titans lined up next to eachother both false started, and Murphy (?) was flagged? I was much more furious about that than the Milano PF. Same with the blantant hold on the edge that helped spring Henry for a 20+ yard run. Those plays were literally right in front of the officials, yet they "missed" them. Same with a facemask to Allen non call. 

What it boils down to is it only matters how the QB is affected in the roughing penalty.  How he got affected that way does not matter in the least.  Milano hit Mariota low.  That's a penalty.  I suppose if Milano had been blocked into him, there might be case for appealing the ruling (or complaining about it since there is no appeal.  In this case, Milano was blocked low and his momentum carried him to Mariota's feet.  Does not matter.  Go to the rules committee and make you case that the rule should be written, but as the rule is written, it was correctly enforced.