Bye Week Musings About the NFL at Large

5 weeks, just over a quarter of the way through the season, is a decent time to start really seeing how the NFL is shaping up in 2019. What are your non-bills thoughts through 5 so far? Whose your pretenders and contenders, who do you see winning MVP? Whose been the biggest surprise (positive or negative)? What's a counter-narrative thought you had before the season that so far seems true or false (i.e.: the Browns being overhyped).

I got to thinking about this as a result of watching the highlights of last nights game and being left wondering if the 9ers might be a legit contender this year...?

probably more tanking/rancid teams this year than usual

not a 1980 season when it was totally wide open for the SB,

more like the year when the Rams/Titans emerged from nowhere to the SB because there wasn't a clear-cut top team that dominated.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Cleveland has to be this years biggest disappointment...

Kitchens is in over his head and the leadership from the owner on down is non-existent.  They will finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs.

what the heck was there this insistence that the Browns would dominate?

don't they have to show at least a season of mid-level mediocrity first?

keep on dreaming

• Like (+1) 2

On to the bye week! Please, nobody be a knucklehead with a little freedom. I think this team has less chance of that than most previous teams. 

I watched the recording of the Titans game last night. A lot of calls and bounces went our way. That was much closer to a different outcome than I realized live. Part of that is a young team learning to win, which I obviously love. And part is just plain luck. 

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Kitchens is in over his head and the leadership from the owner on down is non-existent.  They will finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs.

Cleveland not dead yet, their schedule really easy after the Bills game 

Just now, Seasons1992 said:

Don't sleep on the Colts.

been winning with them a tn this year on the moneyline...( nat last week though:wallbash:)..I am also surprised at how ell the Raiders are doing..

Big surprise also for me is the Dolphins have competition for the #1 pick

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Browns were a sexy pick but anyone who looked at their o line knew they were going to struggle. That coaching staff is weak and they fell for names over substance. 

If they want to win, they need to do what the Bills did this year and load up on any offensive lineman that has started a game and work it out in camp

12 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The Chargers are my biggest surprise as an overwhelming disappointment. They have the soldiers, but when the battle starts, they cower in the trenches 

The least to show historically for the talent that has gone through that franchise.... 

• Like (+1) 2

Every year around this time I find that people begin to think the picture is shaping up, when in reality it’s not shaping up at all. 

In my opinion, it’s around Thanksgiving (week 12-13) time that things start to clear up and you can see the playing field directly affected by week to week results.  Think of the time of year when 6-6 teams are upsetting 8-4 teams, and teams that started off well above .500 are hitting their third loss in a row while teams that started well below .500 are hitting their 4th win in a row. 

As for now, the only thing that’s for certain is that someone with a hot start (Bills, 49ers, Raiders, Ravens) are going to fall flat, while someone with a slow start (Chargers, Giants, Buccaneers, Browns, Steelers, Falcons) are really going to turn up the heat. 

Same goes for players, some MVP candidate is going to really slow down (CMac, Russell Wilson?) while someone is going to really come out of nowhere (Josh Allen, Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers?). 

• Like (+1) 2

Mahomes looks human

The Lions, Colts and 49ers are all much better than expected 

Teddy Bridgewater is one of the best stories in the NFL today

The top ten of the draft will be full of teams who could have the number 1 overall pick most other years.

Jets are throwing away Darnold's cheap years on Adam Gase. He is a horrible coach and a terrible leader and continues to prove it 

• Like (+1) 5

For all of the Lamar for MVP talk after the first couple of weeks he has fallen back to earth. Gase and the Jets are the biggest dumpster fire on the block, more so than Cleveland imo. The Jets were supposed to challenge for the division. Riiiiiiight. As another poster already noted, Kitchens surely looks like he is in over his head and not cut out to be a HC. The Lions have surprised me. I expected them to be a 5-11 or 6-10 team, but they are playing better than that as of right now. The biggest surprise is the Raiders. With all of the turmoil through TC and the preseason, the injuries, I thought they would be one of the worst teams in the NFL. To be 3-2 at this point is shocking to me.  

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

5 weeks, just over a quarter of the way through the season, is a decent time to start really seeing how the NFL is shaping up in 2019. What are your non-bills thoughts through 5 so far? Whose your pretenders and contenders, who do you see winning MVP? Whose been the biggest surprise (positive or negative)? What's a counter-narrative thought you had before the season that so far seems true or false (i.e.: the Browns being overhyped).

I got to thinking about this as a result of watching the highlights of last nights game and being left wondering if the 9ers might be a legit contender this year...?

Niners I think have to be seen as a legit contender, they really have done a nice job rebuilding that defense.  I still think here are some questions about the pass offense come playoff time if they have to face one of those NFC stout defenses.  That being said, they have still looked great so far and we will find out just how strong they are when they play the Rams this week and also face the Saints, Packers, Seahawks and Rams again too later this season.

It seems like there are way more godawful teams than usual.  Dolphins, Broncos, Bengals, Cards, Giants, Skins all look putrid.  I'm not including the Jets in there because they'll get Darnold back and I'm assuming the Steelers and Falcons will get things sorted out, but there's a really large pool of bottom-feeders this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

It seems like there are way more godawful teams than usual.  Dolphins, Broncos, Bengals, Cards, Giants, Skins all look putrid.  I'm not including the Jets in there because they'll get Darnold back and I'm assuming the Steelers and Falcons will get things sorted out, but there's a really large pool of bottom-feeders this year.

I don’t think the Falcons get things figured out. Their D is horrible. Really horrible. The Steelers looked pretty mediocre with Mason Rudolph under center. I don’t see them looking better as he goes through, what should be, a lengthy concussion protocol.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Mahomes looks human

The Lions, Colts and 49ers are all much better than expected 

Teddy Bridgewater is one of the best stories in the NFL today

The top ten of the draft will be full of teams who could have the number 1 overall pick most other years.

Jets are throwing away Darnold's cheap years on Adam Gase. He is a horrible coach and a terrible leader and continues to prove it 

Mahomes is not human. His line is decimated and they are missing some serious firepower. I would take him over any QB in the league and 2nd choice isn't even close.

• Like (+1) 3