There Always Seems to Be One Bill Everybody Hates on Annually

Irv

5 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Who is in the on deck circle for the hate?

I think it's gonna be the guy that wears the white helmet. 

In the case of Zay he lost everyone. Even a fan like myself who sees the flash and wants it to become the regular norm. 

Who I think McDermott values more for locker room leadership than on field production is DiMarco and Lee Smith. Lee has a good game against Tenn, he had a couple nice blocks to go along with the catch. My hope is that as McDermott’s tenure grows the home grown leaders who also have talent will accumulate. Beane and McDermott will find complimentary players with talent who are also good people. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

No, the ridiculous comment is complaining about a player's contract when said contract isn't preventing the team from doing anything it wants to do -- and the player is contributing.

It's actually not ridiculous when the poster (me) just has a different thought.  I never once said the contract is stopping the team from doing anything - you added that.  In fact, I more than once said his contract isn't.  I'm not sure why you keep doing that.  

Saying the only posters that can comment about a players contract are those that are paying the salary, is in fact ridiculous. 

No doubt it is a function of draft status and/or contract with a component of injury history. Then add a missed opportunity or mistake in the worst moments

Murphy - limited production and big contract

DiMarco - useless position and big contract

Zay - wasted draft picks

Kroft - known injury history

Star - percieved lack of production ( not true) and contract

McKelvin - fumbled kick return

Stevie - the drop

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Lets guess.

Tent Murphy, DiMarco (he is on my list after that punt fiasco vs New England), Tyler Kroft.  Lee Smith would have been on that list but his TD and his team first philosophy have saved him.

DiMarco, it’s all yours now!

And allow me to pile on: I don’t hate the guy. I actually thought he was an ok signing before 2018. But has he ever done anything notable (other than having a Peterman pass bounce off his chest for the first of many Nate interceptions) in a Bills uniform? I know he’s primarily a blocking back, but last night I saw the Niners FB with the unpronounceable name throw more memorable blocks in one game than DiMarco’s thrown in about 20. Same with Develin for the Pats in the Super Bowl. He’s just there, and he gets enough snaps that McD must see him doing something good, but it’s invisible. Someone please post a clip of that big Patty D block I must have missed while I was distracted by Lee Smith holding ....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No he is using him right about right as a runner. He should not be anyone's second back. And as soon as Singletary is healthy he won't be. 

Because he fumbled once?  By that logic he would never design a single run play for Allen.  Because he averaged 4+ a carry on only 10 carries?  

Yes Singletary will replace him, whenever he can get back on the field.  He lasted 3 games and 10 carries as a rookie so far.  

To be the official whipping boy, you have to meet certain criteria:

- the perception that you suck. Think Vlad Ducasse. You’ll never advance to this level if your performance is objectively decent. Sucking is necessary but NOT sufficient. See Conor McDermott. 

- the perception that you are blocking the advancement/playing time of somebody better. This is the Zay situation. There’s always a Duke Williams in the wings. 

- the perception that you’re overpaid, or that you’re not living up to your draft position There’s a fine line between, say, Tommy Sweeney and Patrick DiMarco, but when you’re a minimum contract 7th rounder you’re a grinder and a blue collar/lunch pail guy. Then you get a decent contract and you’re trash. But then sometimes you’re cut by someone and back struggling to make a roster and you become that lunch pail guy all over again. See Lee Smith. 

This isn’t random. There’s rules here! No jumping the queue, T.J. Yeldon! You need more than one fumble lost to advance to this status. 

8 hours ago, Irv said:

There always seems to be one that we ('ol Irv included) Bills fans pile on the hate.  Beast Mode, Byrd, Gillmore, Dareus, Benjamin, and lately Zay.  All got run.  I wonder if other teams fans have a similar situation every year. 

They did it to themselves.

36 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

did not read the whole thread. only responding the OP. My take is that there is always a player the fans can analyze better than mcdermott who develops some sort of blind spot .  Peteman and Zay Jones are two. 

You missed out.  The responses were compelling.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Irv said:

There always seems to be one that we ('ol Irv included) Bills fans pile on the hate.  Beast Mode, Byrd, Gillmore, Dareus, Benjamin, and lately Zay.  All got run.  I wonder if other teams fans have a similar situation every year. 

Just one?

10 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeldon, Dawkins, Ford are my top 3 guesses

Strong candidates but I think Dawkins is the leader for the moment. The other two haven’t been with the team long enough to create a strong enough reaction. Yet.