Article: Forbes article on Duke Williams

38 minutes ago, MJS said:

Doesn't matter how you slice it. He isn't a fast receiver. The article said he has 4.3 speed and that's nowhere near true. I'd bet he's closer to 4.55 speed, which still isn't fast. But that's okay, because other aspects of his game can make up for that, such as physicality.

"Isn't a fast receiver" is a better description than "slow."

6 hours ago, warrior9 said:

Lol blown coverage? He beat the guy off the line and inside on a slant... on the 6 yard line......?  Explain "blown coverage" please

Sheesh. There appeared to be confusion in the coverage and I thought that was obvious. I'll have to rewatch the play so I don't make such egregious errors. I can't even compliment the guy properly!

17 hours ago, purple haze said:

He is not as slow as people think, but he's not the quickest, which is why he has to make a lot of contested catches.  One on one, DBs can stay with his routes.  Beasley, for instance, is not the fastest, but quick.  It's harder for DBs to stay on his routes, especially in tight spaces.  Not a knock on Duke, he just had to understand how to win with his skill set consistently.

He's got Jerry Rice speed.  I'll take it.

Duke Williams can play some football! If there are any questions on his ability, hands, size or speed, just watch his CFL highlights on You Tube! He’s a human highlight film!

Whether college, the CFL or the NFL this man can play the game very well! Yes he was released from Auburn for a bar fight and had a bad attitude! He’s turned it all around and has gained the total respect of his teammates and so it will be the league! Watch the You Tube highlight film! Had his attitude been different in college he would have been a high draft choice. Kudo’s to the Bills and GM Beane for doing their homework on this guy! 

Duke ran a good pattern to beat the DB but I would like to see more of his route tree beyond slants, that have been almost all of his targets and that obviously he can run. Boldin wasn't fast but was open a lot because he was a smart route runner and a reliable target because of his physicality and hands. As to receiver type Boldin should be William's prototype. Look forward to seeing how the chemistry with Allen develops. If it does, he should enjoy some success. If it doesn't he won't stick. I think he's got a shot. He's a big target and Allen could come to rely on him in the red zone and third down conversions. I suspect he will be taking targets away from Sweeney in addition to Zay's. 

20 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Canadian receiver rules. Running start.

and an insane lack of enforcement of the concept of offside with every skill player eligible to be in motion

I don't know who knows about this, but there was a poster in one of the other Duke threads at the end of the preseason who alluded to a bunch of physical problems/injuries Duke had right around the Combine that affected his combine numbers negatively.

If that poster is reading this I hope he/she can enlighten us on those issues.

I'm curious because if you look up some of his stuff going back as far back as High School, there are some references to a 4.3 40 time.

One myth has pretty clearly been debunked already:

Duke is NOT too slow to play WR in the NFL and should NOT be converted to TE.

20 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Sheesh. There appeared to be confusion in the coverage and I thought that was obvious. I'll have to rewatch the play so I don't make such egregious errors. I can't even compliment the guy properly!

Duke had his defender beat within three to four steps off the line of scrimmage, used his body to block any attempt by the defender to break up the pass, which by the way was perfect. The footage is on U tube. I did not see any confusion at the line of scrimmage by the opposing D.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

23 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Better physical and mental shape. He tanked at the combine, and by the time the draft came around, he was a pariah. 4.3 does seem faster than one would expect. But, in all likelihood, he should probably be considered of average speed. Zay clocked a 4.45 at his combine, which didn't raise any eyebrows. I would be interested to see what his top speed actually is, which I don't believe anyone really knows. But, before his character issues, his school expulsion, and tanked combine, he was considered a top prospect. If 4.3 seems unlikely, it seems more unlikely that he had achieved that much hype while being "slow."

He was a top HS recruit because he was 6'2 220 and manhandled corners

He most certainly was never a burner or ran a 4.3.. he was a physical receiver who won with size and strength not speed

On 10/8/2019 at 1:20 PM, Rocky Landing said:

He ran a slow 40 time at the 2015 Combine. It was over four months after he had been thrown out of Auburn for a bar fight, among other transgressions. He hadn't worked out, or practiced a snap of football in that time, and he was spiraling into depression. That combine has followed him ever since, including onto these boards.

So you think he’s among the fastest wide receivers (really fastest players) in the league with 4.3 speed?

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Duke had his defender beat within three to four steps off the line of scrimmage, used his body to block any attempt by the defender to break up the pass, which by the way was perfect. The footage is on U tube. I did not see any confusion at the line of scrimmage by the opposing D.

Go Bills!!!

OK. So I rewatched it and it's a bit of both. Corner may have expected inside help and the safety was just standing there looking at the LOS. Either way, he used his body weight perfectly and had a nice, sharp, inside cut for such a big dude. 

I saw a lot of good things. I'm not all aboard the Duke train, but I love the energy he brings. 

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

So you think he’s among the fastest wide receivers (really fastest players) in the league with 4.3 speed?

No. I don't think he has 4.3 speed.

My only point is that he is faster than his 4.66 showing at his combine would indicate. That combine, in which he tanked, has followed him more than his expulsion from Auburn, IMO. He gets knocked for being "slow," and "not able to get separation. To my eyes, he is of average speed for a WR. And, the knock that he "can't get separation" is just plain wrong.

On 10/8/2019 at 12:10 PM, HalftimeAdjustment said:

So, let's assume that he could have run faster than 4.66. Isn't it realistic to estimate 4.5-4.55 in better shape? 4.3 seems way too fast.

Yes, I agree. Zay Jones speed.

Edited by Rocky Landing