Article: Forbes article on Duke Williams

28 minutes ago, Speedy Beebe said:

I figured that was the case. I noticed that from the link you supplied he’s 6’2”. The Bills website lists him as 6’3”. So either he’s grown since college or it’s more fake news. 

There's no such thing as fake news... this goes on a lot and has for decades now... players' heights are +/- 1" sometimes.

How'd that work with Williams anyway.  He signed a contract back in Jan article stated his salary was a little under $400k.  When he got cut and then sent to the practice squad, I assume he made much less, standard PS money.  When called up, does he revert back to the original contract, or did the Bills write him a new deal?

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. Had he run a 4.3 either at a pro day or the combine, he would have likely been a first round pick. He went UNDRAFTED. Something lost in the story is that he was/is not some physical specimen shunned for character issues. NFL team's just didn't think he was particularly talented.

I'm not sure how long he'll last, but that energy goes a long way. He's the antithesis of Zay WRT confidence and "swag." Not sure what happened with Zay, but it was nice to get SOMETHING back for what turned out to be a poor pick.

I'm just going to sit back and see what he does going forward. Didn't expect anything in game one, so I'd love to see him continue to bring the energy and continue to make plays. He LOOKS like a TE playing receiver, but he PRODUCED. Even saw him create separation a few times besides the blown coverage TD. At the end of the day, production is all that matters. Great story.

Lol blown coverage? He beat the guy off the line and inside on a slant... on the 6 yard line......?  Explain "blown coverage" please

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2019 Rookie Minimum Salary: $495,000
So weekly pay if on 53 man roster: $29,117.64

http://footballnextlevel.com/tag/2019-practice-squad-pay/

17 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

NFL rookie minimum is like $540k.  I think the Colts are paying CK a little above that to be on their PS and the Jags are paying Minischew the minimum to play.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Speedy Beebe said:

“With his strong arm, Allen has a tendency overthrow his receivers when he sends them long. With Williams’ height, leaping ability and 4.3 speed, that will be harder to do. He could be the prototypical No. 1 receiver that fans have been asking for.”

I had no idea that he ran a 4.3. Hmm

Wait a minute....Duke doesnt run no 4.3

I like Williams' edge he plays with.  He brings a different element to the passing attack.  I thought Jones was primed for a big year.  Maybe, Williams makes the most of his playing time and produces the way I thought Jones would.  Seems like Foster has battled injuries all year.  Him healthy adds some extra juice to the passing attack as well.

24 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Lol blown coverage? He beat the guy off the line and inside on a slant... on the 6 yard line......?  Explain "blown coverage" please

It's possible that he meant the safety bit hard on the play action fake, which he did, otherwise he would have been in the lane that the pass traveled through so easily to Duke. That's not really blown coverage as much as good execution by the Bills.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

He doesn't.

It IS true. He ran a slow 40 time. He makes up for it in other aspects of his game.

He ran a slow 40 time at the 2015 Combine. It was over four months after he had been thrown out of Auburn for a bar fight, among other transgressions. He hadn't worked out, or practiced a snap of football in that time, and he was spiraling into depression. That combine has followed him ever since, including onto these boards.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good article and you're right, author does seem to know the team.

Only thing I wonder about is the part where he says " With Williams’ height, leaping ability and 4.3 speed, that will be harder to do "

When did Duke Williams show that kind of speed?

Canadian receiver rules. Running start.

49 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

He ran a slow 40 time at the 2015 Combine. It was over four months after he had been thrown out of Auburn for a bar fight, among other transgressions. He hadn't worked out, or practiced a snap of football in that time, and he was spiraling into depression. That combine has followed him ever since, including onto these boards.

So, let's assume that he could have run faster than 4.66. Isn't it realistic to estimate 4.5-4.55 in better shape? 4.3 seems way too fast.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

How'd that work with Williams anyway.  He signed a contract back in Jan article stated his salary was a little under $400k.  When he got cut and then sent to the practice squad, I assume he made much less, standard PS money.  When called up, does he revert back to the original contract, or did the Bills write him a new deal?

The standard practice squad $$ are a minimum.  There is no maximum.  That could have been part of Duke's deal with the team, "if we cut you and sign you to PS, we'll keep paying you the same salary"  Or not - between Duke and the team.

The Patriots are noted for paying their PS players significantly more than PS minimum

25 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

So, let's assume that he could have run faster than 4.66. Isn't it realistic to estimate 4.5-4.55 in better shape? 4.3 seems way too fast.

Better physical and mental shape. He tanked at the combine, and by the time the draft came around, he was a pariah. 4.3 does seem faster than one would expect. But, in all likelihood, he should probably be considered of average speed. Zay clocked a 4.45 at his combine, which didn't raise any eyebrows. I would be interested to see what his top speed actually is, which I don't believe anyone really knows. But, before his character issues, his school expulsion, and tanked combine, he was considered a top prospect. If 4.3 seems unlikely, it seems more unlikely that he had achieved that much hype while being "slow."

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Doesn't matter how you slice it. He isn't a fast receiver. The article said he has 4.3 speed and that's nowhere near true. I'd bet he's closer to 4.55 speed, which still isn't fast. But that's okay, because other aspects of his game can make up for that, such as physicality.

• Like (+1) 1