Article: Forbes article on Duke Williams

20 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The author - Curtis Rush - used to cover the Bills for the Toronto Star.  Is it possible he knows something about Duke's 40 time that we don't know? 

At his pro day, Duke ran between 4.66 and 4.69.   Maybe I'm wrong but he doesn't seem that slow.  Then again he doesn't seem to be 4.3 fast either.  

Incidentally, I found this in a 2016 draft report:

SOURCES TELL US

"I can tell you that he burned all of his bridges over there (Auburn). He's a selfish, me­-first guy and I don't think he's trustworthy in the locker room at all. He didn't compete at all this year. I wouldn't draft him in any round." -- NFC Director of Personnel

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dhaquille-williams?id=2555210

Clearly, this is a guy who turned his life around.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Strong route by Duke for the TD with good hand usage. If he can continue to get open like this in the red zone and use his body to give Allen a nice target, he might be a nice weapon.

Good post.  When I watched this live, I thought it was a good play call by Daboll and a good throw by Josh.  I didn't give Duke much credit - but it actually was a nice route.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Curiously, despite all their concerns about his character, effort and speed, NFL.com rated Duke (5.25) only slightly lower than Zay (5.71) out of college.

Listening to Duke talk - and his teammates talk about him - it does indeed seem like he's turned his life around.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The author - Curtis Rush - used to cover the Bills for the Toronto Star.  Is it possible he knows something about Duke's 40 time that we don't know? 

At his pro day (not combine), Duke ran between 4.66 and 4.69.   Maybe I'm wrong but he doesn't seem that slow.  Then again he doesn't seem to be 4.3 fast either.  

Incidentally, I found this in a 2016 draft report:

SOURCES TELL US

"I can tell you that he burned all of his bridges over there (Auburn). He's a selfish, me­-first guy and I don't think he's trustworthy in the locker room at all. He didn't compete at all this year. I wouldn't draft him in any round." -- NFC Director of Personnel

Yep- sounds like a total redemption case. Let’s hope. WR is the weakest position group imo. 

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

In one way he reminds me of Incognito - he stumbled & fell and the Bills took a chance on him, supported him and he did well until Richie now admits he slid back to his old bad habits.  I really hope Duke does not slide but I think he has embraced Coach McD's philosophy of sell improvement.

I do not think he was invited to combine so I think that is his college reported speed.  

Now we all know CFL fields are bigger so it may be he has gotten even faster with all the practice running around on it.

8 hours ago, Speedy Beebe said:

“With his strong arm, Allen has a tendency overthrow his receivers when he sends them long. With Williams’ height, leaping ability and 4.3 speed, that will be harder to do. He could be the prototypical No. 1 receiver that fans have been asking for.”

I had no idea that he ran a 4.3. Hmm

He doesn't.

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I literally had just copied that, and was about to paste it!

There is a constant knock on Williams that he is slow. It's not true.

He was invited to the combine, and posted a 4.66 40 time. He had also been thrown out of Auburn four months prior for getting into a bar brawl. He had not worked out, or played a snap of football in that four months.

It IS true. He ran a slow 40 time. He makes up for it in other aspects of his game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bring it said:

When you really consider it, how much different is a 4.3 from a 4.66? Obviously, .4 seconds in 40 yards. Not much really. How many times does a Qb get 3 and a half seconds to throw considering flight time of the ball?  It’s much more important to have good route running techniques and great hands!! Duke’s size and physicality are a help too! He looks like a baller to me!!!

It's actually a noticeable difference when you watch them.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

More like he just grew up. These are kids in college walking onto campus as stars. Some just think I'm the man, and don't put in the work needed to succeed. When that's all taken from you can be rather humbling experience I would guess. Heard he was crying when walked out on the field this past game knowing that he finally made it back. Crazy that he was able to pull in a TD to and contribute too. Sky is the limit for this kid. I'm rooting for him! Mcdermott process guy for sure! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/curtisrush/2019/10/07/duke-williams-may-be-the-answer-to-buffalo-bills-stagnant-passing-attack/#6163bbed47b7

Lots of history there and he seems to know the Buffalo fandom with comments that the WRs are called Smurfs.

Duke Williams May Be The Answer To Buffalo Bills’ Stagnant Passing Attack

Duke "The Answer" Williams?  Pretty good and I think not used before.

Stay hungry Duke!!

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

He doesn't.

It IS true. He ran a slow 40 time. He makes up for it in other aspects of his game.

Yeah I definitely was skeptical about the authors listed 40 time. I figured if he was really a 4.3 guy he would have been a high draft pick. I’m curious where he got his info from or if he just made it up. Either way I’m super happy for Duke. He’s earned his shot.

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/curtisrush/2019/10/07/duke-williams-may-be-the-answer-to-buffalo-bills-stagnant-passing-attack/#6163bbed47b7

Lots of history there and he seems to know the Buffalo fandom with comments that the WRs are called Smurfs.

Duke Williams May Be The Answer To Buffalo Bills’ Stagnant Passing Attack

Duke "The Answer" Williams?  Pretty good and I think not used before.

Good article and you're right, author does seem to know the team.

Only thing I wonder about is the part where he says " With Williams’ height, leaping ability and 4.3 speed, that will be harder to do "

When did Duke Williams show that kind of speed?

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. Had he run a 4.3 either at a pro day or the combine, he would have likely been a first round pick. He went UNDRAFTED. Something lost in the story is that he was/is not some physical specimen shunned for character issues. NFL team's just didn't think he was particularly talented.

I'm not sure how long he'll last, but that energy goes a long way. He's the antithesis of Zay WRT confidence and "swag." Not sure what happened with Zay, but it was nice to get SOMETHING back for what turned out to be a poor pick.

I'm just going to sit back and see what he does going forward. Didn't expect anything in game one, so I'd love to see him continue to bring the energy and continue to make plays. He LOOKS like a TE playing receiver, but he PRODUCED. Even saw him create separation a few times besides the blown coverage TD. At the end of the day, production is all that matters. Great story.

That is not exactly true. There were plenty of draft prognosticators that stated he had the talent to be a first or second day pick; however, character issues would probably drop his stock.

ESPN: 1. D'haquille Williams, Auburn Tigers Not nearly as raw a route runner as you might expect in his first SEC season coming out of junior college, Williams was moved around and was able to win with strong hands and a big frame he uses to keep defenders away from the ball. If he cleans up the drops, there's first-round potential.

WalterFootball: 4/26/16: Prior to the season, we reported that sources had said that they had significant character and off-the-field concerns with Williams, but likened him as a player to Anquan Boldin. Those issues came to a head when Williams was kicked off Auburn's football team after Week 5 of the season... Williams has the talent to be a second-day draft pick, but going undrafted because of character concerns is a real possibility. 

There were other evaluations that were similar to those above and there were some evaluations that were more harsh regarding his talent; however, to say he wasn't perceived to be particularly talented and wasn't shunned for character issues is simply not true.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good article and you're right, author does seem to know the team.

Only thing I wonder about is the part where he says " With Williams’ height, leaping ability and 4.3 speed, that will be harder to do "

When did Duke Williams show that kind of speed?

I don't believe he ever did. I believe one of knocks on him coming out of college was his slow 40 time.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

In one way he reminds me of Incognito - he stumbled & fell and the Bills took a chance on him, supported him and he did well until Richie now admits he slid back to his old bad habits.  I really hope Duke does not slide but I think he has embraced Coach McD's philosophy of sell improvement.

I do not think he was invited to combine so I think that is his college reported speed.  

Now we all know CFL fields are bigger so it may be he has gotten even faster with all the practice running around on it.

He was invited to a pro day at Auburn by his coach.  Clocked a 4.66 and 4.69 40-time.  He has said that he had spiralled down after he was kicked off the team and wasn't in shape for it.

It's possible he clocked a faster 40 time somewhere in the CFL?  But he doesn't look fast.

Now Josh Allen clocked a 4.75s 40 time but he looks waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy faster than that in pads.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was invited to a pro day at Auburn by his coach.  He has said that he had spiralled down after he was kicked off the team and wasn't in shape for it.

It's possible he clocked a faster 40 time somewhere in the CFL?  But he doesn't look fast.

No he doesn't look fast but the combine times are a bit dubious when the margin of error is in the tenths of second.

9 hours ago, Speedy Beebe said:

“With his strong arm, Allen has a tendency overthrow his receivers when he sends them long. With Williams’ height, leaping ability and 4.3 speed, that will be harder to do. He could be the prototypical No. 1 receiver that fans have been asking for.”

I had no idea that he ran a 4.3. Hmm

Fake news.   He's more like a 4.7...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Dopey said:

Spotrac says 378 k this year. Maybe not the Vet minimum? Next year is over 500k

Vet minimums are for "vets".  Duke is under a UDFA minimum contract (I believe its 495k).

His 378k reflect the remaining games left in the season plus some PS $'s.

fwiw

• Thank you (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Fake news.   He's more like a 4.7...

I figured that was the case. I noticed that from the link you supplied he’s 6’2”. The Bills website lists him as 6’3”. So either he’s grown since college or it’s more fake news.