Zay Jones traded to Raiders for 5th rounder

HappyDays

It was posted yesterday or after the game, that Jones was going to be traded at the start of the year.  I think it was a combination of not enough in return and Foster battling through injury.  I expected Jones to have a big year.  Didnt happen.  Williams brought some extra juice to the team and offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Yes, it was discussed earlier in the thread. Until this thread I never knew Zay's father was ever a twitter weirdo. I'm so happy I miss most of this crap.

I suspect Dad is in Zay's head. Not a good thing.

Funny, there are certain posters who will insist I personally hate Zay all because I defend my criticisms of him when they attacked me for it...but I don't hate him and think he seems like a good overall person and teammate.  I just hated what he did on the field.  Just like I don't hate Fitzpatrick, but hated the contract we gave him and didn't like him as a starter for the Bills.

So I do hope this change of scenery helps him rebound his career.  I do think the Raiders offense is a better fit for him than what Daboll was trying to do, and maybe he can regain confidence and build some better chemistry with Carr.  

I was a fan of drafting him (even though I preferred JuJu as I live in LA and was high on him, but wasn't upset they took Zay after he set records in college either) and was rooting for him early.  He fell out of favor with me as a player when I kept seeing him fail to make plays.  No WR makes every tough catch, but also no solid or better WR fails to make just about every tough catch.  He never seemed to have the mental toughness to get through the ups and downs.  

But like I said in my original Zay thread, I would rather be wrong about him than right as it would have been good for the Bills.  I doubted his ability to prove the criticisms wrong, but would have rather seen him excel than struggle.  But he failed to establish a role for himself here this year and now he will get a chance to go to a team with a big need at WR and get a legit shot to reboot himself there.  

Best of luck to Zay, this was the best move for both the Bills and Zay.  

• Like (+1) 8

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Funny, there are certain posters who will insist I personally hate Zay all because I defend my criticisms of him when they attacked me for it...but I don't hate him and think he seems like a good overall person and teammate.  I just hated what he did on the field.  Just like I don't hate Fitzpatrick, but hated the contract we gave him and didn't like him as a starter for the Bills.

So I do hope this change of scenery helps him rebound his career.  I do think the Raiders offense is a better fit for him than what Daboll was trying to do, and maybe he can regain confidence and build some better chemistry with Carr.  

I was a fan of drafting him (even though I preferred JuJu as I live in LA and was high on him, but wasn't upset they took Zay after he set records in college either) and was rooting for him early.  He fell out of favor with me as a player when I kept seeing him fail to make plays.  No WR makes every tough catch, but also no solid or better WR fails to make just about every tough catch.  He never seemed to have the mental toughness to get through the ups and downs.  

But like I said in my original Zay thread, I would rather be wrong about him than right as it would have been good for the Bills.  I doubted his ability to prove the criticisms wrong, but would have rather seen him excel than struggle.  But he failed to establish a role for himself here this year and now he will get a chance to go to a team with a big need at WR and get a legit shot to reboot himself there.  

Best of luck to Zay, this was the best move for both the Bills and Zay.  

Exactly. Just like I didn't hate Tyr...

No I can't do it. I did. Every time he ran round in circles rather than throwing the damn ball I cursed him out loud enough to wake the neighbours. I hated Tyrod. I hate that I haven't unfollowed his instagram too so he can still spam me with bible verses to justify the fact there are 9 year old kids that would be better rhythm passers. 

• Haha (+1) 5

if Zay plays well in Oakland, good for him. He simply wasn't here and there was no indication he was ever going to. He simply did not work out on this Bills team. Zay is not a good outside receiver, and with the addition of Beasley you could almost see the writing on the wall for Zay.

Now the Bills hope Duke continues to perform, and fixes our lack of a Z flanker receiver. Duke is the exact type of mold of WR we want there, and he's a great and willing run blocker on the strong side of the formation. LFG Duke, we are all rooting for you, to solve our lack of WR there so we don't necessarily have to draft one high.

I'm sure McDermott would love to have the WR position solved before the draft so he can draft a DE in round 1 lol

11 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

if Zay plays well in Oakland, good for him. He simply wasn't here and there was no indication he was ever going to. He simply did not work out on this Bills team. Zay is not a good outside receiver, and with the addition of Beasley you could almost see the writing on the wall for Zay.

Now the Bills hope Duke continues to perform, and fixes our lack of a Z flanker receiver. Duke is the exact type of mold of WR we want there, and he's a great and willing run blocker on the strong side of the formation. LFG Duke, we are all rooting for you, to solve our lack of WR there so we don't necessarily have to draft one high.

I'm sure McDermott would love to have the WR position solved before the draft so he can draft a DE in round 1 lol

Agree. It is interesting to read now that Zay is better suited to play the slot and run shorter, timing routes.  I guess I never got the sense that he was elite at doing that-- but maybe he is and can develop into more of a WCO, slot-sort of guy.  

I really have no ill will toward him-- just don't think he is any good. 

• Like (+1) 1

Zay showed a bit of improvement last year, but seemed to regress this year and fell down the depth chart.    I would call him a disappointment, but not a complete bust like other receivers such as TJ Graham and James Hardy were.  

A change of scenery may do him good and the Raiders made a good trade for them given the cost.    Zay seems like a decent person and I wish him the best of luck

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

Zay showed a bit of improvement last year, but seemed to regress this year and fell down the depth chart.    I would call him a disappointment, but not a complete bust like other receivers such as TJ Graham and James Hardy were.  

A change of scenery may do him good and the Raiders made a good trade for them given the cost.    Zay seems like a decent person and I wish him the best of luck

I would say that Zay showed a "little bit" of improvement....not near what you would like to see from a year 3 guy

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I would say that Zay showed a "little bit" of improvement....not near what you would like to see from a year 3 guy

we'll never know, but wondered if he sensed the chemistry/confidence was not there with Josh and figured his days were numbered.......hope Raiders pan out for the kid.....

From ESPN.....  

With consecutive wins at the Indianapolis Colts and in London against the Chicago Bears, Jon Gruden gave the Raiders (3-2) the entire bye week off, except one player -- wide receiver Zay Jones, who was officially acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday.

"I'm gonna teach Zay Jones some plays today," a smiling Gruden said when asked how he was going to spend his bye week. "And I'm gonna come in tomorrow and teach Zay Jones some more plays."

Just now, Mike in Horseheads said:

From ESPN.....  

With consecutive wins at the Indianapolis Colts and in London against the Chicago Bears, Jon Gruden gave the Raiders (3-2) the entire bye week off, except one player -- wide receiver Zay Jones, who was officially acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday.

"I'm gonna teach Zay Jones some plays today," a smiling Gruden said when asked how he was going to spend his bye week. "And I'm gonna come in tomorrow and teach Zay Jones some more plays."

...hope it works for him....seems to have atoned for his "indiscretion".......

21 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

From ESPN.....  

Hmmm “ spider 2 Y banana ? “

• Haha (+1) 4