Zay Jones traded to Raiders for 5th rounder

HappyDays

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I forgot which GM it was (retired now) but he said in a radio interview that if you find 3 starters in a draft then you had a successful draft.

Yup, and considering 2 of the 3 are playing at Pro Bowl levels in Tre and Milano, thats an even more successful draft.  Not to mention, that draft helped us land BOTH Allen and Edmunds the next year who one is an ascending young QB and the other is already also ascending but playing near a Pro Bowl level already too in Edmunds.  

Further more, that 2017 draft also helped us land Oliver.  Having 2 first rounders in 2018 and all the extra picks Beane accumulated prevented us from having to trade a future first rounder to try and land Edmunds after we took Allen.  

People don't realize how impactful and the domino affect of that trade down in 2017 was to landing all 3 of Tre, Edmunds, and Oliver.  Today, we are fielding an elite defense because of that and still have an ascending offense with a high potential and high ceiling QB to build around.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yeah never much of a deep ball guy. I thought he could handle a Bob Woods role, but that’s the Raiders problem now. And even though I defended him vehemently for a long while, I don’t care if he averages 300 yds a game for the raiders now. It was time to move on. Maybe his issues were exacerbated by a bad scheme fit or chemistry with the QB. Don’t know. 

Foster is the next one that you wonder about. Duke didn’t just go from PS to roster. He got the second most targets of the WRs.

He leapt over McKenzie, Foster and Roberts albeit Foster is hurt.

Still open question whether Foster has stuck with the process or if he is the next target to be upgraded. 

I look at mckenzie like... a lot of his plays are gadgets.  And thats fine.  Gadget players are helpful to jumpstart an offense, and he's made a lot of plays for us.  

Roberts is a returner first so he's basically special teams only with some looks here and there on O.  

Foster really is the one who... you hope can take another step.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup, and considering 2 of the 3 are playing at Pro Bowl levels in Tre and Milano, thats an even more successful draft.  Not to mention, that draft helped us land BOTH Allen and Edmunds the next year who one is an ascending young QB and the other is already also ascending but playing near a Pro Bowl level already too in Edmunds.  

I finally got to see Edmunds live and man is he impressive to see on the field.  He stands above everyone on defense.  You'll see one helmet sticking up above everyone else's and it's got dreadlocks hanging down.  He moves so well for someone that size...I loved watching him.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Nope. Beane wasn’t referring to his playing ability, he was referring to McCarron’s phoniness as a team first kind of guy. 

Oh!  I attributed the remark coming from the Oakland GM, and that triumvirate (coach-GM-owner) strikes me as barely above Curly, Larry, and Moe.  My apologies.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I finally got to see Edmunds live and man is he impressive to see on the field.  He stands above everyone on defense.  You'll see one helmet sticking up above everyone else's and it's got dreadlocks hanging down.  He moves so well for someone that size...I loved watching him.  

Keep it in your pants. 

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I look at mckenzie like... a lot of his plays are gadgets.  And thats fine.  Gadget players are helpful to jumpstart an offense, and he's made a lot of plays for us.  

Roberts is a returner first so he's basically special teams only with some looks here and there on O.  

Foster really is the one who... you hope can take another step.

Agree with you on all all of this 

On Roberts though, I’d love to see him more involved in the offense. He’s probably the closest to elite open field runner on the team. Like the way the pats used Patterson. 

That designed run play to him was exceptionally well executed. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Thats awesome man!  Yeah, it was so crazy to see how big he was when he was hitting a beast in Henry...not many guys make Henry look smaller.

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Oh!  I attributed the remark coming from the Oakland GM, and that triumvirate (coach-GM-owner) strikes me as barely above Curly, Larry, and Moe.  My apologies.

No apologies necessary.

16 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm sure his parents will have a lot to say when he continues to suck in Oakland and ends up running around naked again.

Anybody hear from Mom? I figured she’d be here kickin’ some azz.

Come to think of it, any parting shots from Zay? Cleaning out locker pics? Stiffing his landlord? Running naked on Chippewa? ANYTHING? 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Anybody hear from Mom? I figured she’d be here kickin’ some azz.

Come to think of it, any parting shots from Zay? Cleaning out locker pics? Stiffing his landlord? Running naked on Chippewa? ANYTHING? 

I keep waiting for Jesus to chime in.  After all, Zay DOES fight for him.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Has this been discussed? I couldn’t find it, but I didn’t look too hard. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/10/zay-jones-father-believes-son-has-real-qb-now-following-trade-from-buffalo-bills.html

Slamming Josh on his way out of town

Yes, it was discussed earlier in the thread. Until this thread I never knew Zay's father was ever a twitter weirdo. I'm so happy I miss most of this crap.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

2 pages on it?  kind of a joke of a community

Here is another one, this one seems to be the most active out of the Raider boards

https://raiderforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15793&view=unread&sid=e8d0b0022fb28b911d2cff53b48ce677#unread

"I live in upstate NY and a lot of the bills fans here are pissed about it. he isnt amazing but has upside and we didnt give up *****"

I wonder who are these Bills fans that are supposedly pissed about this trade?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Here is another one, this one seems to be the most active out of the Raider boards

https://raiderforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15793&view=unread&sid=e8d0b0022fb28b911d2cff53b48ce677#unread

"I live in upstate NY and a lot of the bills fans here are pissed about it. he isnt amazing but has upside and we didnt give up *****"

I wonder who are these Bills fans that are supposedly pissed about this trade?

Fans who watch a couple games a year and see "second round pick traded for 5th round pick."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I didn't pay attention enough to Zay in the preseason to judge if he was decent. But his body of work in the last two regular seasons has been a huge disappointment for his level of pick. I was pretty angry though that Duke had a great preseason and still was disrespected and didn't make the cut. That is what bugged me about the way this regime seemed to favor Zay for no good reason. Results on the field should be everything and Zay seemed to get a free pass. Meanwhile you had a receiver in Duke who had proved himself in the CFL in Edmonton where a chunk of the season is played in very difficult cold conditions (ice and snow) but that somehow wasn't enough for the Bills.  When combined with his great preseason, Duke should have made the team and Zay should have been either traded or cut  before the season started.  In addition, Zay's mental breakdown in 2018 may have really been a much bigger factor in his inability to reach his potential.  I'm not sure if the Bills were afraid to move on from Zay after last season because they did not want to be seen as being insensitive to mental illness.

I look back at those deep throws to Zay from Josh......

I could totally be wrong...but did Josh trust Zay to actually fight for that ball if it was contested?

Yes...they could have been just poor throws...but why do deep balls to Robert Foster get thrown on the money and the ones to Zay have to be 5 yards out in front of him

Something just does not add up there

Haven't read this whole thread not sure how much it's been mentioned - I know some people think a 5th two years out is low compensation, but think the fact that it's a 5th rounder in and of itself is significant - it plays into one of Beane's main strategies to have meaningful draft pick capital to be able to make moves.  Don't think it bothers him it is two years out, since he is planning long term - and he can make more use of a 5th in two years to make potential moves than a 6th or 7th next year. 

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
17 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Haven't read this whole thread not sure how much it's been mentioned - I know some people think a 5th two years out is low compensation, but think the fact that it's a 5th rounder in and of itself is significant - it plays into one of Beane's main strategies to have meaningful draft pick capital to be able to make moves.  Don't think it bothers him it is two years out, since he is planning long term - and he can make more use of a 5th in two years to make potential moves than a 6th or 7th next year. 

I agree.  Also, good GM's turn 5th's into 4th's by trading the 5th in the current draft for a 4th in the following one.  When you are able to build depth throughout the roster and haven't mismanaged the cap, you can trade those picks higher future picks because you don't have too many holes to fill.  Beane has built this roster very well and has a ton of flexibility to keep and enhance the depth on the roster for a long time to come.