Zay Jones traded to Raiders for 5th rounder

HappyDays

19 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I look at it more like Zay Jones pushed himself off the team.  Plenty of opportunities and he didn't deliver enough in a consistent way.

Certainly, Zay showed he was incapable of being the WR they needed or wanted him to be.

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Absolutely right, Hap, on the getting cut.  However, that is a typo on my part.  Alpha actual said he would be traded.

If you hit a bullseye a few weeks later...you nailed it...you still hit a bullseye.

...if it is 2020, maybe not so much.

We differ.  If my bullseye has a time component and I don't make the time component, partial credit at best.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Certainly, Zay showed he was incapable of being the WR they needed or wanted him to be.

We differ.  If my bullseye has a time component and I don't make the time component, partial credit at best.

BTW, Hap, and Alpha knows this...I am the guy who said Zay was going to lead the Bills in receptions this year and I have now wished him luck twice since this announcement.  I am far from against the young man and was always in his corner...maybe until after last week.

There is a smidge of aggro or annoyance with you on this one and I don't know why.

I just know that Alpha ate a tremendous amount of s*** sandwiches for awhile, a bit from me to, and he gets the points on this one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

His contract expires at end of 2021 and if he signs elsewhere they could still get a comp pick for him in that draft.

Sorry, those have all been allotted to the New England Patriots through 2024.  Actually, now one pick into 2025, since you had the audacity to suggest otherwise.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've never seen Zay make this catch before.

Duke made a living off of catches like that in the CFL,not a blazer but a big strong WR that runs good routes and has good hands.

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

BTW, Hap, and Alpha knows this...I am the guy who said Zay was going to lead the Bills in receptions this year and I have now wished him luck twice since this announcement.  I am far from against the young man and was always in his corner...maybe until after last week.

There is a smidge of aggro or annoyance with you on this one and I don't know why.

I just know that Alpha ate a tremendous amount of s*** sandwiches for awhile, a bit from me to, and he gets the points on this one.

Same here.... Zay defied logic. He looked the part athleticism etc to be a good #2. Just melted into a puddle of goo at every turn. 

Oh oh well on we go. Good to have a wr with a number in the 80’s 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've never seen Zay make this catch before.

That play should be a staple of a 2019 NFL offense. Big body WR falling forward for 5-6 yards. That sets up a lot of other things. 

I thought Benjamin was going to do this last year but he was soft. If Duke can be the guy to open this play in the offense, it would be huge. It's like a run except it can turn into a big play with one fake. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Same here.... Zay defied logic. He looked the part athleticism etc to be a good #2. Just melted into a puddle of goo at every turn. 

Oh oh well on we go. Good to have a wr with a number in the 80’s 

?  Love it.

Great points, Over.  yeah, this didn't work out.  I honestly wish it did.  You don't like to miss on a second rounder.  Great practice player and only OK, at best in games.

I am also the guy when everyone was gushing over Foster's stats that agreed and listed Fosters stats and then said, "Oh wait, no, those are Zay's numbers", which were better than Fosters.

Zay just could not get a fair shake for the longest time, but then his play started to look a little bit like he didn't deserve a fair shake.  It is a shame, and again I wish him the best.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Zay proved he can play in the NFL, just not as a #1, or even a starter on a lot of teams. He has the benefit of 2+ years experience as a pro to help him compete for a roster spot. He'll be fine if he keeps working hard. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Luka said:

While this may be true, I think he also genuinely believed it to an extent. But as much as I like Brown and Beasley, they don't command double teams. It's why Josh has struggled, when the defense can play man to man and send 5 or 6 rushers it creates a pressure situation with very tight windows to throw into on top of it.

I think we’ll just agree to disagree on Beane’s perspective (I think they’re looking for it, and will be in off-season, Draft in particular). 

Regarding current situation, I totally agree. It’s a big reason I’m happy to see the steps josh has taken while not having a stud #1.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If I read the OP correctly, it's a 2021 pick, which I think is considered equivalent to a round lower in the next dra, so a fifth in 2021 would be considered equivalent to a sixth rounder in 2020, so not so "wow!" especially since the Bills spent a 2nd and a 3rd on him in 2017.  

I understand your point. my point is something for nothing tho?

I don’t dislike Zay as a person, but he certainly never found his niche here... he was a possession receiver who couldn’t catch, a deep ball artist who wasnt fast enough and couldn’t track the ball, a physical receiver who didn’t know how to use his body to make contested catches. 

If Duke continues to thrive we have a much more balanced attack. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

That play should be a staple of a 2019 NFL offense. Big body WR falling forward for 5-6 yards. That sets up a lot of other things. 

I thought Benjamin was going to do this last year but he was soft. If Duke can be the guy to open this play in the offense, it would be huge. It's like a run except it can turn into a big play with one fake. 

I don't know about a staple. Kudos for Williams making that catch but in that tight of coverage deflections that turn into interceptions happen all the time.

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Love this one

no twill will be fine but we need more talent on the field because jj nelson the softy is out and not playing as usual,zay has talent but needs an accurate passer to get him the ball

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

There is also a rumor that Coach McD was just front man for Beane and Beane made all of the picks but I think those saying that wear tin foil hats to prevent aliens from reading their thoughts.

Exactly.  Beane was employed by another NFL team.  He was not involved in Buffalos’ draft.  

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Love this one

no twill will be fine but we need more talent on the field because jj nelson the softy is out and not playing as usual,zay has talent but needs an accurate passer to get him the ball

In between muggings and car jackings, perhaps Raider Nation will appreciate Jones’ contesting for balls with opposing defensive backs.

• Haha (+1) 1