Zay Jones traded to Raiders for 5th rounder

HappyDays

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hi ?

giphy.gif

You announced this so early and then when he gets traded it takes you this long to chime in?!  What have you got another life outside this board?!  ?

You nailed it, Alpha.  Cheers to you.  You had to sense something after the Pats game, too.

as I said before, good luck to Zay, but more importantly good luck to the Duke.

EDIT:  dammit, now if Alpha says, “The Bills will trade Ed Oliver”, I have to give it proper attention!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

This times 100 

this is like a TIE.    Since it was week 5 and not week 1.  

1/2 credit to Alphadawg7   

We will give Alphadawg a solid B here for extra credit for longest non AB  thread of off-season.  and for promotion of Duke

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Peterman to Zay for a TD!!!!!

Raiders win the Super Bowl 

In the interest of total disclosure:  Peterman running on the last play of the first half, stumbles, ball takes crazy bounces into Zay’s hands.  Numerous strokes and coronaries in the venue lead Goodell to cancel the second half, declares Oakland the winner.  To appease outraged football fans everywhere, the New England Patriots are awarded compensatory draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You announced this so early and then when he gets cut it takes you this long to chime in?!  What’ve have you got another life outside this board?!  ?

He didn't get cut

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You nailed it, Alpha.  Cheers to you.  You had to sense something after the Pats game, too.

Sorry, off by 5 weeks counts as nailed, it does not.

At any rate, I've been strongly disappointed by Zay myself, but to my eyes he could play in the NFL - block and run routes and catch.   He wasn't a good WR, a #1 or #2 but he does belong on an NFL roster IMO.  

This is going to sound snarky but it's sincere: I hope I and the fans who are expressing the "good riddance" "street FA could play better" "PS guys could play better" "McKensie and Foster can play better" sentiments don't regret the move later this season if the injury bug bites our WR corps.

I like much of what I see from McDermott and Beane but I think their offensive side depth decisions aren't always on point.  RB would be an example this season so far.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He didn't get cut

At any rate, I've been strongly disappointed by Zay myself, but to my eyes he could play in the NFL - block and run routes and catch.   He wasn't a good WR, a #1 or #2 but he does belong on an NFL roster IMO.  

This is going to sound snarky but it's sincere: I hope I and the fans who are expressing the "good riddance" "street FA could play better" "PS guys could play better" "McKensie and Foster can play better" sentiments don't regret the move later this season if the injury bug bites our WR corps.

I like much of what I see from McDermott and Beane but I think their offensive side depth decisions aren't always on point.  RB would be an example this season so far.

...kid had a good collegiate career even if at a lower level.....160 catches in a season says something......he made some mistakes, appeared to have atoned for them and came back working towards his craft......unfortunately it did not work out.....NOTHING wrong with "saying good luck in Oakland and hope it works out".....absolutely loathe hating on these kids when they don't work out......

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

And there you have it

good luck to z Jones just was not going to work out here

duke pushed him right off  the team

I look at it more like Zay Jones pushed himself off the team.  Plenty of opportunities and he didn't deliver enough in a consistent way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

wow! a 5th for Zay. The wizard is wise

If I read the OP correctly, it's a 2021 pick, which I think is considered equivalent to a round lower in the next dra, so a fifth in 2021 would be considered equivalent to a sixth rounder in 2020, so not so "wow!" especially since the Bills spent a 2nd and a 3rd on him in 2017.  

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If I read the OP correctly, it's a 2021 pick, which I think is considered equivalent to a round lower in the next dra, so a fifth in 2021 would be considered equivalent to a sixth rounder in 2020, so not so "wow!" especially since the Bills spent a 2nd and a 3rd on him in 2017.  

A no brainer for Raiders if they keep him for 2 years.  His contract expires at end of 2021 and if he signs elsewhere they could still get a comp pick for him in that draft.  That would possibly make up for what they gave up for him.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

In hindsight, we shouldn’t have probably traded up for Zay and just taken JuJu or Cooper Kupp. ?

for the price, it’s a solid gamble for the Raiders. Minus trying to jump out of a window and fight his brother naked, he seems like a good dude.  And even though it was a terrible pick, good on the Bills for realizing and getting something for him before he had zero trade value.  

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He didn't get cut

Absolutely right, Hap, on the getting cut.  However, that is a typo on my part.  Alpha actual said he would be traded.

If you hit a bullseye a few weeks later...you nailed it...you still hit a bullseye.

...if it is 2020, maybe not so much.