Josh Allen vs Bills History

If Allen plays in a similar style to how he played in Tennessee then Josh will be able to win 10-11 games this season. Josh obviously has to cut down on the INT's but I think as he gets more comfortable and more experience he will play just conservative enough to avoid key turnovers. The more I think about Josh's game yesterday the more I am impressed on it. The Titans Defense could finish in the top 5 and certainly barring catastrophic injury they should be a top 10 defense. 

Josh threw 70% with 2 TD's to 1 INT against a top 10 defense on the road. With multiple in game injuries to his O-line with virtually no running game until the 4th quarter. That's pretty good for any QB let alone a young QB. Even the one INT he threw was in part on Yeldon for stopping his route (although it was not a necessary risk for Josh to take.) 

I think this sub is just bi-polar when it comes to Josh. One week he is the best thing since sliced bread the next week he is a bum. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As a 30 year buffalo fan. Josh is the second QB(after kelly) to give me the feeling that we can pull out a win with the game on the line.

His poise, confedence, and competitive drive along with his talent has made me buy in.

In fact I just bought my very first buffalo player jersey #17 Allen this week. My other bills jerseys are personalised with my name or nickname.

I love his whole demeanor and make up.

The turnovers are maddening but after years of tyrod safeball and fitz weak arm (trying to be peyton in the pocket instead of continuing to play like every snap is his last) underthrowing wrs for ints. 

I'll live with his mistakes as i see him trying to grow. 

But I'd rather he stay more fearless than cautious but not take unnecessary hits while scrambling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Allen is on pace for over 4000 yards passing 26 total touchdowns and 22 picks.  Over the last 40 years only two Bills qbs have had better seasons Kelly in 89 and 91 and Bledsoe in 2002.

Still not a huge fan of Allen but wondering if this changes anyones thought on him or if its a larger reflection on how bad the qb play has been here?

So a while back I did a big evaluation of QB success vs draft position.  I had to decide what characteristics defined "QB success" which to me was a guy you can win with consistently if you field a good D and put some pieces around him, not a "set your hair on fire once in a generation Magical Franchise Man".

The criteria I came up with, which some poo-poo as too lenient, were >59% completion, >6.5 YPA, >1.5 TD/INT ratio, and a floor of 200-220 YPG passing.

The catch is the guy must meet them all.  Right now, where Allen is lacking is the TD/INT ratio.  He is on track for 16 passing TD and 22 picks.

He needs to get the picks under control for us to win consistently against good teams with him at the helm. 

He's always, I think, going to make the occasional boneheaded play trying to force things to happen.  But he can't make 2-4 of 'em per game.

14 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

As a 30 year buffalo fan. Josh is the second QB(after kelly) to give me the feeling that we can pull out a win with the game on the line.

His poise, confedence, and competitive drive along with his talent has made me buy in.

In fact I just bought my very first buffalo player jersey #17 Allen this week. My other bills jerseys are personalised with my name or nickname.

I love his whole demeanor and make up.

The turnovers are maddening but after years of tyrod safeball and fitz weak arm (trying to be peyton in the pocket instead of continuing to play like every snap is his last) underthrowing wrs for ints. 

I'll live with his mistakes as i see him trying to grow. 

But I'd rather he stay more fearless than cautious but not take unnecessary hits while scrambling.

A PERFECT post!!!!!

Amen to every thing you wrote.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Let's hope he gets those interceptions down.

That’s what young guys do. Hopefully he does what guys do when they play and learn. I’m not certain, but I’m very optimistic. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

While he makes some big mistakes, Allen is a gamer.  He elevates his game in the 4th quarter when we need it the most.  It's the "it" factor that many other Bills QBs have lacked.  Fitz, for example, had many huge games with big passing numbers and multiple TDs.  When the game was on the line, however, he usually threw a pick or fumbled the ball.  Tyrod was a little different.  He didn't have the big passing numbers that Fitz had, but he similarly lacked the ability to get it done when the game was on the line.  Rather than a pick or fumble, Tyrod meekly turned it over on downs. ☹️

To he fair to Fitz, he had a bit of "gamer" in him.

He just didn't have the arm, or weapons to go with it. Not that he was ever going to be a top QB or anything, but any QB that intentionally hits a DB instead of going out of bounds earns points in my book.

He still hasnt played a complete season yet.  Taking things off his plate or going to a run heavy style cripples his development.  Give him control of the offense, take some lumps and mistakes and learn from it.  It's the start of October.  Buffalo is 4-1 and far from reaching their potential or peaking.  Get Allen reps and see if he can find a grove.  He does that look out.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I want him to be great. If he can tone down being a turnover machine, throw more TDs and lead this team to wins over good teams then I will fully buy into him being our franchise QB.

No doubt. We all want him to be great. My main thing that I continue to harp on is that the INT's are annoying and he needs to cut them down, but I'm actually fine if he throws 15-18 picks with 35 plus TD's LONG term.

I think this season has been altered a bit by the 4-1 start. It's not really about DEVELOPING Josh Allen. It's about winning football games. They should work in tandem, but under different circumstances, you probably cut him loose a bit more and let the chips fall where they may. With the defense in place, I think the correct approach is to harness him a bit and play to the situation.

• Like (+1) 1

4 TDs and 8 INTs.  70 rating. 

Baker Mayfield.  

Maybe he can get some garbage stats here to boost those.  

My QB wins.  He doesn't usually get many chances to pad the stats. 

He's also really the main guy game planned for on our O.  We don't have Chubb.  Or Landry.  Or OBJ to make DCs lose sleep at night.... 

I'm just thinking out loud here.  

It's more of a reflection of how QB stats have trended up consistently for a long long time, particularly total yards.

Allen's tied for 18th in the NFL in yards. We've had guys in that area plenty of times over the years.

We've also had guys with stats in the area of 26 TDs and 22 INTs. Which is not a good ratio. Though not so awful for a 2nd year guy. Fitzy has a year when he went 24 and 23 in Buffalo, for instance.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

No doubt. We all want him to be great. My main thing that I continue to harp on is that the INT's are annoying and he needs to cut them down, but I'm actually fine if he throws 15-18 picks with 35 plus TD's LONG term.

I think this season has been altered a bit by the 4-1 start. It's not really about DEVELOPING Josh Allen. It's about winning football games. They should work in tandem, but under different circumstances, you probably cut him loose a bit more and let the chips fall where they may. With the defense in place, I think the correct approach is to harness him a bit and play to the situation.

Right on. Josh Allen's development has suddenly become preempted by a 4-1 start, and the rules have changed a little. Now Allen inherits the role of winning games and developing on the fly. What a way to learn...but in the end, he becomes a more complete QB.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

I hope to god he slows down that INT rate. If he can remain efficient without the turnovers, we will have something on our hands. 

I did too. He does need to keep that number a lot lower than its at but each pick from here on out will make me cringe more than it probably should. 

But each TD would also make you smile and be so happy.   Let us enjoy the good and hope he continues to improve on the bad.

I thought Allen played his worst NFL game vs the Pats and his best game against the Titans. He played smart football, wrapped up the ball when defenders were near and his mechanics were much better last Sunday. You have to be a good game manager before you can be a good gunslinger. I'll take just 1 bonehead play per game from Josh every week.

Edited by GreggTX

26 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I thought Allen played his worst NFL game vs the Pats and his best game against the Titans. He played smart football, wrapped up the ball when defenders were near and his mechanics were much better last Sunday. You have to be a good game manager before you can be a good gunslinger. I'll take just 1 bonehead play per game from Josh every week.

I agree! For now I can live with the one bad play a week. I didn’t really feel that pick was as bad as the ones against NE. But they are a better defense also. 

Patience is the word for now! Let’s see what we have after he has had 2 1/2 to 3 years of starts! He’s worth the wait considering what his ceiling could be. Also considering that will give the offense  more time to gel and catch up to the defense! This team could be scary good!!

What excites me most about Josh Allen, is his growth. He has demonstrated measurable growth from year one to year two and as CBS pointed out on Sunday (and others) he just finished his 16th game. In the same vein of thought, he continues to improve and he continues to show progression in certain areas. Sunday was an example of how you could see him fighting his instincts to run too often or run going head first and you can see when he threw the ball into the ground he hated it, but I think he knows it's about a strategic loss of the battle (play) in order to win the war (game / season). 

Allen's physical traits coming in were just - "Wow!" - but it was his maturity and insatiable pursuit to be better that made me believe the kid could be great. Now, we see some of that unfolding. Honestly, I feel like this is a 3 year journey: Raw / Terrible Decision - to Game Manager / Bursts of Wow - to top 5 QB for career. I see the Bills taking a methodical approach to his development by telling him this year the Defense is amazing, manage the game, make some throws, move the ball - but learn to harness your talent and use your mind. Then, with experience and maturity, along with better players around him, next year we see the realization of his full potential. The rest of this season remains to be seen, but you know who that career arc reminds me of? Big Ben. Great D and HOF RB, make some throws, manage the game and allow the game to mature you. Not just because of his size or arm, but because of how it seems Allen is showing his maturation. It needs to continue, but all promising looking toward the future as he grows. 

• Thank you (+1) 1