Is the Cheats* D as good as it appears to be?

It's a combination of a very good defense and a very easy schedule to date.  For what it's worth, the same can be said for the Bills.  The best offense each has played was when they played each other and the defenses ruled the day.  I think both defenses are very good and will prove it over the course of the season, but the performances and statistics of each will decline a little bit as the opponents get better.  The '85 Bears and the best Ravens' defenses were better.  Statistics aside, they dominated everyone they played and did it over the course of a full season and playoffs, all the way to Super Bowl titles.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

You mean back when they knew every play the offense was going to run because they had been illegally videotaping practices for year? 

No, no, he means when the coach would call out the opposing teams plays into their helmet audio well after the cut-off period. 

They're not nearly as good as the Bills defense. Buffalo held arguably the NFL's best offense, the Pats, to 1 TD and 1 FG. And Brady had one of the worst games of his career. Would the NE defense be able to do that against that same offense and QB? I doubt it.

Edited by Bubba Gump

17 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

It's a combination of a very good defense and a very easy schedule to date.  For what it's worth, the same can be said for the Bills.  The best offense each has played was when they played each other and the defenses ruled the day.  I think both defenses are very good and will prove it over the course of the season, but the performances and statistics of each will decline a little bit as the opponents get better.  The '85 Bears and the best Ravens' defenses were better.  Statistics aside, they dominated everyone they played and did it over the course of a full season and playoffs, all the way to Super Bowl titles.

I thought about this but to me a difference is that the Bills offense has put the Bills D in a terrible position.  For example, 4 turnovers vs the Jets.  That should have killed the Bills.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Arguably, the Cheats* D has had it easy this year.  They have faced the #28 (Skins), #29 (Steelers), #31 (Fins), #13 (Bills) and #32 (Jets).  The best team they faced statistically, the Bills have a QB who is still learning the game and was without their best RB.

There is a chicken and egg here, the teams they played may be ranked as poorly as they are because NE* has such a good defense.  Alternatively the Cheats* D may be statistically good because they have not been tested.

Personally, while I think the Cheat*s D is good their statistics are overstated at this point of the season.

Your thoughts?

I think they are are a legit elite defense AND I think their statistics are currently inflated by having faced 3 teams who just aren't very good or were without key starters.  I expect them to continue to be one of the top Ds but to regress a bit to the mean as they play a few better teams like the Ravens, Iggles, Cowboys, Texans, and Chiefs.

But I was actually shocked by how different the offense game film of Pats vs Bills looked relative to Bills vs Titans.   Maybe we were more prepared, and in some ways Daboll did a better job with initial playcalling, but that Pats D were Dawgs man Dawgs.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I thought about this but to me a difference is that the Bills offense has put the Bills D in a terrible position.  For example, 4 turnovers vs the Jets.  That should have killed the Bills.

The Bills D has been unreal. 

You're completely right that given the fact that we're leading the league in TO on offense our D is better than is generally appreciated right now.  I posted about it in another thread, but I needed surgery to reattach my jaw after that series against the Titans (end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th) where we held in the redzone for something like 8 plays which were actually 10 or 11 with penalties.  The Titans had what seemed like a bottomless well of "shots on goal" and came away empty thanks to a blocked FG. 

The truth is out there and eventually it will emerge, especially if our offense cleans up its act so as not to muddy the waters of how legit our D is.

1 hour ago, loyal2dagame said:

Nope.  Just some more talking head hype. They will be exposed soon enough. Their DB's are good.  That's about it. Other than the Bills, they have played teams that are horrible. They have to make the Pats* D sound and look like an all time great so when they do get exposed,  the heat is on the D and not Marsha. 

Right, I mean what have they proved?  It’s not like they’ve won a Super Bowl or anything...

The myopia around here is hilarious.

Edited by mannc

The QBs they have faced are a joke, outside of our young QB who is still developing and not a guy who scares you yet

Big Ben with a broken elbow

Jets 3rd string QB

Colt McCoy

Miami JV squad

And Josh Allen, who is unproven

I'll wait to crown them some great defense.

Difference between them and us: we owned Brady. They don't play Brady.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

They were good but the Bills still put up 375 yrds on them. Pats only put up 224 on us...they are good but not as good as the Bills are.

Hence why I said top 3, not the best