Good Morning Football Discusses Bills: Are the Bills in the same category as the Pats and Chiefs?

mykidsdad

The Bills have had a lot of luck on their side to be 4-1 right now. They needed 4th quarter comebacks to beat 2 winless teams (Jets & Bengals), and needed 4 missed FGs and 2 called back TDs to beat the Titans. The reason they don't get put in the same category as the Pats and Chiefs is that even though they have the same wins, they aren't beating teams convincingly. The Pats and Chiefs and other teams are beating the bad teams like they should, and doing it by a bunch of points.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There isn't much of a comparison yet.  Maybe later in the season. 

They beat us by 6 points in a game where our QB played just terrible and then left the game with an injury. Yeah we could beat them in one game in the playoffs. We wouldn't be the favorites but it's within reason.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Bills have had a lot of luck on their side to be 4-1 right now. They needed 4th quarter comebacks to beat 2 winless teams (Jets & Bengals), and needed 4 missed FGs and 2 called back TDs to beat the Titans. The reason they don't get put in the same category as the Pats and Chiefs is that even though they have the same wins, they aren't beating teams convincingly. The Pats and Chiefs and other teams are beating the bad teams like they should, and doing it by a bunch of points.

????

The called back TDs last week were absolutely legitimate penalties.  That’s not “luck”, that’s the rulebook.

4th-quarter game winning drives aren’t luck, either.  Cmon, man.

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Josh Allen scores when the team needs him to...I have no doubt if the Titans made those FG’s, JA would have led the team back, because that is when he is at his best. ?

I mean the game ended with them well within FG range with a full set of downs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

????

The called back TDs last week were absolutely legitimate penalties.  That’s not “luck”, that’s the rulebook.

4th-quarter game winning drives aren’t luck, either.  Cmon, man.

They were lucky in that if he throws the ball a second earlier its a good TD, and they were lucky his knee hit when it did because it was also very close to being a good TD. 2 games were won because the others team kicker could hit a FG to save his life.

4th quarter comebacks are great, but the reason you don't see teams like the Chiefs and Patriots with many of them is because they put the game away before the 4th because they have scored enough during the previous 3 quarters to win the game.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

The league is very muddled these days. Few teams at the top, few at the bottom and a ton in the middle. The teams in the middle can change really fast. Sometimes due to injuries and sometimes for no reason at all. 

Bottom is clearly - MIA, NYJ, WAS

Next Bottom - CIN, DEN, AZ

The Closer to Bottom than top - OAK, ATL, PIT, NYG, TEN, TB, CAR, IND, JAC

The Closer to Top than Bottom - HOU, MIN, BAL, SEA, CLE, LAC, BUF, DET, SF, GB, LAR, PHI, CHI, DAL, NO

The Top - NE, KC

Luckily for Bills this season we play 7 games against the bottom of the league. So we can split the remaining 9 games vs mid to better teams and still finish with 11-12 wins. This is the season that anyone could wind up in the AFC title game. Its a year to take advantage of. I do think we are below the Chiefs and Pats, but I when you have a good defense you can make anything happen. 

Guess you missed SNF last night.  The Chiefs got exposed.  I’d love the Bills chances against them.

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They were lucky in that if he throws the ball a second earlier its a good TD, and they were lucky his knee hit when it did because it was also very close to being a good TD. 2 games were won because the others team kicker could hit a FG to save his life.

4th quarter comebacks are great, but the reason you don't see teams like the Chiefs and Patriots with many of them is because they put the game away before the 4th because they have scored enough during the previous 3 quarters to win the game.

He couldn’t throw it earlier because the player wasn’t open yet. If he throws it earlier the way he threw it, it’s probably picked off. Could be wrong but that’s how I saw it yesterday at the game and on the replay at the stadium.

47 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They are not in the same league as those teams. 

But they are winning close games despite losing the TO battle every week. Last year they won early way on the lopsided end of turnovers. If they start generating turnovers, look out. 

Edited by Sundancer

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

How bout once we play MIA

Play them twice in fact.  Point is, while the Defenses are comparable, the offenses are not.  They just aren't.  You play the teams teams you play.  And you need to crush the bad teams if they are on your schedule.

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They beat us by 6 points in a game where our QB played just terrible and then left the game with an injury. Yeah we could beat them in one game in the playoffs. We wouldn't be the favorites but it's within reason.

Again, maybe.  But this Offense needs to be 2 orders of magnitude better than it is now to be compared. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Play them twice in fact.  Point is, while the Defenses are comparable, the offenses are not.  They just aren't.  You play the teams teams you play.  And you need to crush the bad teams if they are on your schedule

Point being, answering OP are the Bills and Pats comparable: I say yes, yes they are. Notwithstanding statistics skewed by early/outlier results...these two teams played once, game was even, Bills covered. If h2h is any indication they are definitely in the same conversation.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

You know I was thinking this morning, are the Bills Super Bowl contenders? And it didn't sound all that crazy in my mind. Which isn't to say we are one of the Super Bowl favorites, or even in that conversation. But right now I don't see any team in the league we can't compete with. I thought the Chiefs were running away with it this year but now I'm not sure. Everyone looks beatable. If we make it to the playoffs, and I believe we will, anything is possible.

Its why I kept beating the drum to make a big splash at WR our DE. If you think Allen and McDermott are remotely “the guys” we are in a roughly 3 year window of huge advantage and would hate to see them leave anything untried or waste a year without pushing the chips in.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

The Closer to Bottom than top - OAK, ATL, PIT, NYG, TEN, TB, CAR, IND, JAC

The COLTS closer to the bottom? Did you even watch last night's game?

No way in hell. The Colts will be battling us for a playoff spot.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SF Bills Fan said:

The Bills are a legit playoff contender but not elite yet. Though, the Chiefs are deeply flawed and not a balanced team. If the Bills make the playoffs (which I fully expect), they will be a team nobody wants to face.

Yeah I was looking at the standings earlier figuring out who was going to be the unlucky 4th seed, the worst of the best if you will.

52 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Our team is built to win in the playoffs. Great defense; strong line play; clutch late-game offense by the QB.

I think we will have a chance to win every game this year. Will just have to keep making big plays late.

The biggest issue would be not winning the division. Until we are the best in the division it’s an uphill road

Having to go on the road to win 4 games is VERY tough and don’t think we are there yet on offense.

But if Allen got hot, no reason to think this team absolutely couldn’t be like the flacco led ravens.