Should Bills be looking at some early extensions. (something for bye week).

MAJBobby

This Defense is very good and I do not see a drop off coming anytime this season. So looking at the upcoming UFAs. 

Jordon Phillips - UFA

Spencer Long - Club Option 

Lorenzo Alexander - UFA

Kevin Johnson - UFA

Shaq Lawson - UFA

Quinten Spain - UFA

Frank Gore - UFA 

LaAdrian Waddle - UFA

Julian Stanford - UFA

Maurice Alexander - UFA 

Kurt Coleman - UFA

Dean Marlow - RFA

Isaiah McKenzie - RFA

Jason Croom - EFRA

Levi Wallace - EFRA 

Robert Foster - EFRA 

so knowing we have the cap space. Would you be trying to use the Bye week to lock up a couple Key Extension(s) now. 

For Example Jordon Phillips.  Reason I am using him is unlike when he was in MIA he seems like he likes it in Buffalo and feels appreciated so his play shows he doesn’t have the up and down play they saw at MIA. And now with Harrison Phillips being done for the year he is going to see an uptick in snaps for rest of season. First game and he really performs. I think if they strike Now with extension talks they can get him cheaper than waiting. So  Using Malcom Brown contract of 3yrs 15M as a comparison. 

I would say also Levi Wallace he has the No2 CB locked down. Only thing with him though being an EFRA he is cost controlled for a awhile. So won’t need to worry about paying him for awhile either. However if he keeps playing like he is that number to keep him keeps going up and up and up. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Part of the strategy is one year deals with this regime.  It is somewhat uncomfortable but you end up with hungry players.  Of that list, you consider extending one or two probably.   Others you can do another one year deal with, others you let go and bring fresh meat in to replace.  It will be ok.

• Like (+1) 3

Phillips maybe?  Other than that no.  I think Buffalo should explore ways to improve the roster.  See if they can flip an unproductive player for some resources and look at the costs of adding a player or 2 to the roster who are semi available.

Let them enjoy the time off is my opinion. 

Yes I'm sure they would all love to be called into work for a contract extension but they need to let them relax too. 

Stay hungry, stay humble. You'll get your meal ticket in time. 

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Let them enjoy the time off is my opinion. 

Yes I'm sure they would all love to be called into work for a contract extension but they need to let them relax too. 

Stay hungry, stay humble. You'll get your meal ticket in time. 

agents can work out the contract. And it is there ready to be signed when they come back. Not like the agents is going to go to the player until a solid offer given. 

I am not sure though if they Bills with Beane have an official stance in season extensions. I know some teams have that stance 

Jordon Phillips - UFA  -  He wants to be a Bill.  -  He's a keeper

Spencer Long - Club Option  -  Good depth - keep him if you can

Lorenzo Alexander - UFA -  He will sign a one year deal.

Kevin Johnson - UFA -  If he can be had on the cheap

Shaq Lawson - UFA -  If you can get him to agree to a below $7M a year contract

Quinten Spain - UFA - Depends on the offseason.  My guess is that maybe Ford can move to his spot if they like the way Ford plays this year

Frank Gore - UFA  -  Depends on how he finishes the year - if he finishes the way he has played then another one year deal seems great

LaAdrian Waddle - UFA - Meh

Julian Stanford - UFA - Meh

Maurice Alexander - UFA - Keeper

Kurt Coleman - UFA - Could be decent depth

Dean Marlow - RFA - Could be decent depth

Isaiah McKenzie - RFA - Keeper

Jason Croom - EFRA - Let him walk

Levi Wallace - EFRA  - Big time keeper

Robert Foster - EFRA - Keeper

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ticketssince61 said:

There is no rush to extend. Let's see how they play the entire year before extending

I understand that as well. However for a player like Phillips (my key example here). Working it now and you can get him near 5-7 AVV. Wait and that could be closer to 10M AVV. Then you either lose Phillips or a chance at that 1 yr 3M deal for some roll player (See Gore). 

I just think there is value in timing extensions properly because you can save cap which allows for chance at more players. 

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This Defense is very good and I do not see a drop off coming anytime this season. So looking at the upcoming UFAs. 

Jordon Phillips - UFA

Lorenzo Alexander - UFA

Kevin Johnson - UFA

Shaq Lawson - UFA

Quinten Spain - UFA

Frank Gore - UFA 

LaAdrian Waddle - UFA

Julian Stanford - UFA

Maurice Alexander - UFA 

Kurt Coleman - UFA

Dean Marlow - RFA

Isaiah McKenzie - RFA

Jason Croom - EFRA

Levi Wallace - EFRA 

Robert Foster - EFRA 

so knowing we have the cap space. Would you be trying to use the Bye week to lock up a couple Key Extension(s) now. 

For Example Jordon Phillips.  Reason I am using him is unlike when he was in MIA he seems like he likes it in Buffalo and feels appreciated so his play shows he doesn’t have the up and down play they saw at MIA. And now with Harrison Phillips being done for the year he is going to see an uptick in snaps for rest of season. First game and he really performs. I think if they strike Now with extension talks they can get him cheaper than waiting. So  Using Malcom Brown contract of 3yrs 15M as a comparison. 

I would say also Levi Wallace he has the No2 CB locked down. Only thing with him though being an EFRA he is cost controlled for a awhile. So won’t need to worry about paying him for awhile either. However if he keeps playing like he is that number to keep him keeps going up and up and up. 

I see maybe five names to focus on and players such as Gore and Alexander are most likely heading into retirement after this season.

Definitely worth considering upcoming extensions, even those beyond next year. Have to imagine their core guys will be given extensions (Tre, Milano, Dawkins, Poyer all up in 2021). We have some flexibility with Tre's fifth-year option, as well as Allen and Edmunds the year after, but the wise move would be to work on an extension after year three if you believe they are a big part of your future - for instance Wentz got extended after his third season. I think Beane is keeping long-term signings to a minimum in anticipation of these.

I think if Zo has another year in him (he is still playing at a fairly high level), I can see another year extension. Kevin Johnson is good depth and I'd like to retain him as well. I haven't noticed much of Mo Alexander, but if he's doing his part on ST I'm sure he can be retained on the cheap, but also just as easily replaced.

Would like to extend Spain, Phillips and Shaq. If any of them get overpaid to leave, I think we can reasonably move on from them and would expect them to look for more OL and DE prospects in the draft. DE is the more pressing need, but we have to consider Ty, Long and Feliciano are also on short contracts. 

As far as the RFAs go, Foster and Wallace are no question tenders. I would think McKenzie and Marlowe stick around too. 

48 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I understand that as well. However for a player like Phillips (my key example here). Working it now and you can get him near 5-7 AVV. Wait and that could be closer to 10M AVV. Then you either lose Phillips or a chance at that 1 yr 3M deal for some roll player (See Gore). 

I just think there is value in timing extensions properly because you can save cap which allows for chance at more players. 

It’s a good idea to extend Phillips, but probably not a good idea the week after the best game of his life. 

2 minutes ago, LEBills said:

It’s a good idea to extend Phillips, but probably not a good idea the week after the best game of his life. 

even then I still think the Contract signed from Malcom Brown is comparable even with his best game ever. Stats and age of the two are very similar. Meaning right now Jordon Phillips should get no more than a 6M AVV. However he starts stringing these type games together with his increase in snaps and that will climb and could get into the 9-10M AVV in offseason. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Jordon Phillips - UFA

Lorenzo Alexander - UFA

Kevin Johnson - UFA

Shaq Lawson - UFA

Quinten Spain - UFA

Frank Gore - UFA 

LaAdrian Waddle - UFA

Julian Stanford - UFA

Maurice Alexander - UFA 

Kurt Coleman - UFA

Dean Marlow - RFA

Isaiah McKenzie - RFA

Jason Croom - EFRA

Levi Wallace - EFRA 

Robert Foster - EFRA 

when you play for the best defenses, you get paid.

Levi needs to get a multi year asap.  10 mill+

phillips is also a priority. he’s gonna want 10 mill+

I’d like Shaq back but can see him being on his way after this year.

Milano and poyer could get 10mill plus after next year.  

Spain’s been very good for us.  5-10?

dawkins, meh.  I’d prefer to trade him now tbh rather than let him go later because he’s not worth anywhere near what he’s gonna get paid. 

tre will get 16-20 in a couple years

glad daryl johnson is under control for nothing.  He’s a beast.

Jordon Phillips - UFA - Absolfriggenlutely

Spencer Long - Club Option - I think we have Ford and he is a OG.....not sure I bring him back

Lorenzo Alexander - UFA - He is going to retire

Kevin Johnson - UFA - Yes

Shaq Lawson - UFA - If he is not asking for a insane amount of money....I want to see the progression of Johnson continue

Quinten Spain - UFA - To me he is a yes...I dont care if we have too many good OGs

Frank Gore - UFA  - WOuld love to have him back

LaAdrian Waddle - UFA - Have not seen enough of him to know

Julian Stanford - UFA - Meh

Maurice Alexander - UFA - Meh

Kurt Coleman - UFA - If the price is right .....yes

Dean Marlow - RFA - Meh

Isaiah McKenzie - RFA - if the price is right...yes

Jason Croom - EFRA - Not a chance

Levi Wallace - EFRA - Absofriggenlutely

Robert Foster - EFRA - At the right price...yes

This post is exactly why I don't want to waste draft picks or large cap for a overpriced diva WR in a trade. 

Resign our own on good deals and continue to draft well. This is how you win with a FO that knows what the hell is going on. 

Edited by Real McCoy