Shaq Lawson - maybe a keeper?

Just now, MAJBobby said:

this. Can get both Shaq and Phillips under contract for a bit more than Star is making 

looking back signing star was a terrible choice. he's sitting as one of the highest paid players on the team and I have heard his name called maybe twice this entire season. biggest waste of money. 

I hope they can sign him, I would like to see as little disruption on this defense as possible, while only losing guys we cant afford and pieces here and there as needed.  If it's not broke,dont fix it.  We need to work on the offense a little more

31 minutes ago, Magox said:

If you can get Shaq Lawson to agree to a similar contract to what Trent Murphy agreed to which is around the $7M a year range, I think you look at other options. 

With that said, I'd really like to have him back.  He certainly is an overall productive D Lineman.

Id rather keep Shaq and and get a upgrade for Murphy 

1 minute ago, dous21 said:

looking back signing star was a terrible choice. he's sitting as one of the highest paid players on the team and I have heard his name called maybe twice this entire season. biggest waste of money. 

I didn’t like the Star contract from Jump. And I have grown to hate it more and more. Unfortunately their really out year on his contract is after next year. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/

that is the reason I think they will approach him with the Vet pay cut talk after the season initially. 

22 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd like to keep Shaq Lawson, he's been improving each year and is an all down DE right now.  Like others pointed out, if we can sign Shaq in the Trent Murphy range, do it.  If he wants Clowney money, have to let him go. 

...LOL....Clowney can't find "Clowney(his number) money" takers yet........

36 minutes ago, dous21 said:

Yeah, no. If EVER we’re going to give Sean McD credit for something he sees that most of us don’t, it’s Star. For the last year & a half, his Defense has been rightfully placed at the top of the NFL! That’s no small task and Star is an every down player in his scheme. He gets no cred but cred is lavished on the LBs playing directly behind him. Think about that. 

As for Shaq, “improving every year” just to keep a roster spot still doesn’t equate to where Rex Drafted him. He’s one of the very few holdovers pre McBeane so there’s little commitment to him. I believe we’ll make a decent offer for him to consider, but every players best contract is their second one. Some team will offer him more. Then he’ll have to decide. I don’t see him here next season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Magox said:

If you can get Shaq Lawson to agree to a similar contract to what Trent Murphy agreed to which is around the $7M a year range, I think you look at other options. 

With that said, I'd really like to have him back.  He certainly is an overall productive D Lineman.

I don't think he'd get much more than that from another team.  Plus, he's excelling in this front seven.  If you pay him big bucks to be "THE GUY", I think he becomes just another guy.

31 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Players that get their 5th year option declined dont sign with the team that drafted them...

Just seems to be the way it is... maybe its hurt feelings or something..

Agree

I think if the FO feels OK, we've seen enough of him late last season and up till now, we want him back and made a decent offer now and he wants to be here, then maybe.  But likely he'd at least want to test the FA waters to see what he can get elsewhere, the only reason not to remain unsigned is the injury risk.  IMO he's the kind of player that if another team signs him to a big contract, they may regret it and realize he's more the product of a great team around him. Having said that I would like him back, but on a modest contract.

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I don't think he'd get much more than that from another team.  Plus, he's excelling in this front seven.  If you pay him big bucks to be "THE GUY", I think he becomes just another guy.

I don't think $7m a year nowadays is big bucks for a DE.

If you want to look at a comparable from last year. Henry Anderson. 

3 yrs 25.5M with an 8.4M AVV. That should be and likely will be about where Shaq is. 

And why would Shaq take that deal. Nice money and hits UFA again before 30 years old for a chance to land a bigger money deal. 

could be the same type of thing for Phillips. Put him on a 3 year deal maybe around the 6M AVV. Malcom Brown Contract 3 yr 15M is a good comparable for Phillips as well. And that he seems to really like it here (loves being appreciated) I think he would take a bit less to stay as well. 

Edited by MAJBobby

6 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I hate paying guys that do nothing until their contract year. I let him walk and say thank you. 

I don't see that in Lawson - I don't believe that he's having a good year simply because it's a contract year.  I think he's a young guy that came into the league injured and playing under one regime, then then switched to another regime.  It took him some time to develop and get comfortable with his role in the current defense.  I think he has shown steady improvement every year and has the fire to be a good player.  If you can re-sign him to a reasonable deal, you do it.  If another team lures him away with over-the-top dollars that are going to hurt the long-term salary cap, you wish him well at his next stop.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Shaq is a 2nd round draft pick that got picked in the 1st and struggled with injuries early on.   

He's productive and used properly now, and has been a difference maker.  The perfect time to extend a guy like that is soon, where he won't have to worry about injury screwing him the rest of the year and possibly costing him a big dear, but before he hits the open market in the offseason.   

He's probably a little better than Trent, give the kid an $8M a year deal and keep him.