Shaq Lawson - maybe a keeper?

The real revelation on defense this season IMO has been Shaq Lawson. I will wait for the All 22 and PFF stats but he appears to be winning a bunch of his matchups. That makes the rest of the D line better. Maybe just maybe Whaley did get one right and Beane shd seriously consider keeping SL in a Bills uniform long term.

• Like (+1) 2

He is a nice piece, but at some point you have to make hard choices. He is good, for sure, but unless he wants in the 5 to 10 range, you are almost better off bringing in a rookie. I know we have space now, but it will be more important to extend Poyer, Jordan Phillips, and Tre. I am sure I am missing others as well.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If you can get Shaq Lawson to agree to a similar contract to what Trent Murphy agreed to which is around the $7M a year range, I think you look at other options. 

With that said, I'd really like to have him back.  He certainly is an overall productive D Lineman.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He is a nice piece, but at some point you have to make hard choices. He is good, for sure, but unless he wants in the 5 to 10 range, you are almost better off bringing in a rookie. I know we have space now, but it will be more important to extend Poyer, Jordan Phillips, and Tre. I am sure I am missing others as well.   

I would like keep both Jordan Phillips and Lawson - they complement each other so well. I don't have the stats but it appears each does better when the other is beside him.

I think the problem is you cant keep everyone, and sometimes you have to let someone else overpay your mid-tier guys. I suspect we go DE early in the draft in 2020. Id rather pay Milano, Trey, Phillips. 

Will have to see how his market shakes out. 

Edited by PirateHookerMD

He's a strong piece to the D, does the dirty work well.  A guy you keep because he doesn't have the stats to demand a monster contract.  But he's very important.

When Johnson is in at end he gets attacked and is no where near as strong.  Shaq owns his space.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Players that get their 5th year option declined dont sign with the team that drafted them...

Just seems to be the way it is... maybe its hurt feelings or something..

I don't know as long as the money is at the right level for him I think he'll want to stay a part of this defense.

I'd like to keep Shaq Lawson, he's been improving each year and is an all down DE right now.  Like others pointed out, if we can sign Shaq in the Trent Murphy range, do it.  If he wants Clowney money, have to let him go. 

Pay the Interior DL first. In today’s NFL of quick passing game that disrupts the passer the most. 

Phillips has outplayed Star. So now you have Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver and Jordon Phillips outplaying your DT that is on a Big Contract. 

screams to me re-sign Jordon Phillips and approach Star with the Pay Cut talk. 

if you do that you can easily put Phillips and Lawson (probably 5-7 AVV) easily in the cap. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know as long as the money is at the right level for him I think he'll want to stay a part of this defense.

If it’s about the money, then I think another more desperate team will offer more than what the Bills will...

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Players that get their 5th year option declined dont sign with the team that drafted them...

There's been at least four or five over the years who have.

11 minutes ago, Magox said:

If you can get Shaq Lawson to agree to a similar contract to what Trent Murphy agreed to which is around the $7M a year range, I think you look at other options. 

With that said, I'd really like to have him back.  He certainly is an overall productive D Lineman.

He is a decent rotational player but is nowhere near worth $7 Million a year.   If you can sign him for somewhere in the range of 3.5-4 Million a year similar to Chris Smith from the Browns go for it, but I wouldnt pay a penny more.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don't know the stats but what you say is logical. That being said it appears the Titans want to keep Conklin and the Seahawks plan to keep Ifedi despite declining their options. These two are just from Shaq's own draft class.

26 minutes ago, Magox said:

...sounds like a reasonable number for the way the kid has been rounding into form for 2019.....then again, some team could throw "crazy money" at him, which in today's climate would not be a surprise....

• Like (+1) 2