That final drive was amazing

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They ran it down the throat of a good defense on the road while missing multiple starting OL. It was beautiful. You just don't see that often in this league anymore. Killing 4+ minutes on the ground to end the game. Impressive. It gives me confidence to say this Bills team is different from all the others that started fast.

Also, the Titans has 2 timeouts on that drive.  They had 2 runs of 11 yards and 1 for 19 as well.  That's impressive

10 minutes ago, eball said:

There's nothing quite like ruining a positive thread by pissing in the punchbowl.  Geez Louise.  Was it impressive to run out the last 4+ minutes of the game on the ground against a good defense on the road or not?

pretty common from that poster. I suggest not even quoting said person. like they don't even exist. dig where I'm coming from?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

24 minutes ago, WideNine said:

When the Titans sold out and threw everything but the kitchen sink into every gap on the right side of the line, and Josh seemed surprised for a split second that there was no one to account for him on that bootleg and waltz to the first down keeping the clock rolling....you just saw the last of the compete dribble out of that Titan team.

Having been there as a Bills fan so often I have to say it feels so much better being on this side of these games.

The best part was that was not the call according to Feliciano.  They called a run to the right and Allen did that himself without telling anyone?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Colts were even better at it last night against the Chiefs than the Bills.   The Colts were downright masterful running the ball.  

This right here.. We should take a page out of Franks book moving forward.   Running the ball in the 2nd half took the powerful Cheifs offense off the field.   Felt like a throw back to the mid 90's with the game plan.  I for one loved it.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They ran it down the throat of a good defense on the road while missing multiple starting OL. It was beautiful. You just don't see that often in this league anymore. Killing 4+ minutes on the ground to end the game. Impressive. It gives me confidence to say this Bills team is different from all the others that started fast.

When the Titans KNEW we were going to run. That's what's most impressive. It's one thing to catch them off-guard. It's another thing entirely to do exactly what you want to do, when the other team KNOWS that you're going to.

43 minutes ago, WideNine said:

When the Titans sold out and threw everything but the kitchen sink into every gap on the right side of the line, and Josh seemed surprised for a split second that there was no one to account for him on that bootleg and waltz to the first down keeping the clock rolling....you just saw the last of the compete dribble out of that Titan team.

Having been there as a Bills fan so often I have to say it feels so much better being on this side of these games.

Loved this play.  It's 3rd and short, and a first down ends the game.  The Titans all knew that Gore was getting the ball.  The entire stadium knew that Gore was getting the ball.  Everyone watching at home knew that Gore was getting the ball.  Sherpas in rural Nepal knew that Gore was getting the ball.  And Allen just casually strolls for 5 yards on the naked bootleg.  Game over.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Colts were even better at it last night against the Chiefs than the Bills.   The Colts were downright masterful running the ball.  

But wait a minute, pass happy offenses led by the Pin Ball Master and Arena Football League action can't be beat by old fashion defense and a running game; you are so antiquated! At least that's what I get from the TBD Football experts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Loved this play.  It's 3rd and short, and a first down ends the game.  The Titans all knew that Gore was getting the ball.  The entire stadium knew that Gore was getting the ball.  Everyone watching at home knew that Gore was getting the ball.  Sherpas in rural Nepal knew that Gore was getting the ball.  And Allen just casually strolls for 5 yards on the naked bootleg.  Game over.

I thought I saw someone say after the game that this play was a designed run to Gore but Allen decided to take off himself?  Is there an confirmation on this?

Edited by stevewin

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it's telling that at that time, besides Feliciano being at center (he was there since the second quarter, I believe) Bates was in at RT and Long was in at guard.  I think Cody Ford needs to sit a bit.  Definitely they need to end the RT experiment for now.  

13 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I thought I saw someone say after the game that this play was a designed run to Gore but Allen decided to take off himself?  Is there an confirmation on this?

I'd be interested to know if this is true.  And if true, why Allen did it.  Did he identify something in the defense that tipped him off that the left side would be wide open for the bootleg, or did he simply decide to gamble and take the game into his own hands?  Either way, the result was fantastic, but I'd feel better about it if it was the former and not the latter.  (I prefer an intelligent read properly executed versus a gamble that was lucky and paid off.)

Just now, msw2112 said:

I'd be interested to know if this is true.  And if true, why Allen did it.  Did he identify something in the defense that tipped him off that the left side would be wide open for the bootleg, or did he simply decide to gamble and take the game into his own hands?  Either way, the result was fantastic, but I'd feel better about it if it was the former and not the latter.  (I prefer an intelligent read properly executed versus a gamble that was lucky and paid off.)

According to an article in The Athletic it was Josh reading the D and ad-libbing the naked bootleg based upon what he saw.  So the former.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Yup, heads up play by Allen.

If you watch the replay, you can see Gore is probably going to get stopped, by the edge defender that totally lost contain.

Of course it doesn't save the timestamp. It happens at 10:24.

I was not expecting Gore to rip of 8-14 yarders when they knew it was coming. That and suffocating run D is so fun to watch. 

I forget who it was, someone from the O-line I believe, but they said it was a matter of pride within the team for the offense to finish the game off. Every other game the defense has had to stop the opponent to win the game, this time the offense got to finish it off. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 2

I probably cheered as wildly on the clock-kill drive as on the winning-TD drive.  Maybe more. 

I think it confused my wife who - being from the Philippines - doesn't yet understand all the nuances of American football.  

We had a banged-up, no-name line out there and we shoved the ball down their throats to seal the victory.   I was surprised, impressed, and wonderfully happy all at the same time.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

The best part was that was not the call according to Feliciano.  They called a run to the right and Allen did that himself without telling anyone?

and he burned all three defenders on that side.   

might see that play again only Josh fakes the run and actually hands it off but the defense is expecting bootleg so they don't cover that C gap and its another huge hole for Singletary.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The early to mid 2000's Steelers were experts at taking Bettis and running him behind Faneca and that O-line when they had a late lead and killing 5-6 minutes of the clock to end a game. That type of 4 minute offense is exactly what you need for a team with a great defense. Josh is slowly learning to just take what the opposing defense gives you. 

Colts did it to the Chiefs too, running all over them to run out the clock and keep the ball out of Mahomes’ hands. I was trying to make myself pull for the Chiefs because it’s better for our playoff chances to get the Colts out of the way, but .... I couldn’t do it, not with Frank Reich at the helm. Both were fun to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1