Bill Barnwell's Speculation for a Bills trade for Melvin Gordon

inthebuff

2 hours ago, Jerboski said:

A third and yeldon for a 5th and gordon, I do that trade 

And then go through another circus type holdout at seasons end because he’s expecting 15 mil a year.  No thanks! 

He’s not elite. Zeke, Kamara, Barkley, Bell, Gurley (when healthy) are elite. 

8 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

The trade deadline seems intriguing this year. Does anyone sense that Beane may address the offense and defense? Now that the Bills have a better idea of where they stand...reinforcements on the way?

Doubtful 

9 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

And then go through another circus type holdout at seasons end because he’s expecting 15 mil a year.  No thanks! 

He’s not elite. Zeke, Kamara, Barkley, Bell, Gurley (when healthy) are elite. 

He’s a pending free agent after this season so there won’t be any holdout 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd like to have one more back but that's because I'm not huge on Yeldon. It would feel better going down the stretch to have a solid 3rd option with Singletary's possible injury and Gore's wear and tear. 

I wouldn't want to pay big for Gordon though. I think he's kind of a tweener where he's pretty good but not great, but will likely get paid as great. 

I'm skeptical about a trade.  Beane has shown he is fiscally cautious and Gordon wants to be one of the highest paid RBs in the league.  That mean's he's essentially a rent-a-player, as somebody will pay Gordon more than he's worth as soon as he becomes a free agent.  Beane won't.

Just now, TigerJ said:

I'm skeptical about a trade.  Beane has shown he is fiscally cautious and Gordon wants to be one of the highest paid RBs in the league.  That mean's he's essentially a rent-a-player, as somebody will pay Gordon more than he's worth as soon as he becomes a free agent.  Beane won't.

Wasn't that part of the justification though? If we did this deal we'd give yeldon and a 2020 3rd for Gordon and a 2020 5th. If Gordon just plays out the year and signs big somewhere else we would get, potentially, a 2021 3rd round comp pick if his contract is high enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m all for adding another RB, but I’m not sure there isn’t a street free agent that can do the trick. Never paying Gordon what he wants so it would be a strict one year rental. Not interested in giving up any assets for that and I suspect Beane would feel the same way. 

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Wasn't that part of the justification though? If we did this deal we'd give yeldon and a 2020 3rd for Gordon and a 2020 5th. If Gordon just plays out the year and signs big somewhere else we would get, potentially, a 2021 3rd round comp pick if his contract is high enough. 

I didn’t really look at this aspect of it. In that case, sign me up. But also in that case, wouldn’t the Chargers just be better off using him this year and then letting him walk?

• inthebuff changed the title to Bill Barnwell's Speculation -- Bills trade for Melvin Gordon
2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I didn’t really look at this aspect of it. In that case, sign me up. But also in that case, wouldn’t the Chargers just be better off using him this year and then letting him walk?

Yeah, I don't see them moving him tbh. But the ultimate outcome for us in this hypothetical is we trade a 2020 3rd to upgrade Yeldon to Gordon for the year and get a 2020 5th and 2021 3rd in return. 

• inthebuff changed the title to Bill Barnwell's Speculation for a Bills trade for Melvin Gordon
1 hour ago, mannc said:

Misleading thread title; please fix.  Barnwell is not reporting speculation about a potential trade that's about to go down; he's merely saying what he would do if he were the Bills' GM. 

I fixed the title so it was clearer that it was Bill Barnwell's speculation.  It's not a deal nor is it even proposed.  

16 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, it was.  I am not into trying to strategize to gain comp picks.That's too much like grasping at straws, and Beane seems just as inclined to go out and sign a free agent with upside as to wait for a comp pick.  

23 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'd like to have one more back but that's because I'm not huge on Yeldon. It would feel better going down the stretch to have a solid 3rd option with Singletary's possible injury and Gore's wear and tear. 

I wouldn't want to pay big for Gordon though. I think he's kind of a tweener where he's pretty good but not great, but will likely get paid as great. 

I assume that was BB's thought process on the potential of trade... Getting Gordon would be protection if Gore of Singletary gets hurt late into the year. We have all seen the flashes Singletary has shown but it was on limited touches and does have the hammy which is an injury that can reoccur.

I have been pretty pleased with Yeldon as a third down back (other than the fumbling risk) but replacing him with Gordon to split reps with FG/DS would be an upgrade. Defenses would need to recognize MG as a threat to run/catch to keep the looks Allen see's more basic.  If it only costs a third (which would be replaced by a 3rd rd comp pick if let go) and a couple of million dollars to keep the threat and help Allen it is a logical mix. I also would think the integration time to get a RB into the lineup would be faster than a WR (learning routes, QB/WR chemistry).

3 hours ago, inthebuff said:

Should the Bills make the suggested trade?  Or should we stand pat with the running back by committee we have?

I'd rather stand pat and develop Singletary with Gore as the mentor, rather than trade for Gordon and limit Singletary's touches and progression.

No, find some guy off the street

49 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Doubtful 

He’s a pending free agent after this season so there won’t be any holdout 

Thanks, I stand corrected. Even worse to give up assets for someone many feel wouldn't be a difference maker and then go elsewhere.

I think this coaching staff is happy with Singletary. I think their was a plan in place to keep him limited until the Pats game but the hamstring injury kind of set that back. Kid is a baller. They would not of let MCCoy go if they didn’t think so