Bill Barnwell's Speculation for a Bills trade for Melvin Gordon

inthebuff

While I agree that we may have other needs, some of which may be more pressing as the season progresses, I would do this deal.  I think it is unrealistic to think that Gore will stay healthy for all of our remaining games and that Singletary will be fully healed from his hamstring injury for the remainder of the season.  Gordon may not be elite, but he is more than solid.

1 hour ago, ricojes said:

Maybe Singletary can be the lead guy with Gore filling in for the tough yardage, but it definitely won't hurt his progress to bring in an elite back to watch and learn from.

Yeah, let's bring in Emmitt Smith, dig up Sweetness, and Bring back Barry... oh wait... Frank Gore is about to supplant him on the all-time elite list of RB's in history...

Gore IS elite, in terms of knowledge and experience. You can't get much more elite, in terms of someone to learn under. 

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The issue I'd have with Barnwell's thought is don't want to wait another two games for this to happen.  I'd tell San Diego make the trade this week or we'll look elsewhere.

agreed, do it now or never.

3 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Singletary is the RB, he's cheap for the next 3-4 years.

He looks great, but he's also a rookie who is undersized and injured.  Gore is 36 years old, and while he's also played great, you have to wonder where his health will be 8 games from now.

If Gore or Singletary go down around game 11, the Bills will be stuck with Yeldon, who the coaches do not seem to trust.

The trade as proposed (which probably will never happen) does not replace Gore or Singletary, it replaces Yeldon with a better rental player for a playoff run.

The team is no longer in a rebuilding mode.  If they are serious about making a run, they will have to consider these types of deals.

1 hour ago, inthebuff said:

Should the Bills make the suggested trade?  Or should we stand pat with the running back by committee we have?

I'd rather stand pat and develop Singletary with Gore as the mentor, rather than trade for Gordon and limit Singletary's touches and progression.

That trade is fleecing san Diego. No way I do that if I'm them.

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Just more baseless babble from a "Hey, look at me", I am an insightful football guy.    

Make more sense speculating what's the next stupid stunt a Bills fan attempts that ends up on social media for this season.

Though, it'll be pretty tough to top Explosion guy and Over the railing face plant guy.  

...ahhhhhh..I was young once...

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Not me, Gordon looked horrible against the Broncos yesterday and he's looking for a big pay day. I agree we could use another RB yet not sure Gordon the guy I'd pursue. 

The layoff probably has to do with his ineffectiveness, give him a few weeks and I assume he will be back to form. 

The price tag is concerning but Melvin is a beast when in form 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Big No. Frank's been amazing and Devin will be back 100% for Miami.  And we can draft another RB in April as insurance for Gore. And finally there's still Murphy available who can give you  decent carries. We have options but no to Gordon.

I think you have to look at it from the following perspective. If you make deal for Gordon for 3rd or less you do so knowing full well he is walking after this year. We would then be in line for a comp pick as I wouldn't attempt to Tag him. In terms of this year and making that push for the playoffs he would be useful piece in the short term.

When I first read this thread, I thought it was a completed deal and I was like.....................

"What the F"?............. the last thing the Bills should have done is trade for a RB.

Then I saw "speculation" and then I was like "bullet dodged"

?

57 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

He looks great, but he's also a rookie who is undersized and injured.  Gore is 36 years old, and while he's also played great, you have to wonder where his health will be 8 games from now.

If Gore or Singletary go down around game 11, the Bills will be stuck with Yeldon, who the coaches do not seem to trust.

The trade as proposed (which probably will never happen) does not replace Gore or Singletary, it replaces Yeldon with a better rental player for a playoff run.

The team is no longer in a rebuilding mode.  If they are serious about making a run, they will have to consider these types of deals.

They can alway bring back Murphy or Ivory. Neither of which will have to learn the playbook. They aren’t great talents, but they’re plug and play.