Bill Barnwell's Speculation for a Bills trade for Melvin Gordon

inthebuff

Another running back who could possibly make a quick return to the market, Gordon's future with the Chargers remains in question. His holdout turned out to be a waste of time, as the Chargers didn't give in to his demands, while Austin Ekeler impressed as the primary back in Gordon's absence. In his 2019 debut Sunday, Gordon carried the ball 12 times for 31 yards and turned six targets into seven receiving yards in a 20-13 loss to the Broncos. The loss dropped the Chargers to 2-3 in advance of a home game against the Steelers on Sunday.

The former first-round pick has just under $3.3 million left in prorated salary on his deal. I don't think the Chargers are desperate to move on from Gordon -- they could wait out this final year and then either franchise him or pick up a compensatory pick in the 2021 draft -- but if he struggles and the Chargers lose to the Steelers and Titans in advance of the Oct. 29 trade deadline, would L.A. consider moving on from Gordon and going with Ekeler as its starter?

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truelac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueThe trade: Buffalo Bills send a 2020 third-round pick and RB T.J. Yeldon to the Chargers for Gordon and a 2020 fifth-round pick

After beating the Titans on Sunday, the 4-1 Bills have an 74.3% shot of making it to the playoffs, per ESPN's Football Power Index. FPI had the Bills at only 18% before the season, so the hot start has them in a different place and with different expectations than where they were before 2019 began.

Getting Gordon would give the Bills another valuable option for Josh Allen, who rebounded from a dismal performance against the Patriots in Week 4 with arguably his best game of the year against the Titans in Week 5. Allen's struggles against the Pats pointed out just how much Buffalo will need its running game and receivers to make an impact with the ball in their hands against top-level competition.

Buffalo has Frank Gore and rookie Devin Singletary in the backfield, but Gore is 36 and Singletary has missed the past three games with a hamstring injury. Can the Bills get by with that duo into January? Maybe. Gore and Singletary could still have viable roles in the offense even after adding Gordon, though, and the Bills could either choose to re-sign the Chargers standout or go after a compensatory pick during the offseason.

Should the Bills make the suggested trade?  Or should we stand pat with the running back by committee we have?

I'd rather stand pat and develop Singletary with Gore as the mentor, rather than trade for Gordon and limit Singletary's touches and progression.

• Like (+1) 2

I love how the article says "different expectations"

The outside perception of this team pre-season was SOOO different than our perception. It's so weird how everyone thought we would be a bad team, even with returning 10 starters on defense and drafting Oliver.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

Should the Bills make the suggested trade?  Or should we stand pat with the running back by committee we have?

I'd rather stand pat and develop Singletary with Gore as the mentor, rather than trade for Gordon and limit Singletary's touches and progression.

I wouldn't give up a third round pick, maybe a 5 and Yeldon with no pick in return.  But the Bills running game is hurting, defenses are keying on Allen and not worrying too much about the run.  Gore is great in spots, but he's not a lead back.  Maybe Singletary can be the lead guy with Gore filling in for the tough yardage, but it definitely won't hurt his progress to bring in an elite back to watch and learn from.

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

I would be fine if we made the trade as suggested, but I’m not stressing on the RB position as Gore has been fine with Singletary out and Singletary was a huge spark before he got hurt.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I don't see this. You dont give away assets for a position that you don't need. Beane is way smarter than that. We don't NEED a RB.

Now, if we're talking a 3 and Zay for Diggs and a 5, I'm all in.

Really not giving up much in the way of assets though other than Yeldon.  Suppose the Bills don't sign him at years end, believe they'd get a 3rd rounder back in comp pick  so basically traded Gordon and a 5th for Yeldon

10 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I love how the article says "different expectations"

The outside perception of this team pre-season was SOOO different than our perception. It's so weird how everyone thought we would be a bad team, even with returning 10 starters on defense and drafting Oliver.

To be fair, the Bills were the 30th ranked passing offense last year and scored few points. While some of the predictions seemed very low, it’s not as if they were returning a potent offense to the field.