What are we missing offensively?

Ramza86

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

>An answer at right tackle.

>Singletary.

>One more WR threat.

Agree completely!

Think overall the issue is still not quite enough talent, one more draft/FA haul is needed.  By year end maybe Ford will be the answer at RT, but overall think they'd be better moving him to guard and getting a legit RT.  Maybe then they don't re-sign Spain?   WR is likely 2 to 3 times better than last year, but still not quite there.  If Williams does continue to improve  that may help alot.  Maybe Williams will become last years Foster. 

Speaking of, am starting to wonder if one of these days I'll be seeing a post here "Foster to IR", think if Williams continues to improve may happen, particularly if other position suffers short term 2 to 4 week injury injuries and they need to make some moves to free up roster slot.

56 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

I love Josh but he is not that good.  Barkley didn’t have trouble completing passes down field against the Jets last year.  We can’t keep saying it is the line or receivers.

Josh is still much lacking in experience. What he DOES have is an absolute cannon for an arm. That said, he does not have a legit deep threat which would certainly loosen up opposing defenses, and in that sense even help the ground game.

The Bills are very close to being a complete, balanced football team.  Josh is gaining experience and when he gets a deep threat, anything is possible.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This I think is the real problem.  In hindsight, it was a mistake to release McCoy.  We need another RB.  Yeldon is not the answer to any questions at the position.

Not so sure. We have 1 loss. How many would we have if we kept McCoy? None, or more than 1?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They've asked Yeldon a question: "can we trust you to run the rock without coughing it up?".  10 carries, 1 fumble in games.  Presumably there is stuff going on in practice that enhances their lack of confidence.

Well then that's not a very bright OC then.  If players rushing and fumbling were grounds for benching, Josh Allen would be sitting for weeks now.  If Gore fumbled in his first game here, would he get no carries?  He coughed up 9 times in 3 seasons in Indy (another 36 times in 10 years in SF).

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Josh is still much lacking in experience. What he DOES have is an absolute cannon for an arm. That said, he does not have a legit deep threat which would certainly loosen up opposing defenses, and in that sense even help the ground game.

The Bills are very close to being a complete, balanced football team.  Josh is gaining experience and when he gets a deep threat, anything is possible.

I think the best we can hope for is the Big Ben/Russell Wilson (and Brady actually) path towards franchise QB for Josh. Limit his exposure but let him manage the game now with a stout defense and then with experience he will develop into a more capable QB. The tools are there, its very obvious. Yesterday was a step in that direction.

The lack of deep threat is Josh's own doing. He needs to work on accuracy there this entire bye week.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

>Singletary.

>One more WR threat.

Right side looked much improved yesterday. WR corps is set, IMO. These plus having Singletary back (in addition to the between-the-tackles tape Gore has already put down) will open up the deep ball.

Just to point out some things they are doing well.

1.  Run blocking, night and day from last year.

2.  Run-pass ratio is much more like an NFL offense....pass first or run first depending on matchup, love it!

3.  Mis direction plays that work.

4.  Completion % up a lot from last year

5.  Pass protection is iffy...sometimes it is good other times it breaks down too quick but it is improved from last year.  Some of the sacks are Allen holding the ball too long.

6.  WR production is up a lot too.  I know there is a lot of calls to add more and more talent is always better but we have decent WR at this point

As many have already said, I think it's a matter of consistency.  We start a lot of drives and don't finish in the 50-30 range of the field.  Allen takes sacks out of FG range,  or throws a pick.  The O-Line breaks down there.  We have a lot of penalties there.  People are dropping passes.  Just a series of ill-timed miscues in the same part of the drive.  I think it's just a matter of time before we break through there. 

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

We can get drives going...but it just looks like we cant get enough big plays down the field. Im not talking about just a streak down the field for 60 yards.

Is it lack of separation? Is it lack of play design?

I dont think we can use the excuse of there are 2 deep safeties so we can only take what they give. 

Every other NFL team doesnt seem to have that issue. And no team plays two deep the entire game. 

What is it and it this fixable?

If the offense doesnt shape up those tight ones will not always be winnable. 

The problem at this point is JA. He is also the solution because he certainly shows flashes of being good. Waay too many pointless qtrs when gifted with good field position.

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I'm going to that game.  If you're also there, I'd love to meet up and see you eat a hat, but not as much as I'd love to see us score 40+!

You planning on jumping through any flaming tables or nah?

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not so sure. We have 1 loss. How many would we have if we kept McCoy? None, or more than 1?

he has a good arm but have never seen him throw farther than 60 yds--which a good high schooler can do.

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Who's the current deep threat on this team outside of John Brown?  Defenses are putting a safety over the top on Brown.  In turn, Brown is doing a lot of his damage in the mid range game.  The one time Brown got open deep, Allen over threw him.  The other times that I can recollect, there has been a safety there for help resulting in an pass break-up or INT.  Perhaps with the addition of Duke, Allen can start to throw some back shoulder throws along the sideline.  And when Foster comes back, perhaps we can get some safety relief giving either him or Brown some one on one opportunities.  

McKenzie/Robert Foster have top end speed yet Daboll's been keeping Josh's long attempts at a minimum this season in part to injuries and think they want Allen to refine his small ball skills etc. Also it allows for longer drives and the defense more rest between series. 

In terms of the topic of what we need, I still think we need a true #1 TE, Knox may become one in a few seasons but isn't there yet. 

It's not what the Bills are lack but rather what they have. I wasn't able to watch the full game Sunday but it looked like Lee Smith had a few costly penalties again. Seems like drives are stalling from penalties and mistakes and that needs to be addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

>Singletary.

>One more WR threat.

I think they can survive with Nsekhe, but like you said another threat opposite John Brown puts this offense over the top. John Brown is playing great football though. They need to be able to stretch the field. A Julio Jones type receiver. Hell, get me a poor mans Julio and we're good. Don't waste this defense.