What are we missing offensively?

Ramza86

6 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Actually this is more of a positive thread. I wouldnt be posting this if I were negative. This season has me with hope. 

Just want to get the ship righted if we are going to seriously make a run for the playoffs.

We are on track to make the playoffs. Josh is learning, they're emphasizing and coaching the hero ball out of his mindset. The kid wants to learn but he has some bad habits that will take time to break. It's coming. The important thing for me is that everytime that Josh has been on the field this year and we've needed a score #17 goes and gets that score. Everytime. The kid is a winner. 

Edited by ProcessAccepted

Devin Singletary.

Once he is back, we will run the ball more earlier in the game, which will open everything up throughout the game. We wont have to show some pass plays that we have had to show early. Coaches wanna keep Frank fresh for the 2nd half, so we are going pass heavy to begin. With Devin back, we can spread the rock around and pound early. 

A true #1 WR would make this offense legit.  Brown and Beasley are very solid, but they aren't true #1's or gamebreakers.  If we added a true #1 to this offense, all kinds of great things would open up making Brown and Beasley almost unstoppable if defenses had to concentrate on a real #1.  

The Bills weren't all that great of a team 2 years ago when they made the playoffs.  This year's team is legit, and could be very potent on offense if we go out and get some help.  Benjamin was a PR move 2 years ago.  It's time to make a real football move this time and have confidence we can actually make a run with a legit WR.

Singletary will add much needed speed to the running game as well.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Simple, we have a young QB who hasn’t had the game slow down for him.

You can see when he gets it and when he doesn’t. 

On the Duke TD he got it. He understood the play design. Believed it would work and stood in their with good mechanics with his lineman being bull rushed into  him. 

On the Smith TD, same thing. He looked off the safeties and LBs and threw a perfect touch pass from a good base.

On other plays, he just doesn’t see open guys which leads me to believe he doesn’t fully understand the plays design and what he is seeing from the D, pre snap.

He is growing and learning. It is going to take time and I do t expect him to really hit his full stride for at least another season.

Having a stud # 1 receiver wouldn’t hurt though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

We can get drives going...but it just looks like we cant get enough big plays down the field. Im not talking about just a streak down the field for 60 yards.

Is it lack of separation? Is it lack of play design?

I dont think we can use the excuse of there are 2 deep safeties so we can only take what they give. 

Every other NFL team doesnt seem to have that issue. And no team plays two deep the entire game. 

What is it and it this fixable?

If the offense doesnt shape up those tight ones will not always be winnable. 

BS that "every other NFL team" doesn't seem to have that issue.

TBH, if one looks at many other successful offenses, they make their living on chump change plays.  Tom Brady has led or been near the top of the league in his receivers getting YAC for years now.  And usually when Allen is trying to take deep shots down the field (sometimes with catastrophic results) we can see that there are guys open underneath who could make some yards and move the chains.

My $0.02 is that if a team successfully takes the short stuff over and over and moves the chains, the chance for the big play happens.  That is the essence of the perennially successful WCO philosophy.   Nickle-and-dime the opponent to death with short high-probability plays where players are schemed open, then break the big play when they're tired and desperate to choke that stuff off so they leave that opening.

The problem with our "tight games" isn't lack of deep shots, it's drive-killing turnovers while we're moving the ball.

It's in Allen's DNA to think like you do, I believe.  I hope he successfully overcomes this.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Without Singletary we do not have a viable option running the ball outside of Gore. That hurts.  Defenses know what's coming when Yeldon is in the game. One dimensional is a tough way to play.  

Offensive line consistency...tough to begin with when the (virtually) entire line is new. Doubly so now with injuries.

Drops.

QB who just started his 16th game.  He's learning.

OC who sometimes seems lost.

Our offensive line has been extremely good this year.

When no one is schemed open or has 2-3 yards of separation, Allen will often roll out of a clean pocket, shortening the field and inviting the pass rush. What I’d like to see is for him to stand in there and take chances when players are singled up down the field. He did this on the game winning drive against the Jets, threw it up and allowed Brown to make a play, but he doesn’t do it with any consistency. There were a number of times yesterday and in other games where players are singled up down the field but Josh lacks the trust to put the ball out there. Hopefully in the games to come he’ll give Duke those opportunities since he’s a bigger body - as well as Knox and Sweeney.

• Like (+1) 1

I do not think there is anyway Brandon brings in a super star receiver, ruins the whole process. I could see him bringing in depth at line etc. I think this is the team TBH-- unless a high character guy like Von Miller is there for the taking I don't see it happening. We embrace a TEAM concept and I think they are OK with that. Next year maybe a superstar, but right now, this team is learning how to win, with no Antonio Brown-like crutch.

What will make a difference is more time doing what they did yesterday and letting the game come to them. Josh will get better at hitting the check-down a t the right time, giving them some room to run.

How about a real run game?  I get that Singletary has been out, but he had 10 carries on the season before that.  Yeldon has been given only 10 carries since??  He has had 2 carries total for the past 2 games.  Just handing off over and over to Gore isn't going to help Allen.  And how about using the young TEs?  (For catching passes)

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How about a real run game?  I get that Singletary has been out, but he had 10 carries on the season before that.  Yeldon has been given only 10 carries since??  He has had 2 carries total for the past 2 games.  Just handing off over and over to Gore isn't going to help Allen.  And how about using the young TEs?  (For catching passes)

This I think is the real problem.  In hindsight, it was a mistake to release McCoy.  We need another RB.  Yeldon is not the answer to any questions at the position.

• Like (+1) 2

The offensive line has only been together for 5 games.  I think the run game improves as they gel.  Singeltary injury also doesn't help.

Give the offense some time.  They'll look like a totally different unit come playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

They have one player at the moment that can stretch the field. Brown. He is also the Bills "#1" receiver so he get's double coverage over the top. Defenses won't let him go deep. Duke is a possession receiver. Beasley/McKenzie are slot guys. If Foster can get healthy he could be an option.  They could use the TEs in the seam but because of the OL they've been relying a lot on Lee Smith and he's not going to burn anyone up the seam.

1.  They are missing the "lack of mistakes", in other words stop turning the ball over and taking sacks in FG range.  Stop leading the league in false starts.  

2.  They have not made a lot of plays downfield, the deep ball has been unsuccessful.   Allen has improved his short game but the longer passes have been off target.

3.  The redzone TD % is high so that is good but what is missing maybe is more redzone visits.

4.  Convert on 4th downs...the Bills were bad last year and so far this year only 40% which is low.

5.  An RT....hopefully Nseke can get healthy and be more consistent that what we have had so far this year. 

6.  Throw guys open....

7.  Burn the blitz!

Edited by mattynh
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This I think is the real problem.  In hindsight, it was a mistake to release McCoy.  We need another RB.  Yeldon is not the answer to any questions at the position.

It's hard to get an answer when you don't ask the man a question.  Give him the ball.  Posters putting a lot on Singletary who is out 3 games in his first season after only 10 carries. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lack of another “ matchup” receiving target, injury at RB, mistakes by the QB/ OL. That’s about it. Allen needs to continue doing more of what he did yesterday, cut down the turnovers and Beane should be in the trade market. Singletary’s return will give the Bills a solid tandem at RB. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's hard to get an answer when you don't ask the man a question.  Give him the ball.  Posters putting a lot on Singletary who is out 3 games in his first season after only 10 carries. 

They've asked Yeldon a question: "can we trust you to run the rock without coughing it up?".  10 carries, 1 fumble in games.  Presumably there is stuff going on in practice that enhances their lack of confidence.

• Like (+1) 1